Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #15

Have a 5500 Onan Gold directly under the bed. We carry a Honda 2000 and 2.5 gallons of gas, as long as the AC isn't needed, we use the Honda. It will run every thing but the ACs and will run about 8 hours on a tank. If you set it up to run from a marine tank, you could get a whole weekend from one tank. As good as Onans are, they have never made a generator as quite as a Honda 2000!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
The weight of the 3000 Honda makes it difficult to move around. I suggest 2- 2000's with the Parallel kit would be best if more amps are needed. I would be curious how quiet your Onan would be if you extended the exhaust above the MH's roof sending the sound up and out!
When we needed coffee in the morning and had no electricity available I found that I could put coffee grounds in the filter of our pot and in a separate pan heat the right amount of water on the gas stove top, then pouring the water slowly on the grounds in the filter, the coffee was exactly the same as if I had plugged the pot in.
Of course if you only have an elec. stove that won't work.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I guess my ears must be bad, cause my '04 Onan QD 7500 is quiet enough at loads up to about 25% (1850 watts). With just the coffee maker on, even when perking, it's barely above idle speed. I'm comparing to a Honda Eu2000i, which I hear often enough to feel comfortable in making the comparison.

Maybe the real point is that none of them are particularly quiet at a 1000+ watts and a distance of several feet. When I want quiet, I use the inverter. That's more than adequate for the coffee pot, computer and tv.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post

Enclosing the QD (or any generator) makes a huge difference in reducing the DB level from outside the box and each housing has different acoustic reduction capabilities. The housing will not only attenuate the noise, it will redirect it. Taking the raw DB rating without factoring in the enclosure reduction component for comparison is meaningless. The actual environment MUST be factored and then actual measurements taken at appropriate locations to validate the results.
One for you then...
Looking to quiet my 5.5 and maybe assist the OP... ...how about surrounding the galvanized enclosure with rock wool on the exterior?
Old 06-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Razzman, your situation is the same as ours was. Our generator is also the Onan 7000. Provides plenty of power, but noise level and fuel consumption is what compelled us to get our Yamaha EF2000is. We tailgate a lot during football season starting on Friday night heading home Sunday morning. An outside 32" flat screen with other college games and music videos is playing the entire time we're there. The Onan was over kill. I did the math on the hours that we ran the Onan and though I don't remember the results there was a big difference in the amount of gas we used each tailgating weekend. We run a coffee pot every Saturday morning for Irish coffee's and regular coffee's and the Yamaha provides enough power. Microwave has not overloaded it either.

We, actually I chose the Yamaha over the Honda for a few reasons. I'll share so you'll have more info to help you make your decision.

- Yamaha has a fuel gauge. Nice when you're checking fuel in the dark.
- Yamaha has a separate fuel shut off, so you can shut off fuel run and run the carb dry before you store it.
- Yamaha has a fuel shut off on the fill cap. Eliminates fumes when it's stored in the basement. Honda may have this also.
- Yamaha's EPA certification period is 500 hours. Honda's is 250. Chinese knock off's are typically 125. Possibly better engine build tolerences that contribute to that.
- Yamaha fresh air intake is at the top of the unit. Honda draws the fresh air from the bottom. I always put a rubber mat under the generator so it's not sitting directly on the dirt, but with the air intake at the top I think I'd be ok if I didn't. With a Honda I wouldn't dare sit it directly in the dirt.

Purchased ours from wisesales.com Found their prices to be the best for both the Honda, Yamaha and other brands as well.

Hope it's helpful info.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I say the Honda 2000 also (or a set if you need to run the a/c) I have one and I use it a lot vs. the onboard Onan 7000. So long as your charging system for your house batteries is set on low amperage and you don't run the a/c or microwave the 2000 is really quiet.

We recently went for a week of dry camping and for no good reason I took both my 2000 (only have one so no parallel kit) and my Honda 7500 inverter. The Onan started shutting down with a code 47 (ignition issue) so I just hooked up the big Honda during the day for A/C and the little Honda in the evenings. Sure was glad I threw that big Honda in the motorcycle trailer or it would have been a miserable week. Probably going to buy a 2000 companion and parallel kit just to have since the big Honda is too heavy to carry all the time.

If you have a surge protector unit you may have to flip a switch to over-ride it because it will see an open ground since generator neutrals and grounds aren't connected.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post

One for you then...
Looking to quiet my 5.5 and maybe assist the OP... ...how about surrounding the galvanized enclosure with rock wool on the exterior?
Much better to add the acoustic absorption material on the inside so sound waves get absorbed thus attenuated in the material and do not bounce about and amplify through other metal structures. A pad under the gen should also prevent sounds from bouncing off the ground/concrete etc, however one must be also ensure airflow is not compromized to the point the air cooling does not do its job. Normally convection air flow is used to cool these engines, with some finns perhaps on flywheels, but forced air would enable more noise abating encasement applications. Cooling is important of course.

I addition to placing absorption and reflection materials around the noise source, an additional muffler would also help, albeit this would have to be engineered so it would not significantly impact the engine performance and if the exhaust can be directed upward above the coach, we know these devices help also.

Having good rubber generator mounts also help prevent vibrations from amplifying gen noise inside and out.

Every installation would have its own unique application for noise reduction methods and most often it is trial and measure results as each step is taken, DB level monitoring by an instrument is important to have, thus taking away the subjective component as our ears might be.

I suggest trying various noise abatement techniques and measure the results. Some of the apps for smart phones have not bad acoustic monitoring and display capabilities. I have "Noise Meter" on my Android phone and it validates my voice to be about 50db from a distance of 3' which is about consistent with my stand alone db acoustic meter. Need to check ambient noise to see the baseline before trying to focus on incremental elements.

I hope my comments above, based on my experiences and training, are of value to folks. All offered with the best intentions.

Noise can be reduced.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
Razzman, your situation is the same as ours was. Our generator is also the Onan 7000. Provides plenty of power, but noise level and fuel consumption is what compelled us to get our Yamaha EF2000is. We tailgate a lot during football season starting on Friday night heading home Sunday morning. An outside 32" flat screen with other college games and music videos is playing the entire time we're there. The Onan was over kill. I did the math on the hours that we ran the Onan and though I don't remember the results there was a big difference in the amount of gas we used each tailgating weekend. We run a coffee pot every Saturday morning for Irish coffee's and regular coffee's and the Yamaha provides enough power. Microwave has not overloaded it either.

We, actually I chose the Yamaha over the Honda for a few reasons. I'll share so you'll have more info to help you make your decision.

- Yamaha has a fuel gauge. Nice when you're checking fuel in the dark.
- Yamaha has a separate fuel shut off, so you can shut off fuel run and run the carb dry before you store it.
- Yamaha has a fuel shut off on the fill cap. Eliminates fumes when it's stored in the basement. Honda may have this also.
- Yamaha's EPA certification period is 500 hours. Honda's is 250. Chinese knock off's are typically 125. Possibly better engine build tolerences that contribute to that.
- Yamaha fresh air intake is at the top of the unit. Honda draws the fresh air from the bottom. I always put a rubber mat under the generator so it's not sitting directly on the dirt, but with the air intake at the top I think I'd be ok if I didn't. With a Honda I wouldn't dare sit it directly in the dirt.

Purchased ours from wisesales.com Found their prices to be the best for both the Honda, Yamaha and other brands as well.

Hope it's helpful info.
Wolfpack, Exactly what i'm saying and the reason I too bought the Yamaha EF2000iS yesterday. The EF2400iSH had more power but would be a bear to muscle around at 68lbs.

The Honda's did not impress me as not only was it $300 more but as stated has less features. The fuel shutoff, fuel gauge are great to have, no stagnant fuel in the carb and you can monitor fuel. The fuel cap vent shutoff really is great as well, you can store it in the basement without fuel vapors present! Overall a very happy purchase.

Thanks all for the assist.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For just the coffe pot or microwave we generally just use the inverter. However, this time of year we are generally also running the ACs so the 7.5 Onan is running. It's sounds awefully quiet to me, but then I'm mostly deaf. But, it doesn't bother wife and she can hear me make a mistake from 6 miles away. For the kind of travel and camping we do, I don't have space to carry or the inclination to fool with additional generators. We have a 7.5 Honda for house use during hurricane season, it'll wake the dead.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote