Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #15

I too would give more thought to the short time and long distance of that adventure plan. To enjoy the destinations, not to mention the journey, would be near impossible. Perhaps scale down the plan a bit, keep the rv and continue to travel occasionally.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #16

You can buy a nice gas unit only a couple years old for a $100,000 or less that will most likely have any issues resolved. That does not mean there is no chance of something happening out on the road though. Why not buy a coach that you like, take it out for some short trips and learn about it like you said, and then take your journey but perhaps not quite so far this first time out? Why would you sell it when you return when you can make other trips in your own coach? 6,000 miles in 2 months is a lot of ground to cover, I can spend a week in one spot easily only a couple hundred miles from home. It sounds like fun and I am sure you will end up doing the best thing for you and your wife.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:32 PM   #17

I think you can get a nice RV for less than $100,000.

Here's a 2011 Allegro for $65,000

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classa...Road-30918.htm

Your plan sounds very doable to me even though it's a lot of miles. You're young. Go for it!! You shouldn't have any severe weather issues in your timeframe. We've been to Yellowstone/Tetons quite often in mid-Sept. in wonderful weather.

Have any RV check over mechanically by someone qualified. Like someone else stated, you mainly hear the horror stories on these forums. Folks with good experiences don't start a post saying "I haven't had any problems for ten years with my RV". If you look at one that's not terribly old and one without a lot of miles I think you can feel somewhat confident. If the owner has kept maintenance receipts that helps to know that he's kept it up. You can tell a lot just by walking in the door as to the kind of treatment the RV has had. Definitely negotiate for tires, if necessary. Read the date on them to see exactly how old they are. You don't want to go over 6-7 years.

Renting for two months would be extremely expensive and rentals are not taken care of that well by the renters.

Best of luck! It'll be a good break for you before children.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
I have friends (a couple) that did a 7 month cross country trip in the same scenario, about 15 years ago and we still talk about their adventure. They bought a fairly old <LeoCraft> for $23,000 at the time and sold it for $21000 when they returned. The most major issue is when they hit British-Columbian and started up some mountains the engine started acting up but a mechanic fairly quickly fixed it, it needed adjustments for altitude...
Thanks for that. My wife and I did some overnight backpacking in Zion about 4 years ago and I still remember every inch we travelled and we talk about it often still. Its part of the inspiration for this trip.

Quote:
I have been RVing myself since 1986 (am 58) and I find that most breaks won't leave you stranded, for instance if you lost the furnace you might use portable heaters, if you lost the stove you could use a portable butane stove etc...
I hear you on that. My sister and mother went in together for Xmas and got us one of those really nice coolers which we were thinking about taking. Could serve as a fridge if it came down to it. That will of course depend on how much space is a premium. Stuff that doesn't involve breaking down I think we have the gumption to get thru just fine.

Quote:
My only other comment is two months is short for 6000 miles (100 miles per day avg.)
This is one of my primary concerns and something we are still working through. I will definitely take your thoughts into consideration on this because I want to fight the urge to see everything at the cost of feeling like I'm constantly on the road or seeing everything but not experiencing anything.

One thing I would say is that approximately 2500 miles out of that 6k is getting across "flyover" country as quickly as possible on the way there and back. For example we are planning on doing 5-6 hundred miles both of the first two days to get out west staying at a truckstop/Walmart on the way. Our main intent for the trip is the all the national parks out west where we will be taking a much more leisurely pace. Including 5-6 overnight backpacking trips. Multi night stays in major cities and two weeks beach hopping on the PCH(that part is still really fuzzy and up in the air).

If I'm being honest, the other part of the reasoning for distance travelled is partly the whimsy of doing an around the country trip. Kind of one of those American dream things, but we might still be able to achieve that while cutting some of the mileage down.

At any rate, as I said, how far we're travelling and how many stops is still in flux at the moment. We are doing a first pass at our itinerary right now with mileage and travel time. When we are done with that I plan on posting it on the trip planning forum to get more detailed thoughts on where we might be going wrong. Also, I'm hoping that our shakeout trips will give us a more accurate picture of how long it REALLY takes to get somewhere that is 200 miles away......with things like realistic RV driving speeds and how long it takes to get situated at the destination. With my zero experience I feel pretty handicapped trying to guestimate these things.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I think you can get a nice RV for less than $100,000.
Yeah, honestly I'm hoping to find something under 80 which I think is definitely doable. You are the second person to link to PPL Motorhomes which seems based in Texas. How come that particular site?
Old 01-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #20

Don't worry about squeezing too much into a short timeframe.

My wife and I did 26 days in a car with a tent in 1998. We did a loop from Badlands to Yellowstone, Sequoia, Yosemite, Arches, Grand Canyon and many more. Some were just one-day stops. Others were two or three.

We live in the East and were not sure when we would get back, so we did as much as we could cram in. Sure we didn't get to "experience" it ALL, but I could make the argument that one year isn't enough time.

Well, it took us until this past summer to get back out there. We did a whole month in the MH with the two kids and dog. We had a similar aggressive itinerary. Wouldn't change it a bit. The kids had an adventure to remember. Some stops were overlooks. We did some hiking. Rode horses into Bryce Canyon and even rode our bikes around the valley floor of Yosemite.

If you see as much as you can, you might know what spots you may want to go back to for a more in depth visit later.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:46 AM   #21

DO IT! 10 years ago my wife and then 10 and 12 year old daughters traveled from west coast to east coast in an RV. I paid $6500 cash for a not so pretty but very mechanically sound 1985 winnebago brave and we drove the heck out if the thing. Enjoyed it so much that we came back and sold it for the same price we paid for it then bought a brand new coach. To this day it was one of the most amazing experiences our family has ever experenced. I would look for an older ( way less then $100,000) motorhome. Spend some money to have all the mechanicals gone through then have more money for traveling experiences and possible repairs.
Giant Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:12 AM   #22

Go for it! I think there is some good advice here. Only warning I would have is, you may get hooked! :-) Great way to create memories.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:12 AM   #23

You seem to have thought thru the process and are financially able to pay for $100 tho MH, I wonder if you have thought about the sales tax burden of that purchase, sure you can resell and get a large chunk of original cost but here in Florida each new owner of vehicle pays sales tax on sale price. A lot of dollars down the drain just in taxes that could go towards your adventure.

People seem to get scared of older MH but with reasonable research you can get nice one for a lot less than the price you have chosen.

To each his own but wife and I bought 14 year old mh ( $13,000 ) and drove 6000 miles you intend to go, with zero problems, but now I have been doing some forms of mechanical work most of my life and did my own inspection after reading forums like this.

Now I am certain you don't want one that old but do continue your diligent research and good luck with your search and Journey.
pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:00 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Excellent ideas thus far ! and DO go for it...
the saddest sound I've ever heard began with "I wish I had...."

and if you don't have enough quirky stops along the way - some food for thought of just Texas: Roadside Attractions Map - Texas
Who doesn't want to see "The world's largest paper airplane" or "Route 66's midpoint" or the giant roadrunner statue in Fort stockton, Tx ?!?!
Old 01-07-2016, 07:18 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
If that is your dream - I say do it!! Memorable moments are critically important to life and they require effort to make.

I agree with Dan, that is a lot of miles in a short period of time but it is possible. I would get a used coach that has great resale value. I don't know what that is but some research should tell you. Something with minimal setup time and stuff to fail. Slides, for example, probably are not needed since you will be on the go most of the time. I would think you could find a very nice gasser that fits the bill in the $50k range (or maybe less, I don't watch the market).

I have a friend (and his wife) that just came off a six month journey that was similar. He had a severance package and time to burn so they bought an older Pace Arrow (high-$30's, I believe) and went touring. They had a blast.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:43 AM   #26

As others have said, go for it. There's nothing like the feeling of excitement and anticipation as you begin your first big trip in a motorhome. We did around 6000 miles in three weeks, back in 1979, from KY to British Columbia - and enjoyed every mile.

Now that we don't work, taking more time and driving less each day is nice. One thing we have learned for longer trips is to schedule laundry days, or at least a early arrival or late departure in a campground with laundry facilities.

Also, before you get to Yellowstone, schedule a stop in Cody Wyoming and visit the Buffalo Bill Museum Plan Your Visit to the Buffalo Bill Center of the West We came across this on our first trip, and thought it would just be a run down tourist attraction. Nothing could be further from the truth, there are 6 different facilities and it's well worth a visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonblue View Post
... For example we are planning on doing 5-6 hundred miles both of the first two days to get out west staying at a truckstop/Walmart on the way. Our main intent for the trip is the all the national parks out west where we will be taking a much more leisurely pace. Including 5-6 overnight backpacking trips. Multi night stays in major cities and two weeks beach hopping on the PCH(that part is still really fuzzy and up in the air).

If I'm being honest, the other part of the reasoning for distance travelled is partly the whimsy of doing an around the country trip. Kind of one of those American dream things, but we might still be able to achieve that while cutting some of the mileage down....
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:20 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonblue View Post
Yeah, honestly I'm hoping to find something under 80 which I think is definitely doable. You are the second person to link to PPL Motorhomes which seems based in Texas. How come that particular site?
Have you consider a new Jayco Greyhawk or Redhawk Here's a new Greyhawk for about $72,000 https://www.rvdirect.com/featured-motorized.php
Most folks purchase new between 20% to 34% off MSRP. Class C Motorhomes | Jayco, Inc.

Best Regards,
Nick
Old 01-07-2016, 08:27 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
and if you don't have enough quirky stops along the way - some food for thought of just Texas: Roadside Attractions Map - Texas
Who doesn't want to see "The world's largest paper airplane" or "Route 66's midpoint" or the giant roadrunner statue in Fort stockton, Tx ?!?!
Awesome!!!! My wife and I keep talking about how we want to see those quirky Americana type things but we didnt know how to find them!!! Thanks for that resource!