Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Ok I'm going to be totally contrarian here and say I like the original idea. It's different from other rigs I see on the road and I kinda dig the retro/alternative look. If you like it that's really all that matters.

If it were just me personally I might lighten the blue (go with a totally retro baby blue like the old classic chevy convertables) and/or maybe add one swirl/line of lighter blue along the cream to offset the darker. If you want more retro ideas check out some older autos. Maybe that'll spark some additional themes for you. But i think you're onto something and I like it!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #16

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
On second thought. . you could park it at downtown in most any city and get a free paint(tag) job as long as you leave the colors of spray paint cans right next to the rig. Make sure you put cans on both sides so the gangs can do both sides.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
On second thought. . you could park it at downtown in most any city and get a free paint(tag) job as long as you leave the colors of spray paint cans right next to the rig. Make sure you put cans on both sides so the gangs can do both sides.

HEY! No fair! That's MY joke.

Really, I DO appreciate all the comments so far. Suffice to say, I agree the dark blue is a bit much and the transition to the cream white too stark without anything else to help it.

I'm going to play with the "virtual" paint job for a while yet. If I come up with something I like I'll probably post a Version 2.0 pic for you to critique.

THANKS Y'ALL!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
If you want more retro ideas check out some older autos. Maybe that'll spark some additional themes for you. But i think you're onto something and I like it!

Hey there WheelingIt,

How about an early Corvette "cove" paint job.

Methinks the Santara will need lots of bondo to look this good.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B

Hey there WheelingIt,

How about an early Corvette "cove" paint job.

Methinks the Santara will need lots of bondo to look this good.
Oh yeah...now that's what I'm talking about...smooth baby. Very smooth
Old 02-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #20

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Now THAT is a paint Job! Want to lend it to my 17 yo for Prom? He'd really appreciate it
Old 02-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
Since you're talking about a DIY job then have you considered going to a local high school or Vo Tech? They might do it for cost of materials. Had my 63 Nova wagon painted that way, they even fixed my poor attempt at bondo.
Now this is a great idea! I wonder if they have a 'bake shop' large enough for a class A?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
To much blue, maybe to dark. Maybe also adding something with the blue other than white.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #23

Don't be afraid of painting your coach yourself. Just plan on lots of time to do the prep work. The better the prep, the better the results. Don't rush the prep work. You had better start greasing up your elbows now because you will have LOTS of sanding ahead of you.

If I was doing the job, I would put a less bold color (light blue, cream, etc) or two on the overall unit and then bring out the contrast and desired colors with the graphics. When I did ours, we didn't want to make it too busy either. The more we designed and compared, the more busy it got. It's not as busy as some but more than we originally thought we wanted. Steve Zaker at RV Stripes and Graphics does a great job of helping design the graphics. Here is the result of my do-it-yourself repaint.

FROM THIS

TO THIS

Sure, it's not a professional paint job but I am happy with the outcome. It didn't cost me $10,000 either to do. Some may feel it is too busy but we like it and, like others said, it's yours and that is who you need to please.

Just for information sake, I have around $2,500 invested to include the graphics. Not to mention around 150 hours of work. Oh, did I mention that you have lots of sanding to do? A top quality paint and primer can run around $350 +++ per gallon. And sandpaper is EXPENSIVE. And did I say you will be doing lots of sanding????

Good luck with your project if you do decide to do it. It was very enjoyable and satisfying. If you have any questions, feel free to ask but remember, I am not a professional by any means. But I doo know how to sand .

Bob

Bob

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #24

My opinion is a little too dark blue and needs another contrasting color to go along with it. A lot of the newer MH's have lots of graphics and mixed colors. It is yours and you are the one who has to like it. Good luck...You should post your final choice for us.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the comments!
I remember seeing your original repaint posts a while back and it is one of the reasons I am even considering doing the job myself. Your MH turned out great and I've considered something like your scheme as well. I might just come back around to it.

Hmmmm - my fingers are already starting to tingle just thinking about all the real estate I'll need to sand on!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I saw just about that exact blue/white repaint on an old Country Coach last summer. I kid you not. It really looked good. Shiny as all get-out. I think you do have enough white to balance the blue. So, here's a vote for liking your initial concept!

If you do use darker, solid colors, they will show any flaws in the actual body of the rig more than a lighter one would (i.e., dips, dents, etc).

The key to having this look good is the clearcoat shine on top. The shinier, the better and will do wonders for dimension and depth of any solid.

I'll take the minority stand and say go for it!

Best of luck to you!

Old 03-03-2011, 04:20 AM   #27

Just don't do like "Old Willy". He was three spaces down in a "non-discriminatory" RV park I was in a few years back.

He had a "vintage" model MH that was tan and white. He liked blue too and so he started in painting it two shades of blue, doing really not too bad of a job, but after he had done the front and the passenger side, he got tired and that was the way he left it. Wish I had a picture. It would have spurred you on.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
X2 !!!!!!
x3 that paint job looks way to dated
Closed Thread