Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Absolutely, check in and dump. You won't be the first one to arrive full of crap
LOL! Have you been talking with my husband?

Good to hear we won't be breaking some RV campground code if we dump first!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #16

you should fill the tank completely...so all the walls can be submerged during the sit period....sloshing a few buckets full won't be as efficient on softening the debris

Old 10-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Poo Gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
Just because a gauge reads 1/4 (or anything else) this does not mean that's what's there. Gauges are notoriously inaccurate. just be sure that whatever you do where water is being put into the tank you leave the drain open to prevent an unsuspected overflow inside the coach (don't ask me how I know about this rule!).
Them there gauges are at best guess-ta-mets as stuff gets stuck on the walls and give false readings. I use Dawn liguid soap and several gallons of water and let it slosh around while driving then fill with same and repeat like washing your hair Dump only when you have a half to 3/4 full tank and I don't leave my stinky slinky out in the sun much either, I only use it clean it and put it away it lasts longer that way. JMHO your MMV. Remember this is supposed to be fun
Old 10-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #18

I dump at home and keep my hose there too. When I dump, I lay a strip of carpet from the MH to the sewer port. That way, I don't drag the hose over rocks and cement and put leaks in it.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:04 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
At one RV Park we go to the attendant dumps your tanks first thing so any evil products don,t go into their septic system. Off the subject, because this is an older, sat for awhile rig, be sure and check the dates on your tires, replace if beween 5 and 7 years old. This is critical.

Don, WIT 7041
Old 10-13-2011, 03:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy
At one RV Park we go to the attendant dumps your tanks first thing so any evil products don,t go into their septic system. Off the subject, because this is an older, sat for awhile rig, be sure and check the dates on your tires, replace if beween 5 and 7 years old. This is critical.

Don, WIT 7041
So where do they dump it to? If you had any evil chemicals they would get them in their system whether their guy dumps it or you dump it. I dont get it.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
Off the subject, because this is an older, sat for awhile rig, be sure and check the dates on your tires, replace if beween 5 and 7 years old. This is critical.

Don, WIT 7041
We did replace two tires and will replace the other two next spring. DH also regreased the wheel bearings and checked the brakes.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you plan on parking for a while try one of the waste digester products. NOT a tank "Deordoant' but one that uses biologicals, (RID-EX if you are going to be sitting a long time)

If you are moving use teh Geo method... Fill with a decent amount of water (Say 1/4 the remaining capacity, Plus 1/2 cup each Calgon water softener and Dawn (The blue kind, not the yellow kind) and optionally the bag of ice, DRIVE a while and dump when you get there.

You will likely have to do this many times

Valterra Master Blaster tank rinsing wand may help too or the Camco RV-Twister

Do not forget Chlorox wipes for the wand when done.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #23

Unfortunatly this weekend will be our one "big" trip before we have to park and winterize for the season. We should be able to fill and dump three times, with some driving/sloshing between dumps. That will have to do it for this year. Hopefully we can get it cleaned out and start next years season with an empty tank.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-nighter View Post
Unfortunatly this weekend will be our one "big" trip before we have to park and winterize for the season. We should be able to fill and dump three times, with some driving/sloshing between dumps. That will have to do it for this year. Hopefully we can get it cleaned out and start next years season with an empty tank.
Glad to hear you finally got your sh-- (oh you know) together !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #25
IC2

Our last bumper pull TT had a poo pyramid. The seller was supposed to clean it out before I arrived to take home - I knew it was full, just not solid full. He didn't nor was he even there when I picked it up!! And I forgot to look and had I remembered, he would have found a very stinky driveway I made a spray wand to break up the pile, doing it at home, emptying many, many 5 gallon buckets into the home toilet/city sewer system. Unfortunately, sloshing around got it up and into the Thetford plastic toilet innards - $125 later, a new toilet.

The sprayer, lots of water and patience is really all you need. Cal-gon or other wonder cleaner just finished the job. Ice cubes - our current 5er doesn't bounce/slosh that much, so I doubt it will work for me.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #26

I have had luck with PineSol, then fill the tank at least to half with water, drive around for a half hour or so, then dump.
Regardless of what you use DO NOT MIX CLEANING SOLUTIONS WITH A CLEAR UNDERSTANDING OF THE RESULTS. Mixing some cleaning/digesting/solvent/detergent products can release chlorine gas, which is toxic.
Be careful and happy trails
Old 10-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #27

I tried that 5 gal bucket deal once. You miss or slop one time, you won't ever do it again.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #28
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
I tried that 5 gal bucket deal once. You miss or slop one time, you won't ever do it again.
Luckily - never a problem - but then there is the first (next?) time