RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2019, 08:50 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Portable 12 volt diesel heater

A few weeks ago I posted this in Gear and Product Discussions and only heard from one person I am thinking of buying 12 v diesel heater for my 5th wheel has any one used this kind of heater and what do they think of them also what I am reading it is cheaper to run than propane when below freezing temp. Any info would help Thanks

benderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #2

Search boating and sailing sites. Diesel furnaces and space heaters have been used on boats for years.
One of the most popular makers is Webasto.
https://www.webasto-comfort.com/en-us/

Old 11-17-2019, 01:12 PM   #3

They're also mentioned on the Sportsmobile forum, I found this link in one of their threads:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZKV1HBS..._6lgYDbS5SFG1H

Here's the thread: Where should I install my Furnace? - Sportsmobile Forum
Old 11-17-2019, 09:08 PM   #4

My boat has a Dickenson Newporter diesel heater. It's awesome. I run it at the lowest possible setting and it heats the 37 foot boat without any problem. It will run for hours on a gallon of diesel. I've only ever been in cool, not cold, climates so I don't have a good feel for diesel usage over time. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:02 PM   #5

https://www.amazon.com/Diesel-Thermo...SIN=B07JB7QZWZ

or:

https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-Dies...SIN=B07XXN645J

After posting those; I would run my ducted LP furnace in our 5ers in cold weather to prevent plumbing from freezing, and it added a smidge of heat to the enclosed tank area.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:38 PM   #6

I have a Wallas diesel heater in my boat. Its a fan forced unit, with 3 outlets on my boat, that uses very little power and fuel.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-11-17-23-34-34.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	267209Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-11-17-23-35-18.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	267210
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:44 AM   #7

If fuel oil{diesel}, was cheaper to operate, every house in North America would be heated with it. It is no cheaper in the long run than propane. As stated, your furnace helps keep the basement from freezing. If you are staying in one spot, get a bigger propane tank hooked up that the truck can deliver to your site.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #8

If you are planning to boondock I would not consider a diesel heater.
I have very extensive experience with Webasto heaters.
They work great but requires a lot of battery power.
I have used them in mobile cranes in the arctic at -40.
As long as the genset was running they are great!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #9

Some of these diesel heaters do not vent combustion air outside. They consume oxygen and emit water vapor and carbon dioxide when operating correctly. So, they have the same issues as stand alone propane space heaters. Hopefully the heaters have oxygen sensors that will shut then down if cabin oxygen drops. User still needs to manage high moisture output. A working carbon monoxide detector is mandatory.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
If fuel oil{diesel}, was cheaper to operate, every house in North America would be heated with it. It is no cheaper in the long run than propane. As stated, your furnace helps keep the basement from freezing. If you are staying in one spot, get a bigger propane tank hooked up that the truck can deliver to your site.
contacted a couple propane place since it is only until Dec 5 and relocating until Feb they will not credit unused propane in tank A 30lbs tank is 30.00 plus tax to fill in my area. the electric is very high also. Was trying to find alternative method someone mentioned portable 12 volt diesel heater where cheap to run Just looking for info on them Thanks

benderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, diesel, heat, heater