Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2005, 10:44 AM   #1

The heating systems in my RV will keep it warm, but they also can get expensive for propane and diesel (Hydro Hot).

How many are useing portable space heaters to augment their RV heater to help keep costs down.

Alarmguy
04 See Ya Gold (40' MH)
00 Voyager (toad)
Alarmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2005, 10:44 AM   #2

The heating systems in my RV will keep it warm, but they also can get expensive for propane and diesel (Hydro Hot).

How many are useing portable space heaters to augment their RV heater to help keep costs down.

Alarmguy
04 See Ya Gold (40' MH)
00 Voyager (toad)
Old 11-18-2005, 11:14 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
We use 2 each electric ceramic heaters as our main source of heat (one in the living area and one in the bedroom/bath area.) I set the propane furnace to come on only to augment the ceramic heaters if the temperature drops too low. It saves a lot of propane, and since we're not full-timing on a metered site, the electricity to run the ceramic heaters is free to us.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 11:25 AM   #4

I am currently work-camping at a theme park in North Carolina, with about thirty other work campers, It got to 30 degrees this morning and I imagine that there about half or more that are using portable heaters. We have propane delivered to the park right to our rigs so it's not like we have a hardship to get our tanks filled. It is just that we can keep the chill off with a portable heater and don't have to listen to the furnace run when we can use a small quiet electric heater. I bought one at Walmart for $75 that has a thermostat and I set it to about 63-65 degrees at night and 65-68 during the day, and it works quite well. Most of us have something similar. Most of us run a heater at least part of the time. Hope this answers you query.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #5

I have never felt quite safe with a high heat output. I found the answer for me was a vornado which doesn't put out a hot force but a more mild heat and circulates well. They can be found at many stores, here's their website. Art

http://www.vornado.com/
Old 11-18-2005, 05:35 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies, the wife picked up a Holmes tower heater at W-Mart today, does a great job on the low setting, 35 outside right now but nice and warm inside.

Alarmguy (in Nashville)
Old 11-19-2005, 03:25 AM   #7

I have a sealed oil filled raditator that has done a great job for the past 2 years to keep the trailer warm. With three setting for the electric draw low(500w), med(750w), and high(1200w) to not tax the campground power conditions. Wouldn't want to pull the voltage down below 110v. It also has a thermostat on it to achieve desired temperature. Down side is, when you want to pack up make sure you unplug it at least 1/2hr before putting it away otherwise it's a little warm to touch and store against things.
96PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:31 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Auxiliary heating systems are great but the one thing you need to consider with a coach like yours is basement heat. If you use ceramic heaters or whatever to assist with the interior heating, that's fine. Just be sure that the furnace kicks in often enough so that your water systems will not freeze because the ceramic "upstairs" heaters won't do anything for your water service bay or holding tanks.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 12:06 PM   #9

I am glad I found this topic. This is exactly what we were talking about. We have a coleman popup. Our a/c has a heat strip (I think that is what it is called.) It will take a nip off the air, but won't work in too cold of weather.

Can I use a space heater like you are talking about in my popup? And, can I use the one on the a/c at the same time or only one or the other? I don't want to trip a circuit or blow a fuse or whatever. I especially don't want to cause a fire.

Thanks

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 12:58 PM   #10

I used an electric heater in my Coleman years ago. Never had A/C in it but A/C and Heater sounds like a bit much for (probably) a 20 amp circuit breaker. One time we almost froze at Manassas VA about Thanksgiving time. Had to use two catalytic heaters.

Coleman used to make a neat propane heater but don't anymore. (At least that particular model) Art
Old 11-19-2005, 01:36 PM   #11

We have a 30 amp. Does that make a difference? Oh, and the heat strip runs at low, not high.

I guess if I had to choose one, it would be the heater not the heat strip.

Old 11-19-2005, 02:29 PM   #12

30 amp would make a big difference. In my Coleman days I don't remember any A/C units on Popups. On my MH (30 amp) we can run A/C on high cool and the frig, TV and lights. The microwave runs a bit slower but will work.

I've no experience with heat strips but have heard they're not very efficient for anything but slight heating. You should be in great shape. Art
Old 11-20-2005, 02:41 PM   #13

thanks. I'll go get one today.

Oh, and what happens if we blow a fuse or whatever happens when you pull too much juice?

Old 11-20-2005, 03:15 PM   #14

We too use portable electric heaters; but, only when we are in the rig and awake. If we leave, even for a short time or when we retire we turn them off and go bsck to propane. This seems to work well for keeping the basements heated as typically it is at night when they really need the heat, Ken, '04 DSDP....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote