Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are and have been dog owners. I find that 80% of other dog owners are respectful and clean up after their pets. But the problem doesn't stop with failing poop patrol.

I ride my bike 3 times a week for cardio exercise over bike trails that our Town created. And they are marked bike trails. I was bitten in calf while riding one day by a 60lb doberman that was on leash - while the owner was telling me that she won't hurt anyone.

Last week, I was attacked by two off leash dogs. Fortunately, I saw them coming in time and dismounted, using my bike as a shield and rotating it to fend off each dog as they tried to close distance on me. All the while, the owner is calling to them without either dog even acknowledging her pleas. I just stood there silently, moving my bike back and forth until she finally got close enough to them to get leashes back on them. BTW, our Town has a leash ordnance of no more than 7 feet. She was more than 25 yards from her dogs when the attack started. The final straw was when she told me, unsolicited, that it was my fault because I stopped riding. Using an amount of restraint that I didn't know that I had, I simply looked at her and told her that I had already been bitten by a dog while riding and would never take that chance again. While I kept my voice low and worked hard not to show my frustration, she must have sensed it because she lowered her eyes and said "I'm sorry."

I've had discussions on forums with other bicycle riders. Every one of them has reported being bitten while riding. My point is that while leaving their dog's droppings for others to deal with (and I get to see that a lot on my rides, too), irresponsible dog owners do a lot of irresponsible things. Confronting them does not seem to register with them so I no longer try.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #16

When you confront someone make sure you know for sure where the poop came from.

My son lives in an apartment with his dog, a blue healer/dingo mix. He is faithful at cleaning up after her.

He came home one day and found a paper bag in front of his door with some tiny yippie dog poop in it with a note saying clean up after your dog. He returned it to the person who left it.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #17

Having ridden motorcycles for many years, I've also had more than a few encounters with loose dogs and a metal ended tire thumper works quite well in some situations.

I know, I know, it's not the dog but the owner. Uckempucky. It's not the owner that had their teeth in my ankle and caused a long-term limp.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
We are and have been dog owners. I find that 80% of other dog owners are respectful and clean up after their pets. But the problem doesn't stop with failing poop patrol.

I ride my bike 3 times a week for cardio exercise over bike trails that our Town created. And they are marked bike trails. I was bitten in calf while riding one day by a 60lb doberman that was on leash - while the owner was telling me that she won't hurt anyone.

Last week, I was attacked by two off leash dogs. Fortunately, I saw them coming in time and dismounted, using my bike as a shield and rotating it to fend off each dog as they tried to close distance on me. All the while, the owner is calling to them without either dog even acknowledging her pleas. I just stood there silently, moving my bike back and forth until she finally got close enough to them to get leashes back on them. BTW, our Town has a leash ordnance of no more than 7 feet. She was more than 25 yards from her dogs when the attack started. The final straw was when she told me, unsolicited, that it was my fault because I stopped riding. Using an amount of restraint that I didn't know that I had, I simply looked at her and told her that I had already been bitten by a dog while riding and would never take that chance again. While I kept my voice low and worked hard not to show my frustration, she must have sensed it because she lowered her eyes and said "I'm sorry."

I've had discussions on forums with other bicycle riders. Every one of them has reported being bitten while riding. My point is that while leaving their dog's droppings for others to deal with (and I get to see that a lot on my rides, too), irresponsible dog owners do a lot of irresponsible things. Confronting them does not seem to register with them so I no longer try.
Get a cup holder for your bike and keep a can of Liquid Wasp Spray in it. The spray will shoot approximately 25 ft. and deter any animal, big or small, from bothering you. It will also stop a bothersome adult, in their tracks, if necessary.
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we are in RV camp grounds I like to talk to the people in charge (owners, managers, rangers etc. One question I ask regularly is "what is the biggest problem you deal with? "Pets" is the response I get mostly---meaning, of course pet owners.

I do pick up offending "poop" and I place it somewhere in the custody of the owner if I know where that is; the hood of a car, a door step, the top of a trash can. I usually leave a note about dog courtesy and some extra bags. If I see unidentified poop I also place it in a bag ( I am seldom without them), sometimes I just leave the bag where it sits, better in a bag than have it stepped in.

I have tact. But when I see a dog allowed to deposit and move on I offer the owner a bag and point out the "problem". Many are clueless (or fein such), others make excuses but comply,some appreciate it (I just forgot my bags--thanks).

On one occassion I was quite alone with my dog on a trail and the offender became beligerent---very belligerent. As the "conversation" ensued he became more enraged but I stood my ground as to what a jerk he was being. Parenthetically this conversation was in view of a huge sign requesting dog owners to pick up. Finally he through up his hands and walked away---and I let go of the grip on my bear spray tucked in my pocket----a potential tactful reminder not to threaten me. I picked up after his dogs, it is the responsible thing to do and I cannot control his behavior. I left it on top a can place on the trail for such things, thinking he might see it on his return---not a lot of hope there.

As I walk with my dog I wonder just how many "tons" of the stuff I have scooped on his behalf in five years of walks---and I can proudly say it has been every ounce since he was eight weeks old. I wish more people could "enjoy"? the same thought
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I prefer not to be confrontational, but I will offer a bag from my dogs leash holder so tht they may pick up the poop.

Now here is a story that I appreciate, and it is a true story.

One day my boss of years past was walking down his condo steps when a car wheeled into a parking space opposite his condo. The driver emptied an ashtray out the window of the car, the proceeded to get out and go into their condo. My boss went back to his condo, got a broom and dust pan, went to where the ashtray was emptied, swept up the mess. As he stood up he noticed the drivers window was down. You guessed it, he dumped the mess into the front seat. I wish he had spied on the culprit to see the reaction.

I'm not condoning the dumping of other inconsiderate dog owners "mess" in their area, but it goes with a judge's ruling many years ago regarding a store owners defense of defamation of character.

He ruled, "Sometimes it is necessary for one to express themselves in such a manner as to get the point across."
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some of the places I park.. you call park security and the pooper pooch's pet humans get to either pay for the park maintenance staff to pick it up (and man do they charge an outlandish rate) pick up several times more than pooch pooped or do not come back for an extended period of time.

Or so I hear.. My two Kitties don't do that outdoors. They go in and use the sandbox like good kitties.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
From reading all of this thread, I guess most of us have no tact... I don't either. We sat and watched out our window on day. And yes, the man looked all around while his dog did his thing. As he walked down the road, my husband went out the door and asked him what he was going to do with his dogs mess. He did go get a bag and did dispose of it, but what did he do the rest of the weekend. I will be the first to say, I hate picking up dog pooh, but it is my responsibility as a pet owner and good neighbor. But as everything else in life there are always some that are not good neighbors.
As for people riding bikes or just walking by. I pull in the leash and have total control of our dog until they past.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #23

With 4 doggies (3 Danes and a mix) we generate a lot of poop. Big poop. We always have a big stash of plastic grocery bags to clean up the messes. I have been caught with an inadequate supply of bags when a dog went more than once on a longer walk. I went back and picked it up--I realize the "I'll be back' excuse may not be truthful, but it just may be too. Just a personal observation and experience.

Pets are under the owner's care and responsibility. Pets often pay the price for the owner's irresponsible innattention to proper etiquette. It is too bad--there are lots of wonderful, caring people that will take great care of them.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
One of my "favoriate" subjects. If any of you have been to Vegas and stayed at the Oasis RV Park they ask at checkin if you have pets and provide you the rules that warn you if you don't pick up you are subject to a fine and if someone turns you in they get a reward. Haven't been there for a few years, but wonder if those rules are still in effect?? I would like to see those type of rules everywhere.
BTW, Don't you just love the owners who allow their dogs to whiz on your vehicle wheels and tires. After telling one lady I didn't appreciate it she allowed her dog to do it again the next day. I came out of the MH and told her I'm going to the office to report you and I might even swing by your place and pee on your tires. I did report her and because she had been reported by others, they were told to leave the park and received no refund for the rest of the month.
I have containers w/bags attached on the leashes, so I always have bags handy for my "kids" and others if they "forgot" theirs.

One more pet peeve, I hate those extended reel type leashes and think they should be banned. I'm sick and tired of trying to get myself and my "kids" untangled from them. If I wasn't such a pet lover I would carry a pair of dykes to cut them away from my legs and leashes.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Easy

if your timid...use some tact, if your an old grumpy retired sailor, just say WOW that s shovel ready job...do you need a baggie

i see folks often "forget a bag or a scoop"

for us our peanut, poops at our site, before the walk, then we are not likely to have a clean up on aisle 6.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I HATE pucking up dog poop. At home (we have an acre for them to run onk we just let it lie until nature takes its course.

But out in public, and especially at campgrounds, I pick up the poop.

On the subject of wheel peeing, my pup likes to pee on my rear dual. He leaves a puddle! Will it hurt those clear coated alcoa wheels?
Old 10-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #27

Whenever I see that someone is looking the other way when their dog is taking a poop. I will usually say "Excuse me but you may not have noticed the little present your dog left that someone might step in". That usually gets the job done.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #28

Jim... urine, whether dog or human contains Uric acid. I can't think of how it would NOT be bad for anything that can corrode. I would wash it off as soon as possible