Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Poop police

When you see a dog owner walking their dog and they look the other way when doing their business do you say anything?

Twice I have been sitting under the awning and had dogs on a leash stop and take a dump right in front of our campsite. Both times the owns started to just walk away. Unfortunately I don't have much tact. One actualy said they would be back to pick it up. We take our dog with us so I have poop bags in reach to offer up. From the expression of the last person I don't think they have ever picked up after their dog.

So do you sit silent, or point out the infraction. It is easy in front of your campsite but what about when you witness someone walking their dog and pretending not to notice when their dog squats?

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm like you. I have no tact.
I have been known to chase them down and suggest they go back and pick up the present thier dog left for them.
I have also been known to pick it up with a baggie and giving it to the park host. showing them where the doggy owner lives.
I don't keep to many friends.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not have a dog have children instead. I would be first to tell someone to pick it up and yes I would not be very nice about it. I had this a couple of camp outs back. Guy next door kept letting his dog run loose clearly against CG rules. Even tried to say it wasn't his dog we saw peeing right next to our camp fire. I have small kids 5 and 2 if one of them was to get bitten I would be very angry. I warned him we were going to talk to the owner about this he even denied it was his dog to the owner. I made a point to tell the kids in a not so quite voice if the dog came back let me know and I would mace the dog and then call CG owner to come see it. Amazingly the dog was not seen again all weekend. This dog was the size of a german sheperd so not a small toy dog.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquest102 View Post
I made a point to tell the kids in a not so quite voice if the dog came back let me know and I would mace the dog and then call CG owner to come see it.
What you should do is mace the owner and have him fixed so he cannot reproduce and have more like him. The dog is only doing what the owner lets him/her do.
Rv'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It is amazing that there are people out there who don't pick up after their pets. In my younger days, I spent a lot of time in people's faces and have made the decision to not be as confrontational in my retirement... so I usually pick up after their pets... but I NEVER pass a pile without picking it up. We were full time with three dogs and didn't want to have people think it came from one of ours.

What I'd LIKE to do is grab the owner and rub his nose in it but my blood pressure won't allow it anymore.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #6

As always some spoil it for all. You are doing the right thing in letting the oblivious dog owner know their obligation, to clean up after their pet. I don't like the idea of my dogs much less myself walking through another's poop. But like everything in life there is always someone who thinks they don't need heed the rules that almost every town has in place when it comes to walking your pet. We bought our RV because of our dogs, and we certainly don't want to be turned away because others ruin it for us. Keep telling them what should be expected, please pick up after your pet! Thanks!
Doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
I'm like you. I have no tact.
I have been known to chase them down and suggest they go back and pick up the present their dog left for them.
I have also been known to pick it up with a baggie and giving it to the park host. showing them where the doggy owner lives.
I don't keep too many friends.
Larry:
We think alike!!

Headed back to Silver Cove on Oct 21-23 for their yearly "customer appreciation" celebration. Sat. night is free rent and a semi pot luck!! You probably got an email from them about it.

I take one of our cats for walks on a leash, (Larry, you've "met" him) so far I haven't had to clean up after him, but I do carry bags with me anyway, carryover from when we had dogs!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv'n View Post
What you should do is mace the owner and have him fixed so he cannot reproduce and have more like him. The dog is only doing what the owner lets him/her do.
Good point. Dogs do what dogs do... No pun intended... It is the owners that are inconsiderate. It frustrates me because I don't want it to be assumed that we are in the same group when we pull in with our dog.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
And people can get over zealous in the poop police duties. We always pick up after our dog and as I walked past a neighboring campsite returning to our campsite a grumpy old lady (GOL) barked out " Did you pick up after your dog?" Her husband even said to her "you shouldn't talk like that you don't know". It was fortunate for the GOL that I had one of my 5 year old grand daughters with me. I left it at the husbands comment to her. I too lack some tact when confronted by this type of person. Had the Grand Daughter not been there and staying with us I would have gone and dug through the trash of the last 4-5 days and got out all the bags I had collected and delivered them personally to the GOL. Then kept on delivering them while we where there. It was a remote campground so she didn't have a lot of backup. I don't mind making a scene but I didn't think it would make for a very good impression/memory of Grandpa for a 5 year old. I was surprised I held my composure. Karma will be around.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 AM   #10

I, too, have little tact. And the older I get the less tolerance I have for inconsiderate and ignorant people.
However, as combative as I am, I don't look for confrontation and will make certain the offending owner starts to walk away before I comment. A dog starting to pee on my site where it is possible to walk will also trigger a word or two.

Like many things, owners are responsible for their pets and must be held accountable.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #11
IC2

Ahhh yes, pooping dogs.
The first time I yelled at someone was many years ago - my son's 4th grade teacher. She received a good citizen lesson that day.
Not too long ago the next door neighbors had a visiting relative with a lab - and used the cul-de-sac island for his toilet several times. I picked up 5-6 big poops on a shovel and deposited it on their front step.
At our favorite CG where we did a summer seasonal a couple years ago, the weekender next door decided his monster mongrel should use the area under our living room slide. I wonder how he liked stepping in it?? He has been banned from there.

We just got a pup after many years without - amazing where I find empty bags now
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #12

Had a problem with the neighbors in a CG last year! The solution was easy

Placed a small sign in front of my MH.

IF YOU CHOOSE TO HAVE YOUR DOG POOP ON MY SITE
I CHOOSE TO RUB YOUR NOSE IN YOUR DOGS POOP

The neighbors abruptly moved and the problem went with them
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #13

I have been know to pick it up and deposit it by the owners rv door.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #14

I have a number of dogs I travel with. I order Mutt Mitts by the case. Never leave the motor home with a dog without one or two in my pocket.

I would ask any dog owner who walks away after the dog poops if they need a bag....I would even get up and walk the bag to the person.

At dog shows I see plenty of lazy people who do not pick up after their dogs. These people should be banned from dog shows and pet owners who do not pick up after their dogs should be fined but they too should not have dogs if they do not accept the responsibility.