Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Pole building for the RV- is it worth heating?

We are having a 30x40x15 building put up next month to house our RV, tractor, cars, etc.
The price to insulate is $5000. I can have a heat system installed for practically free from a friend in the business.

Question is- will I get $5000 value out of heating the building? I have never winterized my RV, so I have no idea how difficult it is. We do use the motorhome twice monthly during the winter months. Is winterizing a simple, quick process?

Also, are there other benefits to keeping the building heated to 45 degrees- tires, electronics, etc?

I am just unsure if it is a worthy $5000 investment to insulate and heat?

2015 Thor ACE EVO30.1

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Note only the cost of the insulation and heating system, you have to consider the cost of the energy to heat the building...gas or electric.

I think it is simplier to winterize the RV.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Depends on your want of ease versus cost.
My winterize:
Drain water heater/bypass valves, water tanks, had pre checked black and grey at last CG
2 gallons RV antifreeze (~$8)
Pull suction line from pump, run each faucet until pink from both lines (hot/cold)
Drain any low points (disconnect spray port as I broke it the first year from freezing water)
Dump remaining anti freeze in drains
Done. (1 hour give or take)
Rinse before use.

Some used compressed air. Not MY choice as I do not want the chance of oil in the lines (slim but my peeve).

Repeat when DW decides we need to go out one last time.

Heated storage, dollars to heat, to around 45 degrees............
2015 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #4

Before you build....
Look at putting inch think foam board under the roof if it is going to be steel.
This makes an huge difference. Snow doesn't melt off as fast. There is no condensate to drip off the inside when you heat the space.

I am in about the same weather situation you are (SE MI) and I usually keep my coach in a heated pole barn. I love it. I get to work on it (it is a 40yo classic) in relative comfort. But, the times I have had to get the coach out of the barn in freezing weather have caused me to always clear the water system by Halloween.

It is not hard to do and even easier if you have your own dump. Either blow the water system clear with compressed air or bypass the water heater (you will have to drain it if you blow the system out) and use the pump to fill the system with red pop or vodka. Red pop has the advantage that it is cheaper and you can see when the system is full, but the vodka does not need to be flushed out in the spring.
Then, fill the traps so they don't freeze and crack.
When you have done that, dump all the tanks one last time.

Now you have to wait for spring..........

A lifelong waterman and his bride going dry places for as long as the fuel money lasts.
MattC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Here's two observations from my point of view.

Take whatever they say they think it might take to heat it, and triple that. Anybody who tells you they can seal a pole barn to any level of windproof is 'blowing sunshine up your skirt', to put it politely.

The other point is humidity, even a heated building will be damp, if vehicles go in and out during the winter and come back in wet or snowy, it may be very damp. The heat at 45 is enough to melt snow and put it into the air as humidity, but the furnace won't be running enough to burn it off.

IMHO you have to either have the building uninsulated and very well ventilated, or fully sealed up and heated to well above the 45 mark. There's no middle ground.
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #6

You will never be sorry you insulated the building, and set it up for heating.

Mike 2007
Mike2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Mike2007

You will never be sorry you insulated the building, and set it up for heating.

Mike 2007
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
There was no doubt to insulate when we had our building (24x36x14 ) built earlier this year. Although it was no where near $5000 extra,, we are in a ,, ah,,, "warmer" climate.. Ya right, it gets COLD here in northern AR... But then we have no plans at this time to heat it.

Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote