Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cool Pleated Blinds Strings

Hi
A real DUMMY here but can any one explain what purpose the strings on the Pleated Window Blinds actually do?In a MH
Can't one just buy a DAY/NIGHT normal pleated blind like I have in my house & operate the blind by pulling on the control string ? No string going to a knob on the sill,I,m sure everyone is familiar with a standard home blind
Why the strings on a MH blind????
Thanks
A Dummy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 12:27 PM   #2

MCD company in Texas has the best solution for dealing with these strings. IMHO, these blinds with their strings are the dumbest invention ever. And, they don't even keep out the light. We replaced all of ours before our trip to Alaska and they paid for themselves just on that one trip.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #3

I have changed 4 sets of these strings on different blinds in my 5th wheel. Simply put, they act as the levers to raise and lower the blind. The strings criss-cross above and below the blind. There is a small coil spring holding them together at the top. I bought replacement kits at an RV store in El Cahon CA. 5 sets for around $15.
We are looking to replace all of these blinds with something more durable.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDBurk View Post
I have changed 4 sets of these strings on different blinds in my 5th wheel. Simply put, they act as the levers to raise and lower the blind. The strings criss-cross above and below the blind. There is a small coil spring holding them together at the top. I bought replacement kits at an RV store in El Cahon CA. 5 sets for around $15.
We are looking to replace all of these blinds with something more durable.
If you don't mind spending some money, take a look at these. They are not cheap, but they are well made and the company provides excellent support.
There are of course others but I can vouch for these Hands Down.

MCD Innovations
Old 10-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #5

You can definitely buy a 'house-type' pleated shade. We did for our bedroom - a blackout one. However, it didn't have the two option - day and night like the rest of the motorhome ones had. I'm not sure if all the "house-type" shades were like ours
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #6

For about 5 dollars tou can buy enough string at a fabric store to do all your blinds twice over with string to spare. Once youve done a couple it becomes pretty simple. Soak the string in warm water with about 6 tea bags for an hour or so and you have a perfect color match.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
One of the reasons for the strings is to hold the shade in place and keep it from banging while driving. They actually work well if you take care of them, adjust them correctly and operate them gently. I replaced all of them in Monaco with MCDs after 9 years of use. I never broke a string. In 11 years, my sister's coach only broke one.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote