Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
polish counter tops

I have an 2006 Holiday Rambler and over the years the counter tops in the kitchen and bath have dulled, I can only assume they are imitation corian.
The inserts for the sink and stove were stored under the counter by the previous owner and were not used, thus they are bright and shiney, I would like to polish the surface to the original luster.
Any one have any ideas ? I have a 10" orbital buffer I use when I wax, thinking I could go to the auto parts store and get some fine buffing compound.
Yea or Nay ??????
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Special Tools

Corian and Corian like counters can be refinished and restored to brand new condition using special sanding & polishing pads. One of my neighbors is a Corian expert and I've seen him do it many times.

There's about a bazillion videos of the process out there.

how to refinish corian countertop - Bing Videos
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
if they resin composite or corian there is a link at the dupont site that explains how you can polish them to bring back the shine,

How to Clean Corian® | DuPont? Corian®
it wont take much unless they are scarred
but a fine scotch brite pad and cleanser like bon ami will do wonders
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
I have an 2006 Holiday Rambler and over the years the counter tops in the kitchen and bath have dulled, I can only assume they are imitation corian.
The inserts for the sink and stove were stored under the counter by the previous owner and were not used, thus they are bright and shiney, I would like to polish the surface to the original luster.
Any one have any ideas ? I have a 10" orbital buffer I use when I wax, thinking I could go to the auto parts store and get some fine buffing compound.
Yea or Nay ??????
Try this:
Putting a Fresh Shine on an Old Countertop | Kitchen Countertops | Kitchen | This Old House

Be aware that Corian and similar surfaces actually scratch easily ... try the cleanser or white Scotchbrite before trying polishing compound. Mask the wall area ... it's wet and messy.

Final polishing with:
Hope's Countertop Polish

Works well but does need to be reapplied fairly frequently to maintain the shine.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #5

I wanted to jump in this thread with some first hand experience. My stick house has a lot of corian tops and over the years they began to look dull and some scratches. A company that I use for my rentals came over with a heavy duty looking buffer and many different types of pads. After 7 hours my tops looked like brand new. I mean brand new. Two months ago I purchased another Motor Home that had corian tops with scratches and just dull tops. Again they came out and worked their magic and once again they look brand new. The reason I am sharing this with you is I tried using some of the methods found on the web and while it made a slight difference there is no comparison from what the professionals did. Yes, it was not cheap but well worth it. I think it depends on the how severe your scratches are and the overall condition of the tops. You can find one of these professionals buy searching out a well respected installer and fabricator of Corian in your area. Hope this helps.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #6

I did it myself and it came out like a mirror. A buffer, various pads and the right cutting & polish compounds make it a snap. I use automotive cutters and polishes and it works just fine. Deep scratches & gouges will need to be sanded out first with progressively finer grits until gone, then cut & polish.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I've done my a couple of times. I use a 5" orbital sander and synthetic polishing pads with grits ranging from 500 to 4000. The synthetic polishing pads only need water as a medium. You don't get a high shine until you reach the 4000 grit level and 5000-6000 is needed for a really high gloss.

If there are scratches that run fairly deep, you will have to get down to the 300-500 grit range to smooth them out before moving up to the "polishing" range of grits. 2000 grit will get you to a satin-type finish.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote