Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another vote for Weber. We have a nice Weber Genesis at home and use the Weber Baby Q on the road. If you don't need a huge cooking area and are generally cooking for two, you can't beat the Baby Q.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #16

During the yard sale at the 2009 national rally I purchased a wire stand for a table-top LP grill. I won a http://grillguard.com/ there too. The grill guard blocks the wind from blowing away the heat and blowing out the flame. When I cannot use a picnic table, I normally use the truck tailgate for overnight stops. For longer stays the wire grill stand is just the ticket, and the grill guard works as advertised, unless there are sudden wind gusts strong enough to blow the stand over. Really shouldn't be grilling in that kind of wind anyway.
For an inexpensive yet quite acceptable table-top LP grill, walmart sells one for $39 W/ dsi.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well, just for another view point, we use the sunbeam el chepo from walmart. Like 29.95/19.95 and uses the llittle bottles, cooks great and when it gets dirty I just throw it away and get a new one.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:03 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The best grill I have ever bought or seen for use in and around RV's has been the Coleman Road Trip. I has changed some from the prototype we saw many years ago at Speed Weeks infield at Daytona. Won't burn chicken but will sear a good steak too. Folds down nicely, easy to clean and it has lasted 8 or 9 years with little deterioration if any!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:38 AM   #19

Another vote for the Q100. Baby Q. Have had a dozen portable grills in the past 20 years. Gas and Charcoal. Bought my first Baby Q last year at a garage sale for $25! won't use anything else....

Check Craigslist if you want a used deal....they are pricey new.

Now if you want to go charcoal and cook with more flavor, buy the Weber Smokey Joe. They are the best.....

Bill
Bpsailr49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:41 AM   #20

We've had the Walmart, Olympic, And Webber grills in the past. We have a Holland grill @ home and when Holland started building portable tabletop grills we bought one of them. Two couples have trashed their old grills and bought new Holland grills after eating food cooked on our Holland grill. We don't anticipate ever replacing this grill since it is all stainless steel. It has given us many years of excellent cooking. When we cook on tabletops @ most campgrounds we place a piece of plywood underneath the grill to shield the tabletop. The wood gets a little warm but not hot. There are many grills that are out there, hopefully you can find one of them to meet your needs.
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:50 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Three words . . .

- Bay
- Bee
- Que

SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:10 AM   #22

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We have the Thermos Grill-2-Go with the detachable legs. Works very well for us. I like the fact the gas valves are separate from the regulator. I was able to get the extra hose and connections to attach to the quick-connect on the rig, using the tank regulator in place of the one on the grill. With the quick connects, I can still use a 1 lb cylinder with the grill's regulator if I'm not near the rig.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
I got the Aussie Traveler when Lowes had an end of season sale and got it for $59. Just cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner for 20 on it at the beach this past Saturday. Thats a lot of pancakes, chicken, kilbassie, burgers, dogs and potatoes.

http://www.aussiegrills.com/images/p...del-202200.pdf

This one was caught in the fire when my Vectra burned and survived.
Wow, Neil, that looks like the real deal, especially if you need to cook for a large group. After looking at your pix, I need to go to Weber's site and see if they have pix of their Q that everyone is talking about.

For what is nearly always just the two of us when on the road, my requirement is small, light, and convenient. Mine is small and light, and the stand makes it convenient; squatting on my haunches to bbq is no longer an option.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:43 AM   #24

DH is so excited. I ordered the Weber Q220 and had picture of it in his B-day card. At first he said why did you get me a spaceship. LOL
Thank you to everyone for your advice. Your a great group!!
Cyndee
viewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:31 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up Another Vote for Coleman Roadtrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
I have the Coleman Roadtrip Classic, it can be table top version or has its own folding table. It has both a griddle or a grill with 2 burners. I have the hose to run it off the main tanks, or if need be use the portable 5 lb for remote location. Easy to clean with electric start, no matches.
I am amazed how even the heat is across the grill is-- better than my $800 super home unit. Really like the griddles, the table top height, it folds down into a small foot print for the rollout, plate coating on main grills makes for quick cleanup. Can't go wrong with this one as well. $159 on sale at Camping World.
LaserMark4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:26 PM   #26

We've had the Colman RoadTrip for 5-6 years, works great except:

1. Has a water pan under the burners to keep heat from the table top or stand. Ours rusted out and had to be replaced;

2. Came with cast aluminum grills which sagged from the heat. Replaced with cast iron grills which stand the heat better;

3. We are on our third pair of burners. We full-time close to the salt water;

4. Initially, we couldn't find a soft cover for it. Found a Weber cover, printed, at Walmart. Fits like they were made for each other!
jimfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:02 PM   #27
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I also use the Coleman Roadtrip. Even Academy Sports store carries them in this area. It is a little heave and takes up some room, but it is collapsible and easy to use.

In regards to flame and searing. You can now by cedar plank that can be put on the grill top after soaking for 1 hour. No need to turn the food. Soak, pre-heat grill to about 350 degrees, put plank on grill for 3 minutes then turn it over and put food to be cooked on top. Works great. They are re-usable - somewhat.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We also have the Weber Baby Q.
It's all cast aluminum except for the plastic knob on the temperature control. The grill is cast iron and seasons like a cast iron skillet.
If it ever becomes necessary the burner assembly is easily replaceable and is also easy to clean.
They aren't cheap but I sure see a lot of them in use.

Ours cooks very evenly across the entire grill.