Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Which type oven do you prefer?
Standard LPG oven 31 34.07%
Convection oven 60 65.93%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2018, 05:56 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Our Windsor did not come with the gas oven and the DW is having a tough time learning to use the convection!
When we asked a local dealer they did not think it was a big deal to change the stove to one with an oven. Their attitude was more along the line of BTDT multiple times.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2018, 06:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
The induction cooktop won't work with a nonmagnetic pan. As far as I can tell, I am also nonmagnetic. I also don't stand that close to the unit except when stirring. Could you provide more detail please?
There has been extensive pro and con investigation over the effects of radio frequency exposure on human bodies. Amateur Radio has extensive information warning about RFI exposure. There are many other sources, some classified. You can find source material to argue either side.

Personally, there are enough things around that are potential sources of harm so I avoid what I can.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:02 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
When we asked a local dealer they did not think it was a big deal to change the stove to one with an oven. Their attitude was more along the line of BTDT multiple times.
While I have utterly no idea what BTDT means, some RV's are easy to install an oven in (mine was). You could order mine with, or without an oven so it was made to accommodate one. It was a matter of removing a few drawers along with their hardware, remove a few screws, disconnect the gas line and slide the new unit in and re-attach with screws and gas line. Test gas line connection, you're done!

Other units, like the earlier Windsors, had the corian counter in the way of a slide-in. They require major modifications to install a cooktop/oven combo like mine has. Removing the corian in front of the burners to install a slide-in unit could cause weakness in the remaining counter top, causing it to crack/break. It might be easier to install a stand alone oven without molesting the existing cooktop burners or counter top...??
Old 04-25-2018, 01:17 PM   #32

Life's too short to worry about radio waves.

We're all-electric with Convection and Induction cook top.
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:27 PM   #33

Been There Done That

often followed by no T shirt

as in BTDT nobody gave us a shirt for being there.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #34

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Our Windsor did not come with the gas oven and the DW is having a tough time learning to use the convection!
Yup same here, tried the convection oven several times making my morning biscuits..Dry on top and raw in the middle....YUK!

Went to Dave & LJ's in Woodland WA. and had them pull out the 2 burner (gas) cooktop and install a 3 burner cooktop with a 21" high gas oven.. NOW my biscuits are good and the roasts/casseroles/pies/cakes/cookies/ meat loaf's all come out looking and tasting like they should.
Also I use a cooktop percolator coffee pot, so do not have to even fire up the gennie for my early morning coffee..Lets the neighbors sleep in..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:04 PM   #35

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
Other units, like the earlier Windsors, had the corian counter in the way of a slide-in. They require major modifications to install a cooktop/oven combo like mine has. Removing the corian in front of the burners to install a slide-in unit could cause weakness in the remaining counter top, causing it to crack/break. It might be easier to install a stand alone oven without molesting the existing cooktop burners or counter top...??
This is what Dave & LJ's did for our installation with wrap around counter top..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1545 (1).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	200437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1546 (2).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	200438  

Name:	IMG_1602 (2).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	200439  
Old 04-25-2018, 03:10 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Saddlesore, they did a great job. Would have liked to see how they handled the wrap around counter. Mine was pretty easy, but looks like a factory job:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oven3.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	200442  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #37

Quote:

The oven “should” work as an electric home oven. Dial in your temp, heat it up, then bake your cookies. In fact manufactures of convection ovens suggest lowering temps by 25f and cook times. Not sure it works. It didn’t on our LG home oven nor the microwave convection we have now.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:26 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
The oven “should” work as an electric home oven. Dial in your temp, heat it up, then bake your cookies. In fact manufactures of convection ovens suggest lowering temps by 25f and cook times. Not sure it works. It didn’t on our LG home oven nor the microwave convection we have now.
I think that is a vast over simplification. As I understand it Convection ovens circulate the hot air under pressure to cook food faster than a conventional oven. That is why the time is reduced and temperature lowered. Time is why they were developed for professional kitchens.

The real issue is learning to use it. Folks who are full timing and the gadget lovers have a new toy. Those of us not in that big a hurry just want a "normal" oven that does what we want when we want it.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:25 AM   #39

Quote:
I think that is a vast over simplification. As I understand it Convection ovens circulate the hot air under pressure to cook food faster than a conventional oven. That is why the time is reduced and temperature lowered. Time is why they were developed for professional kitchens.

The real issue is learning to use it. Folks who are full timing and the gadget lovers have a new toy. Those of us not in that big a hurry just want a "normal" oven that does what we want when we want it.

Having used convection before, (in our home) it is nothing to be wary of. Cook as normal with minor adjustments as per manual. Be warned that you may find the reductions in temp or time are not as much as recommended. The oven has a fan which circulates the heat , with the idea it eliminates hot areas and provides an even heat. My own research has found many (mine included) convection microwaves don’t operate as the should because they don’t heat up as expected. Our couldn’t reach 350f after 1 hour of preheating! Our econobox countertop convection oven (not microwave combo) works great, heats up in 5-10 minutes as expected for a small oven.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #40

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Those of us not in that big a hurry just want a "normal" oven that does what we want when we want it.
AND the RESULTS are HOW we want...
Old 09-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #41

If you look back at this post you will see that someone is asking whether or not to switch to a convection oven or use the little LP ovens that are made and used in the campers. I'm talking about the lp oven that came with the camper. And I leave it alone cuz the better half said so all I did do was install a piece of carbon steel in the bottom above the burner to even out the Heat. Wife uses it every time we camp.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Anything is better than the heat and smell that propane causes in the MH.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote