RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Water softener usage
Yes I use one and itís worth it. 26 55.32%
No I do not use one and feel no need for one. 21 44.68%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #1

Poll on water softener usage.

Poll asking how many use a softener and if itís worth it. I use on the go double softener and while it 100% works it seems it only lasts for about 200-400 gallons depending how bad the water is. Unfortunately that doesnít last very long and I find myself regenerating it about every 10-15 days. Itís easy to do but takes an hour.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
I had a portable softener but found that it was too easy to find an excuse not to do a regen in a timely manner so we had an automatic softener plumbed into the coach.

It came from here: https://motorcoachwaterfiltration.com/

It was expensive but worth it IMO.

2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:10 AM   #3

We use the one for 10,000 gallons before regen. We had to regen this summer since until July 12th we only did weekend camping (2 years of weekend in this unit). Now full timing I will need to regen probably every 3-4 months of usage. Going from campground to campground it is nice to have the same type of water hardness, so for that reason we use a water softener along with 3 filters system.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
We use the one for 10,000 gallons before regen. We had to regen this summer since until July 12th we only did weekend camping (2 years of weekend in this unit). Now full timing I will need to regen probably every 3-4 months of usage. Going from campground to campground it is nice to have the same type of water hardness, so for that reason we use a water softener along with 3 filters system.
10,000 gallons or 10,000 grains? Whatís the brand and model?

Most softeners Iíve seen are rated either 10K or 16K grains. A 10K grain softener with water at 20 grain hardness will produce about 500 gallons of softened water before regen is required.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 10-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #5

We have a 16000k grain ABC softener. Depending on how bad the water is, I have recharged it weekly, or monthly, or let it go until we left. We were at a park that was on their own well and had their own system. Having double soft water was sudsy.....
https://602abcwater.com/collections/...-automatically
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Pretty sure your softener is no longer working. No such thing as a 10k gallon portable softener, itís grains not gallons. Here is what On The Go says about how long the softener will produce soft water. You need to know the hardness of the source.

ĒHow many gallons a softener will approximately make depends on the hardness of the water source and your water usage. To figure out the approximate capacity of your unit, take the grains of the unit (Standard 8,000/Double 16,000) and divide that by the gains per gallon (GPG) of the water sourceĒ

Standard Softener
8,000 / 11 GPG = 727 gallons
8,000 / 58 GPG = 137 gallons

Double Standard Softener
16,000 / 11 GPG = 1,454 gallons
16,000 / 58 GPG= 275 gallons
Old 10-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #7

How many of you guys know how much water you actually use, I installed a small electronic water meter on my inlet. we used 75 gallons in two weeks recently and most of that I think was for my portable ice maker. we drink bottled water
danny285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #8

When we wintered in AZ the water softener was mandatory. Usually made it 7-10 days before regen. I did find that the regen times listed were inadequate and I had better results when increasing them. Those resin beads donít last forever and I would suggest regular test strips to check for efficiency after a recharge. The only way to increase the times between regeneration is to get a larger unit.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:03 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Would like to see some recents posts on this topic as we have been camping in Nevada for a month and don’t know how much longer we can stand this dryness and constant itching. We know most hones in the Las Vegas area have home water softeners . Are there portable ones available? Do you just add salt when needed? Not sure what “regen” means.
Lenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
10,000 gallons or 10,000 grains? Whatís the brand and model?

Most softeners Iíve seen are rated either 10K or 16K grains. A 10K grain softener with water at 20 grain hardness will produce about 500 gallons of softened water before regen is required.
Sorry you guys are correct it is grains. Read it wrong. But it is still working okay, no issues. I check the hardness of the water here every 2 weeks to make sure it is still working okay.

It is a Flo-Pur 10000.

https://www.flowpur.com/RVPRO10000_Installation.pdf
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
How many of you guys know how much water you actually use, I installed a small electronic water meter on my inlet. we used 75 gallons in two weeks recently and most of that I think was for my portable ice maker. we drink bottled water
Good question. I donít know how much I use for sure, I guess the best way would be a flow meter. What I do now is rely on the tanks. 42 gal black and 58 gal grey. I donít leave my grey tank open after dumping so after 3 dumps of black and grey itís roughly 300 gallons +/- some obviously. At that point I start using test strips to determine how hard it is. But mostly I can just feel the water is hard and itís time to regenerate.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #12

I will be skipping a water softener and getting a whole coach reverse osmosis system.

Less maintenance and much higher quality water.
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenmar View Post
Would like to see some recents posts on this topic as we have been camping in Nevada for a month and donít know how much longer we can stand this dryness and constant itching. We know most hones in the Las Vegas area have home water softeners . Are there portable ones available? Do you just add salt when needed? Not sure what ďregenĒ means.
Yes portable ones are available. On The Go is one brand and Watts is another, although Iím sure others exist. Most places out west have severe hard water, Nevada and Arizona may be the worst.

The units use regular table salt, so itís cheap, like 56 cents for a box. The softener tanks come pre-filled with specially formulated resin beads. Water enters the top of the water-softener tank and percolates down through the resin beads. The resin has a negative charge, which attracts the positively charged minerals in the water (a process known as, ion exchange). The mineral deposits cling to the resin and the now-softened water exits the softener tank and flows throughout the water lines.

Sooner or later, the beads reach maximum capacity and canít attract any more mineral ions. At that point, the softener tank must be regenerated. Thatís where the salt comes in. Basically the salt cleans the beads. The process is straight forward, you just empty the tank by turning in upside down, then unscrew the cap on top of the tank and add salt. For my unit itís two boxes, so cost a little over a dollar. Then you just run water thru the tank very slowly for about 45 min to an hour and the beads are cleaned from the salt and the unit is ready for use.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:24 PM   #14

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteSquid View Post
I will be skipping a water softener and getting a whole coach reverse osmosis system.

Less maintenance and much higher quality water.
Also, IMO, an unacceptable amount of waste water for each gallon produced.

2016 Ford Edge Titanium

Tags
water