Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #1

Portable RV Generator

Anyone have recommendations for reliable/quiet/light weight portable generators?

I will be pulling a 24' Jayco TT and want to have a generator to bring along. Is there a formula or good way of determining the best wattage for a particular application?

Thank you
itsrturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
We have a diesel 7500 Onan, but we also bring along a Honda 2000 when we know our entire stay will be boondocking. It's everything you described, runs the microwave and is great for just keeping the batteries up in the morning without having to turn on the big one.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My friends love the Honda EU1000i Generator.
Honda EU1000i Generator - CARB Compliant - Honda EU1000IAC - Honda Generators - Camping World
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Most RVers prefer the Honda EU2000I, because it has the features you want. It is limited to 2000 watts, which basically eliminates running an AC unit. What is nice about this unit is, you can parallel 2 of them to get 4000 watts when needed, but only run one when not needed. Some on the forum like the comparable Yamaha units. I have no personal experience with either.

To determine what size generator you need, you need to figure out what 120v items you will be using and the wattage each one uses. Then you need to figure out which ones you will NEED to use at the same time. If these items are always less than 2000, then the aforementioned will work fine. If it's 2500 watts, then the Honda or Yamaha 3000 watt unit is what you want, ect.

Most 120v items are rated in amps. To figure watts, it's amps x volts = watts. ie: a 10 amp hair dryer @ 120v would be 1200 watts.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Honda 2000 to run pretty much everything, except air conditioning. Add another Honda 2000 via parallel kit if and when air conditioner is needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The Honda EU2000i will be your best investment in a portable generator.

Super quiet and fuel efficient.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #7

I've had a Generac 2000i and now have a Honda 2000. If buying again I would buy the Honda, it's a lot quiter and easier to crank but it will not run a AC unit. If you are going to run a AC you need a 2000 plus a 2000 companion or a 3500. The 3500 has a larger fuel tank so that's a plus but it is heavy as in two people to load and unload. My 2000 will run for 7-8 hours on a gallon tank full. We have a onan 5500 in our MH but if we aren't running the AC, I use the Honda and set it away from the camper so we don't have the noise and vibration of the on board genny.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Honda EU 2000i and EU2000i Companion. If we just need a little power, we can run one generator. If we need the A/C unit, we run them in parallel.

Each generator weighs a bit over 50#, so you can manage to load and unload from a locker or a truck bed.

The Hondas are not cheap, but they are reliable, quiet, fuel efficient and parts and service can be found all over the USA.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator