Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #1

polishing your motorhome.

Has anyone used a random orbital buffer to polish their motorhome and what brand of polish worked best.
faraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #2

The only way as long it is a random so you don't burn the paint. I hand wax on and buff off and then hand micro fiber cloth. I have two different ones and don't remember brand I would not think it matters unless you want a pro one.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraway View Post
Has anyone used a random orbital buffer to polish their motorhome and what brand of polish worked best.
My 5th wheel owner manual said for gel coat finish to use any automotive or boats wax or polish and to do it twice a year, the easiest way for me was to use ICE liquid wax, very easy to apply and no need for orbital buffer. Used it for so many years on my old Winnebago (1992) and it look like new. No need for very expensive RV product !!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just bought the Mothers Wax Attack kit, will let you know when the weather warms up a bit.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMANICHEL View Post
My 5th wheel owner manual said for gel coat finish to use any automotive or boats wax or polish and to do it twice a year, the easiest way for me was to use ICE liquid wax, very easy to apply and no need for orbital buffer. Used it for so many years on my old Winnebago (1992) and it look like new. No need for very expensive RV product !!!!
Be careful with ice it is a synthetic wax may not be good for any stick on graphics follow directions.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post

Be careful with ice it is a synthetic wax may not be good for any stick on graphics follow directions.
Thank you Rooster I will check that out before using ICE on my new fifth wheel !!!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
to get all the scratches out I use a variable speed buffer such as a Makita 9227c, and 3M machine Polish or Meguiars Mirror glaze #3 I haven't noticed any difference between the two, and put it on with Orange pad, carefull to keep RPM's low so you don't burn paint.
Then I use Griots garage 6" random orbital with black pad to put on Rejex sealer, and remove by hand, you dont need random orbital to put on, I just think its easier and faster
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMANICHEL View Post

Thank you Rooster I will check that out before using ICE on my new fifth wheel !!!
I am reading the instruction on the bottle and ICE can be use on any surface including plastic, vinyl, rubber moulding, clear or gelcoat paint it can also be use on the shade or sunshine. .
Old 03-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use Meguires one step cleaner wax. It not only cleans and waxes but completely gets rid of the black streaks. It's easy to apply and easy to wipe off. Twice a year is a good practice too. If you stick to twice a year, you won't need anything with a plug.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #10

I considered getting a Porter Cable random orbital buffer earlier this year, but settled on Dewalt 7 inch variable speed buffer. It is a sweet machine and leaves no swirl marks on the clear coat. I use a very non-aggressive 3M buffing compound and a white buffing pad which is also a very non-aggressive pad. The Porter Cable buffer weighs about 2 lbs. more than the Porter Cable and that is a factor. I hand wax and buff. I have clear coat and no vinyl, so that is something to consider. My son will use my buffer on his gel coat boat this spring, but will use a compound and pad for gel coat.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefn View Post
to get all the scratches out I use a variable speed buffer such as a Makita 9227c, and 3M machine Polish or Meguiars Mirror glaze #3 I haven't noticed any difference between the two, and put it on with Orange pad, carefull to keep RPM's low so you don't burn paint.
Then I use Griots garage 6" random orbital with black pad to put on Rejex sealer, and remove by hand, you dont need random orbital to put on, I just think its easier and faster

Forgot to add after the sealant is applied and set for a minimum of 12 hours I top it off with a coat of Meguiars Ultimate wax to bring out the Depth of the paint, lot of work 1 weekend a year, but in my opinion well worth the effort
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome