Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #1

Please help. I think I found our 1st MH!

I am new to all this MH stuff and have been researching wich older mh to buy. i can afford around 20k. I like steel frames and fiberglass roofs and no signs of leakage inside. I saw 7 winnebagos, 1 monoco and 1 pace arrow today and all had signs of past leakage around skylight in shower. The pace arrow has a 1 owner old couple and it looks like it is great shape, except for the skylight leak that happened 2 yrs ago and was fixed. The pace was my favorite at 18k. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the frame?? I like steel. It has a rubber roof which i hear is inferior but I can't have everything for the price I need.
This is what it has:
ford 460 efi v8
102 inch body
transmission-4spd od
onan marquis 5000 gen.
tilt wheel steer
power jacks
banks system
dual air conditioner
side by side 8cu. fridge
14ft slide
45000 miles
and more other little things
low book 19,005 without banks system added

Any suggestions? If I offer I will have it checked but these older folks purchused it new from an rv dealer and have taken care of it. But still don't know about the frame??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello newrvlady and welcome to irv2!

Not sure what year Pace Arrow you are looking at, but found a brochure for the 1999 models. Concerning construction it states;

Platform Construction and Body Structure, Standard Equipment
Basement Floor Configuration
Steel Truss System
Vacubond Lower Floor
Heated Water & Holding Tank Compartments Radius Roof w/Duct for A/C
Vacubond Upper Floor
Vacubond Walls w/Smooth Ext.Fiberglass
Steel Wall/Ceiling Framing
Rubber Roof
Steel Outriggers

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The last thing I would look for in an RV would be the frame construction.

If it's made it this far and is still not twisted and all doors are still square in their frames I'd say the frame is fine.

The absolute main thing, in my humble opinion, is the floor layout. You have to feel good about it right away when you first walk in. If it fits the bill that way you can work with the other stuff.

Leaks happen, even on new rigs. I think I would ask to squirt a hose up on the roof and see if it's okay. If there is a known leak the seller would probably not want you to do that. Offer to dry the rig after you test so you don't make a mess of it.

I'm not a fan of rubber roofs but they work and can be repaired if necessary.

What year is the RV? What are the date codes on the tires? Any sign of alignment problems on the front tires?

Any cracks in the windshield? Windshields are $800 and up. Does the generator start and run?
Looking underneath...any oil dropping or signs of fluid leaks at all.

What do the batteries look like...clean or all white and crusty?

Does the awning work without binding and does the material look OK?

Good luck and remember the buyer needs a thousand eyes and the seller but one.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #4

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Great information so far. I purchased my first RV of any sort a few years ago, 650 miles away from home. I went all over the Moho with looking for what i had learned here at iRV2 but didn't feel that was enough. I knew a mechanic in the area, that also owned older Moho and worked on his, to do a thorough walk thru on the PA I was looking at. Maybe you can do the same.

I am sure you are prepared to do some work on it as I was. It was important to me that it was road ready to camp in, 600+ mile trip home and I was anxious to enjoy my Moho.

The PA did have two previous leaks, one at the skylight and one at the front drivers cap, that had been repaired and I have not had any further problem with these leaks. I have since cleaned the areas and resealed the roof myself.

Good luck on your decision and enjoy whatever Moho you decide on.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Looks like your getting alot of the info you were looking for already. Hope you shopping experience goes well and you find the coach that suits you the best. Enjoy the site, and your future travels. Be safe and Happy Motoring!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
What an exciting time for you! I purchased mine 2/28/12 and still feel the excitement!

A couple of thoughts--was the mh maintained while it "sat"? You didn't mention the year, but if it has low miles and is older and has been sitting, that would be a problem in my area--Phoenix. The heat is hard on "stuff" like belts, tires etc.

Test drive it! Uphill, downhill, across town, on the freeway. Seriously, especially to check out the Banks system. (I met a guy who was older than dirt at the Grand Canyon and he was driving a HUGE mh with all the bells and whistles. He had the Banks and I was impressed!)

Take a friend with you every time you talk to the seller. Another set of ears and eyes is a very good thing! In your excitement you may need another perspective! I know that I did and was thankful to have the opinions of others---one of whom owned a mh.

If the seller is not in a hurry, have him operate the systems for you. But not all on the same day. You will never remember what he shares about generators/inverters/converters; shorepower/house batteries/chassis battery; plumbing/city water/water pump/gray water/black water/dumping; all things propane! I am speaking from experience here--you may be a better listener and have a better memory than I do.

If possible, I would ask to rent it for a weekend and hit a local campground to try it out. Really. I have been making short trips nearby and learning the systems. I fear propane! That will be the last system I get into! But, I will know this mh inside and out before I take my first big trip! BTW, folks at campgrounds are usually very friendly and happy to answer any of your questions!

Enjoy!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #7

Year of pace arrow

Sorry for forgetting to state the year. It is a 1997 pae arrow. He said they went a lot of places in it and atleast start. It up in winter. I went in his house and it was so well taken care of also. Man seemed to be meticulous about his stuff. He even has a full packet printed out of all the specs on th mh along with nadaguide page.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It sounds like the PA could be a nice RV, but price is a little high. If everything checked out okay I would think it's value would be closer to 15k. Nada values are a bit on the high side for the current market.

If I had it to do over again within your budget, I would look for a '99 or newer Ford chassis, mainly because it has the larger wheels and tires and is rated at a larger GVWR.

Remember what ever you decide to buy is most likely going to need some additional $$$ to get it into reliable condition.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #9

Some very good advice above. My 2 cents:

What are the date codes on the tires? New tires will set you back a few thousand $ Make sure they are no older than 4 years.

Any sign of alignment problems on the front tires? Drive it down the street and on the interstate at 65 mph and see if it's all over the road. I spent $2,200 on front end problems on my first coach.

Look for soft spots in the floor, in the kitchen and bathroom. replacing the flooring will really cost you.

Make sure the dash air works, the levelers work, all the lights work, and all the appliances work well. Ask them to turn on the fridge and hot water heater a few hours before you come to inspect it.

And last but not least realize that your gas motor will get 4 - 7 mpg. I sold mine and got my 5th wheel because I couldn't afford the gas. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #10

Price

That is surprising that the price seems high because where I live good quality used rvs like this are going like hot cakes. ecspecially ones under low book. For the condition it looks really well taken care of but I won't want to spend too much. Starting to get cold feet about this whole rv thing. We really don't have money for repairs....
Old 03-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. If it's a really nice RV that does not need any work, then it may be worth close to nada retail price. But if the tires are over 5-6 years old and the unit has been sitting unused for a while it may need a few things.

I just hate to see anyone start RVing blind, not knowing what they are getting into.

If you have the unit checked by a reputable RV service center or if you know a technician that will check it out for you, it may be fine for your needs.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by newrvlady View Post
That is surprising that the price seems high because where I live good quality used rvs like this are going like hot cakes. ecspecially ones under low book. For the condition it looks really well taken care of but I won't want to spend too much. Starting to get cold feet about this whole rv thing. We really don't have money for repairs....
Hope you aren't getting discouraged, but truthfully...RVs are expensive to maintain. Do your homework and ask all the questions you can, and read the forum for tons on good information. Good luck to you.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote