Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-29-2016, 10:45 PM   #1
Pocket hose

Anyone use a pocket hose to rv input with pressure on it all the time? Wondering if they will not blow up after a while.

larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 11:06 PM   #2
I don't think they are recommended for drinking water if that's what you were thinking. I had one that I used for the black tank flush and misc utility. It started leaking like a soaker hose one day when I was trying to test an outboard motor. I think the dog bit it and just maybe it was not the fault of the hose. I will buy another at some point.

coupevilleDF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:36 PM   #3
I looked into this a year ago. I really wanted a couple of 50' hoses for the camper because one of the places I go most of the summer I need it to get to the water spigot. It would be nice not to have a mountain of hose in the basement. I read review after review from the bottom of the line to the most expensive and they were all the same....not durable. Most will separate....just a matter of time and with some it's not that much time at all. Another issue is the volume of water they will flow due to the ends being restrictive. I didn't really care about the drinkibility aspect of it as we use it pretty much for showers and dishes but quickly determined the pocket type hoses aren't where they need to be yet for me to gamble on them.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:57 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
They are junk and they do not stand behind them.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:21 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
compact hoses

I just purchased a "Zero-G"hose made i think by Teknor-Apex, a compsny I am familiar with thru food service biz. Lowes has them for less than $40. Have used twice and seems to be substantial quality for a "compact" hose. States they are safe for potable water, however, I like white so as not to confuse drinking with that other flavor.
Tim, with co-pilots Bert n Ernie-
Felines Extraordinaire
'94 Pace Arrow 33X, 454 7.4L; '05 Jeep G. C. LTD
tim.kyfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:28 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree they are junk. Bought 2 of the "heavy duty" ones that are black with the brass fittings. Lasted 3 or 4 times before pin holes started forming everywhere.
Brian and Tammy
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
Mercury Mariner Hybrid
Blue Ox Baseplate, Blue Ox Tow Bar, Patriot Braking
Brian W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:14 AM   #7
Originally Posted by larry koenn View Post
Anyone use a pocket hose to rv input with pressure on it all the time? Wondering if they will not blow up after a while.

Lowes carries a new design and I think 500 lb busting and drinkable looks a whole lot better than the other junk.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:01 AM   #8
Originally Posted by larry koenn View Post
I have tried several different brands because they are so convenient. They have ALL failed.
I got a Zero G from lowes and it is still ok but not for constant pressure. It has lasted far longer than a pocket hose and is easy to handle.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38V
pcurt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:26 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a Gorilla hose last june - it blew apart last week - I sent them an e-mail with purchase date and Amazon order number- could not believe it but they sent a new one. one year warranty actually honored no questions asked
Dave and Suzy, Quincey and Chica
My two youngest in Coast Guard
2006 Monaco Knight 40ft
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:33 AM   #10
National RV Owners Club
Handy Hose flat roll up hose works great. American SpecialtyŽ Handi-Hose & Reel (RT-50) - Garden Hoses - Ace Hardware
Bill, Kathi and Zorro; '05 Beaver Patriot Thunder
2012 Sunnybrook Harmony 21FBS (SQEZINN)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:49 AM   #11
I have both versions of the pocket hoses. I use the black, brass version for my deionized water rig and use the cheaper version for my RV.

The black, brass version is definitely not for drinking water. It says so on the label that the brass fittings contain lead. The cheaper green version is all plastic, so I assume it's safe for drinking water and I use one hose for the city water inlet and the other hose for flushing my black tank (I'm assuming there's no check valve on the black tank flush so I'd rather use a separate hose). We don't drink the house water in the MH, but we do brush our teeth and whatnot.

I've had these hoses for a month or so and minimal use. But no problems so far. I doubt they would stand up for constant use, but the lightness and portability makes them very attractive for what I use them for.

All that said, they are not cheap so you are paying a premium price for something that is probably not very durable, but seems to be ok for light duty like I use it for.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:58 AM   #12
Yup--I bit and bought one from HD while in Phoenix this years--used it a few times and so far so good. Doesn't sound like its going to last long based on comments above. Do like the compact nature of the hose vs a std garden hose. The fact that the hose stays pressurized after use so you have to discharge all pressure before disconnect--or you get sprayed--not nearly as handy as the TV ad--duh! Also note that if you don't have a lot of water pressure, the hose doesn't fully expand and you get seriously reduced water flow.....
Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #13

I was in need of a new water hose and stopped in Camping World just outside of Little Rick, AK. They had a drinking water safe hose that is designed like a pocket hose but much sturdier and not not quite as compact as a pocket hose. Bought one just to try it out and I really like it. Comes in 25' so the next time I see another I get an extra for when needed. Wasn't cheep but I think worth the money. I looked on the CW website but did not see.

I use and carry the other pocket hoses to wash the RV and when needed to connect to tank washout. Don't use them for drink water connection.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #14
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

I use one when washing the roof. The first one I had blew open becasue it was connected to 90psi house faucet.
Looked on the box, and they are rated at 65psi (from what I remember)..

I would not use it with constant pressure for a house coach supply line.

2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2014 Jeep Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -South Orange County Ca.
dpinvidic is online now   Reply With Quote