Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2016, 07:49 AM   #29

You are young, 6000 miles is a piece of cake for you. However, I think that your estimate of 6000 miles for that trip is way too low. You can't depend on sites like Mapquest to give the real life mileage. There will be many side trips and unexpected things popping up as you go. My guess is about 8000 miles.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
I think your idea is great. But your time on the road is not with hiking and back packing and your number of stops unless you want a drive through experience. For instance just a couple, Teton two full days, that's three nights. Yellowstone, at least four days with small hikes, that's five nights. Glacier three days that's four nights. Olympic, although this is a drive around with several entrances three days. These are just quick and dirty looks, in each there is so much to see. Yellowstone alone I would say a full week to Ten days with one over night pack in, get a couple books on the parks and high light the must sees then add two times the time to see to what you think. I am all for what you are going for and you budget is great. Only the two of you, consider a class C and don't be afraid of a ten year old coach "in great condition" with low miles. On any purchase have a pro check it out, cost will be $350-$500. We just dropped from a 40 DP to a 31' C towing a heavier rid than yours , have plenty of room and power. Good luck.

LEN
Old 01-07-2016, 08:08 AM   #31
Community Moderator

I agree you should research renting MUCH more. You should be able to find a very nice, clean rental for the 60 day trip. The benefit to you is that should some major breakdown occur, the rental company should be able to get you a replacement, and you continue your adventure without worrying about repairs.

Have you seen the movie "RV" by Robin Williams ? This should be mandatory to watch this prior to your journey..... They almost destroyed the RV on their trip.....good thing it was a rental with lots of rental insurance !
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
EonBlue , we had the money to buy a much newer and bigger MH last year when we bought our 88 Winnebago. I don't expect that you would want to do the work I did to ours , but the fact that we have just at $5000.00 invested in it and everything works, it is more than adequate as first timers. That included buying the unit, all parts and repairs, licensing, taxes and full coverage insurance valuing it at over 3 times what we have in it! I would definately not pay $100,000 0r even 50,000 to start this trip, hell where we live such a purchase would cost minimum of $8600.00 on $100,000 just in sales tax, which you would never recover! You can surely find a beautiful well kept unit you'd like for $ 25-30,000 that you could resell or keep if you like rving later! Just my opinion and have fun no matter which way you go! And just think , you could start your kids college fund with the money you'll save! Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #33

Hmm.....you guys and gals recommending and older used model are starting to make me seriously consider finding something much cheaper. We are WILLING to take a large hit on resale, but I would much rather avoid doing that. As my OP probably makes obvious, my main concern has been avoiding issues on the road and I just kind of figured throwing money at the issue might help do that, but if I can avoid doing so I would rather. Honestly the thought of buying something older just scares me given my inexperience and the relatively short duration of the trip.

So, question for those who say don't be scared of something older. How old is too old? How many miles is too many miles? I realize these questions are subjective, but using the details of our situation as context what would you do?

There is a 2004 Fleetwood Bounder with 33k miles literally 2 minutes from my house listed at 39,000 for example.

2004 Fleetwood Bounder, La Vergne TN - - RVtrader.com

It has new tires and new batteries. Another thing that's just kept me away from older and used is my utter lack of automotive expertise, but I suppose an RV inspector would help ease some of that worry.

ETA: I'm not necessarily looking to buy the first thing I come across, just using this particular coach as an example.
eonblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #34

Also realize you can't make as many miles a day in a motorhome like you can in a car. Plan on 60 - 65 mph and probably not as many hours a day as you would in a car.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
They made that coaches exterior look perfect !!!

The inside is where MaMa will struggle - but that looks promising - test drive that puppy (ALL the features) and make an offer for that OLD thing

remember studied disinterest !
Old 01-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm with HHIDan, the only flaw I see in your plan is how much ground you're wanting to cover.
I know 100 miles in a day is very easy, and I assume that there will be 300 mile days followed by a couple of days parked and seeing the sights.
The only thing I'd suggest is to be prepared to slow down and spend more time at some places you really like, at the cost of not getting to places that were to be at the end of the trip.
In my experience the push to 'go' at the expensive of 'but I'd like to see more at this place' is not always a good trade, and you find yourself rushing when you really should be relaxing.
Podivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:33 AM   #37

Let me just start by saying, I'm thoroughly jealous of your trip... Sounds like fun... pay no attention to the naysayers... you do what you want to do...

My two cents... In no particular order
  • People have given good advice on what rig/year/type/mileage/color/brand/options to buy... my advice, get what you want
  • Tires... this is certainly a grey area.. I'd error on the side of caution
  • Gas/Diesel - seems like you're going gas, but I wouldn't completely rule out diesel... I say, get the best deal you can no matter the fuel type
  • Floor-plans matter !!!
  • Don't for get to buy an extra large SD card for you phone/camera - maybe a GoPro is in order
  • Relax, breath deep and make sure you have a credit card with LOTS of room in case of emergency
  • Take a telescope and stargaze with your beautiful wife
  • Stay with a "rough draft" version of your trip... Impromptu side excursions are THE BEST
  • Research/worry less.... camp more !!
  • Turn the radio off and talk to your wife... if you're planning on having a baby... there won't be as much time to talk when the little bundle of joy arrives...
  • If using a GPS and traveling with a toad/trailer - VERIFY !!!
  • Download the Diners, Drive-in's and Dive's app and taste, as well as see the trip
Sorry for the length of my post... I tend to ramble...

Finally... as others have mentioned.. Don't completely rule out the "getting hooked" factor... I'm assuming you live in the Nashville area.. There are some pretty cool places to camp in your general area.. and, as a father of three (13, 14 & 15), I can't imagine the last 10 years without the memories of our camping trips as they've grown through the years... I dare say you might want to keep the RV around and create some with your impending new baby..

Good luck... Godspeed and I hope you have MANY miles and SMILES !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
eonblue,
You are on the right track. Just remember to slow down and enjoy the ride. I am not sure a rental would allow you to tow your car. I think a good used coach is wise, but like suggested earlier, have it looked at by an expert first. I chose to buy new only because I needed the extra towing capacity (8000lbs vs. 5000lbs). Watch the length as many state and national parks have limits on RV's. It looks like you will be hitting some popular places so you will need to make reservations well in advance if possible.
Following are links to the websites I use most when trip planning:

koa.com
goodsamclub.com
recreation.gov
reserveamerica.com

Good luck, God Bless and safe travels. One last suggestion, buy a coach that you will be happy with. After your trip you just may decide to keep it.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonblue View Post
So, question for those who say don't be scared of something older. How old is too old? How many miles is too many miles? I realize these questions are subjective, but using the details of our situation as context what would you do?
The single best question I would ask a seller... When was the last time you camped in this RV ?

Personally... I'd want to purchase an RV that's been used recently.. lots of things can crawl into places and make their home if the rig hasn't been used for a particularly long time.. Now, I'm not saying you should necessarily stay away from any rig.. just look long and hard at any RV that hasn't seen a campground in over a year..

Just my two cents !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #40

Sounds like a great trip but don't get so set on seeing all those places that you miss really seeing any of them well. Be flexible and if you have give up someplace to really enjoy a different spot that's OK .
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #41
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Great plan, as others have stated it might a bit ambitious to do 6,000 mi in two months, but I'm sure you will be able to adjust your itinerary when you are on the road. As far as which RV to pick, you have some good advice, but personally, for the two of you, I would pick something like

2014 Solera Sprinter Diesel 24MS for Sale - M205 - PPL Motor Homes

It is a newer MB diesel on a Sprinter chassis, easy to drive, very dependable, great fuel economy, and should have a good resale value.
Having said that, whatever you are comfortable with would be a good choice.
Enjoy the planning and above all, enjoy your trip. When you get back, post your experiences and let the rest of us who didn't take a trip as such could benefit.
All the best!
Old 01-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #42

Sounds like a fun trip to me. Everyone has a different idea. I would suggest checking for a used motorhome for sale by a individual. I think for the person willing to look and shop can find very good deals on used RVs. I would rather have one that has been used fairly recent and not parked for an extended time. Check everything out well. I would suggest since you are going to be new to the motorhome business to get a friend or someone you trust to go with you. I would not be in a hurry and go several times to cover all bases. I think an individual would be more understanding with letting you look. Most dealer sales people want to rush you to make a decision. Look at several ask a lot of questions read RV material and RV classified. I think you could buy a gas motorhome you would be proud of way under the $100,000.00 figure. If you have a friend or a friend knows someone that has used a motorhome would be a good place for help. Most of these guys are interested and like to look at motorhomes and take about them.
strongcity is offline   Reply With Quote