Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #1

Red face Portable AC

Our unit only gas one AC unit. It is 30 amp. Thinking ahead, is it possible to use a portable AC in BR, if needed.
Giffordst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
No reason you can't use a portable. A 10,000 BTU unit will cool between 300 and 350 Sq, Ft. and require about the same current as your overhead unit. A 15 Amp 120VAC service will be needed. That is around half of your 30 AMP service but not constantly, only when the compressor is starting up. Of course you can't control when that happens so a dedicated 15 AMP service is best. The problems I see are storage, and it must be vented to the outside somehow. Also you will need around two sq. ft. of floor space in the bedroom with at least 40 inches of height. The noise isn't bad, around 55db but not constant. The level changes loudness and pitch when the compressor runs. Some people have trouble sleeping with them running, I don't.

Good Luck
Dick
Old 03-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #3

Portable AC

Your BR will only require a 5000 BTU unit. Done that in a S&B BR less than 200 SF. Easy peasy!
You could hang beef of you put it on full blast.
Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:07 AM   #4

There are small portable AC units on the market. Sort of look like R2D2 and would work fine in a small area. They do, however, need to be vented to the outside via a 4" dryer type duct hose. Seems to me the run around $400-$500 dollars.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #5

"Our unit only gas one AC unit. It is 30 amp. Thinking ahead, is it possible to use a portable AC in BR, if needed."

What size RV and how old is the roof air? You just might need to upgrade to a newer more powerful unit.

I used one for my cuddy cabin on my boat in S Fla. It was a 5K and on wheels, had the 4" hose. The thing worked perfect, so I say "yes" it will help your situation.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #6

I did this in my previous trailer with one A/C and 30 amp service. I purchased one of the floor units from Lowe's.

For ventilation we took the screen from a window and used it as a template and cut an opening for the vent hose to lock in. I used the command strip Velcro to put it on and take it off depending on if we needed the a.c or not.

For power, I used a 50ft extension cord (rated to handle the power - very heavy) that I ran to the power pedestal. There was direct access to the basement from the bedroom and I drilled a hole from the basement to the exterior and put a cover over it like you see in other trailers to run cords.

It worked well for the bedroom but certainly didn't help with the rest of the trailer just because of how separated it is. In fact, we didn't run it during the day because since the thermostat was right outside if the bedroom door, it would trick it into thinking it was cooler than it really was and the rest of the RV would heat up as the main AC shut off.
04266832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
No reason you can't use a portable. A 10,000 BTU unit will cool between 300 and 350 Sq, Ft. and require about the same current as your overhead unit. A 15 Amp 120VAC service will be needed. That is around half of your 30 AMP service but not constantly, only when the compressor is starting up. Of course you can't control when that happens so a dedicated 15 AMP service is best. The problems I see are storage, and it must be vented to the outside somehow. Also you will need around two sq. ft. of floor space in the bedroom with at least 40 inches of height. The noise isn't bad, around 55db but not constant. The level changes loudness and pitch when the compressor runs. Some people have trouble sleeping with them running, I don't.

Good Luck
Dick
Thanks for info. Hopefully I won't need one
Old 03-13-2016, 10:07 PM   #8

Thanks for info. Hopefully, I want need one
Old 03-13-2016, 10:20 PM   #9

Thank, new to posting and just learning lingo. What's an s&B?
Old 03-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giffordst View Post
Thank, new to posting and just learning lingo. What's an s&B?
Sticks and bricks = a real house
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote