Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #85

I made an enclosure out of PVC, burlap, and NAPA sound deadening material. The burlap provides ventilation an also absorbs sound. I don't know if it makes a difference from a distance, but I can't tell it close up.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #86

So what am I hearing here? I'm gonna shell out a couple hundred thousand $$$ and NOT be able to run the gen in my new toy? I have to go buy a couple of portable units, get out and set them up? (which negates the pull-in convenience of the MH!) and if I want the AC on while I watch a movie at 3am the MH gen is so noisy I will get complaints???

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:55 AM   #87

If by "pull-in", if you mean a camp ground, then you will either have 30 or 50 amp service and can run just about anything you want at 3AM. Most of us use our little gennies to recharge the batteries in the morning and later again in the late afternoon.

Where and when I dry camp, I don't need the AC, but if I did, everybody else would too and they would also be running their generators.

I use a 300 watt inverter to power my 19" LED TV and laptop at 3AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #88

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
So what am I hearing here? I'm gonna shell out a couple hundred thousand $$$ and NOT be able to run the gen in my new toy? I have to go buy a couple of portable units, get out and set them up? (which negates the pull-in convenience of the MH!) and if I want the AC on while I watch a movie at 3am the MH gen is so noisy I will get complaints???
Of course you can run your on board Kathyn. The big advantage for us with the little Yamaha is when we're tailgating. Everyone is gathered around in a tight group & the little gen will run all day with crock pots & electronics. I figured with with on board, I was burning $30+ a day with the 7k & ac wasnt even needed. with the little gen I'll use about $6 worth of gas & it's so much quieter. For camping it's just quieter and ac isn't needed at 3:00 am when your camping at 6000' feet in the mountains. I also like that if everything goes dead that needs battery I've got a way to make electricity without already having electriciy.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #89

New Horizons Owners Club
We have had and used both a Honda, and now a Yamaha 6500 watt. Both have worked perfectly. We now have 1200 hours on the Y, and it uses about 5 gallons per day. From a performance stand point they are great. We replaced the Honda because it couldn't run everything in our rig. We can run the water heater both A/Cs now.

When we still had a house we had a mongrel genny from Home Depot. We lived in Hurricane country, and when we had to use this beast it sounded like we had a Harley going flat out in the back yard. It also went through 17 gallons of gas a day.
chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:13 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
If by "pull-in", if you mean a camp ground, then you will either have 30 or 50 amp service and can run just about anything you want at 3AM. Most of us use our little gennies to recharge the batteries in the morning and later again in the late afternoon.

Where and when I dry camp, I don't need the AC, but if I did, everybody else would too and they would also be running their generators.

I use a 300 watt inverter to power my 19" LED TV and laptop at 3AM.
LOL! Whew! Got so caught up in the generator discussion I forgot about that nice campground 50amp service!

Quote:
...For camping it's just quieter and ac isn't needed at 3:00 am when your camping at 6000' feet in the mountains. I also like that if everything goes dead that needs battery I've got a way to make electricity without already having electriciy.
that is, after all, the original purpose of generators!

Quote:
... We lived in Hurricane country, and when we had to use this beast it sounded like we had a Harley going flat out in the back yard...
I live in Orlando, FL ... we have a generator like that NOW, and when the storms hit, you can hear the whole neighborhood power up!

Thx all - I do learn so much from these forums.

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #91

After losing power for 11 days due to an ice storm a few years ago, I've always had a generator of some kind. I finally upgraded to the Honda EU2000s when we sold our TT with a built-in genset that I rarely used. Now I'm 'prepped' for the next disaster, plus I take them along when we're going to the track, etc. where we'll be surrounded by noisy generators. I just need to figure out how to run a 220V well pump with a pair of 110V generators and I'll be set.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble View Post
Af I just need to figure out how to run a 220V well pump with a pair of 110V generators and I'll be set.
NO can do...sorry. We have the same problem since I sold my LOUD 6.6KW, 240 volt, gas hog. I'll just have to do with bottle water for a few days.

Ken
Old 06-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #93

Katheryn,

One other point regarding watching a movie at 3 am using your generator for power.If you are in a campground and in a non-serviced site you will have rules restricting the hours you may run your generator. Generally from 8 am until 9 pm although some are more restrictive than that. That is where the inverter comes into the picture. It produces 120v power from your battery bank. Some of the nicest campgrounds are State Parks and National Parks and many are non-serviced sites.

We are in South Beach National Parks Campground on the Washington coast now with a beautiful ocean view. Non-serviced sites. $5.00 per night with our Golden Age Pass (-:

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #94

If by "pull-in", if you mean a camp ground, then you will either have 30 or 50 amp service and can run just about anything you want at 3AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
LOL! Whew! Got so caught up in the generator discussion I forgot about that nice campground 50amp service!
Made me

Quote:
I live in Orlando, FL ... we have a generator like that NOW, and when the storms hit, you can hear the whole neighborhood power up!
That too.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
NO can do...sorry. We have the same problem since I sold my LOUD 6.6KW, 240 volt, gas hog. I'll just have to do with bottle water for a few days.

Ken
If you have the KWs a stepup transformer will give you the voltage.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #96

I bought a Honda because it was between the Honda or Yamaha and I noticed in our tailgate lot that every generator was the Honda 2000 (almost every one).
Old 09-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #97

The Yammy is lighter, quieter, and doesn't suck in dirt from the bottom like the Honda. Guys I camp with in the sand have to sit their Hondas on a piece of plywood.