Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2012, 05:40 AM   #15

I have the Yamaha EF2000iS. I just happen to find it on line for $830 back in 1/10. It was drop shipped from the factory in WA. According to the specs, it is ~2db quieter and 2 lbs lighter than the Honda. With the right cord, it has the ability to be duplexed for a 4000wt rating. I can run my microwave with it.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnMorgan View Post
Have any pictures or could you describe what you built?
Be very careful trying to enclose the generator in a "sound deadening" box. You cannot block or reduce the air flow for the generator and cause cooling an realibility problems.

Proper sound engineering is needed to reduce the sound of any generator. Sound can travel backwards through the air inlet unless it is properly baffled. Then you also ahve to remove the exhaust from the "box".

And why would you need to further quieten a EU1000i? They are pretty darn quiet to begine with.

Best pricing I found on the Honda generators was at Wise Equipment on their internet site.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #17

I neglected to mention that the Hondas can be duplexed for 4 KW of power. There's a cable you use to connect them together. If you decide on a Honda try Mayberrys in NJ first. They had the best price I could find several years ago. It was just under $1000 with free delivery.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I have a generac genny in my coach that's pretty loud. Has anyone replaced the installed genny with a pair of the quiet hondas or yamahas and made them a permanent install with a fuel line from the coach's tank?
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #19

The propane Generac on my 5er got pretty loud when the exhaust pipe broke off near the manifold. Propped it up with some wood and made it though the weekend.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I have a generac genny in my coach that's pretty loud.
X2 on the GEN"RACKET"

Installed a genrac in my first RV (self made conversion)

I won't make that mistake again...
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I have a generac genny in my coach that's pretty loud. Has anyone replaced the installed genny with a pair of the quiet hondas or yamahas and made them a permanent install with a fuel line from the coach's tank?

I'm interested in an answer from someone on this also.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem in mounting the EU200i hondas in a permanante install is the venting of the air inlet, air outlet and exhaust.

What we do on our 5er is to store the Honda pair in the are that notmally houses the Onan generator on the trailer. I lift the generators out and set them on the ground and hook up a plug to the trailer and we are good to go. I also keep the 6 gallon extended run tank in that compartment.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 05-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
was wanting to run it when running down the road to cool interior...i suppose that means we are left with noisy onans.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
was wanting to run it when running down the road to cool interior...i suppose that means we are left with noisy onans.
The Honda EU2000s are manual start which could be somewhat inconvenient while underway anyhow. On the other hand, Honda makes a 3000 watt generator that is not only electric start but also has the option of a wireless remote starter. Its the Honda EU3000iS Generator and is just as quiet as their EU2000.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want to run an EU3000i while on the road in your motorhome, best bet is to make a mount in the back bumper and run a power cable back there.

Ken
Old 05-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #26

Marty,

Onan does make several quiet generators. We have a QD 7500 in our motorhome and it is pretty darn quiet after I did some additional sound deadening work. It is quiet enough that when DW is through using it for the convection oven when we are boondocking she usually forgets to turn it off because she can't hear it running (-:

To the poster that was concerned my Honda EU 1000i might overheat in its box. No problem I designed it so it wouldn't. It is now over 1200 hours and still going strong. I have a picture but Photobucket is screwed up and I can't get logged in to their site.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
I'm the OP on this and I appreciate everyone's reply's. Good stuff for sure. Here's a friendly tip for others with the noisey Onans like me. Put some kind of sound deadening material directly beneath it when you're set up. It won't do anything to quiet the sound inside of the coach, but the sound outside is deadened a fair amount. I discovered this on our last season of tailgating. We're set up in a parking lot at the University and the sound bounces off of the pavement. I threw a rubber backed carpet mat under in and it made a big improvement. The kind of heavy mat the uniform companies rent. They work great. I later bunched up the mat to create ripples and it worked even better.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #28

I have a whole stack of the carpet tiles like they use on raised floors in office buildings. I park in sand, but it does help a little when place below my 5500 Onan.

I've heard the Honda gets it's fresh air from the bottom and it is a good idea to sit it on plywood while on dirt. My Yammy gets it's air from the ends, but I still sit it on plywood.

I also machined a 3" extension, used the stock clamp to mounted it and put a Briggs and Stratton screw-on lawn mower muffler on the end. Lowered the dbs a little.