Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #1

Portable Generator source of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning...

William E. Miller and Ruth L. Miller, 76, went to sleep in their recreational vehicle on Wednesday night, with a gas generator several feet away from the rear of the vehicle, police said.

The generator's exhaust was pointed toward the vehicle and fumes entered, causing the couple to have exposure to carbon monoxide.

Read more Man dies of carbon monoxide poisoning while camping at festival » Top News » The Clinton Herald, Clinton, Iowa

Don't let this happen to you...
Check the expiry date on your RV Carbon Monoxide Detectors.

Costar Marine/RV Carbon Monoxide Detector
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV1974 View Post
William E. Miller and Ruth L. Miller, 76, went to sleep in their recreational vehicle on Wednesday night, with a gas generator several feet away from the rear of the vehicle, police said.

The generator's exhaust was pointed toward the vehicle and fumes entered, causing the couple to have exposure to carbon monoxide.

Read more Man dies of carbon monoxide poisoning while camping at festival » Top News » The Clinton Herald, Clinton, Iowa

Don't let this happen to you...
Check the expiry date on your RV Carbon Monoxide Detectors.

It's much more common on boats, especially in the warm and arid west as the link below confirms. Modern day generators still do not have any emission controls like our cars do, and consequently put out dangerously high levels of CO (about3% or so) that is 30,000 parts per million, when 5000 ppm is immediately dangerous to health. In most cases there is enough breeze blowing or distance between the exhaust and those around us, but sometime's not.

co archives | Double Angel Foundation
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=garbonz;1682992]It's much more common on boats, especially in the warm and arid west as the link below confirms. Modern day generators still do not have any emission controls like our cars do, and consequently put out dangerously high levels of CO (about3% or so) that is 30,000 parts per million, when 5000 ppm is immediately dangerous to health. In most cases there is enough breeze blowing or distance between the exhaust and those around us, but sometime's not.

I truly believe that I, along with my DW and my son, are alive today, thanks to a CO alarm, in our boat. One night, in Biscayne Park, located in Biscayne Bay, Miami area, we had parked our boat at the shoreline, tied up to a small, short, pier. The wind was strong, as it was kinda stormy that night (otherwise, we would have been "on the hook" all night). It was hot in the cabin, so the AC, was operating at max., being powered by our generator. Sometime, during the wee hours of the morning, we were awakened by an alarm. I immediately got up and noticed that the night was very still, not one bit of a breeze. It didn't take me but a second, to realize what was wrong. I got everyone up, untied the boat from the dock and moved out, into the bay, where there was a gentle breeze blowing. I dropped anchor and we were able to settle down and go back to sleep. This was a great lesson for me. Now, we have a 39' Fleetwood RV, with a ginny and a CO alarm. We have not, yet, had to run the ginny, for a good nights sleep, but just in case, I purchased a venturi exhaust tube, to vent the fumes, above the RV, instead of letting the fumes surround the RV, at ground level.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #4

That's right garbonz, you can never be too careful.

You can use a Portable Carbon Monoxide Meter if you have any doubts when boarding someone else's craft...

Tags
generator