Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Portable water tank for gray water

I was looking at this Arizona RV Parts Center- 45 Gallon Folding Fresh Water Tank for a possible solution for gray water. A camper in a site next to us last year had something similar he used along with his macerator. He simply put the bladder type tank in the back seat of his toad, pumped his tank (both gray and black I think) into it then went to the dump station and used gravity to empty. While we really want something for the gray so shower and dish water can be dumped without a great big blue thunder or breaking down and going to the dump station, it would be nice for the black if it worked out without any spillage. We already have the macerator.

Rinsed out at the dump station and folded back up it should store nicely and there is a cargo space in the back of our toad so it will not be on the seat like his. Thoughts?

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #2

Would have to be almost "puncture proof", or there could be quite a mess. Otherwise sounds like a good idea.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
Would have to be almost "puncture proof", or there could be quite a mess. Otherwise sounds like a good idea.
I agree. I was hoping someone had one similar. Camping World sells one too for about $40 more. Worth it if the quality is better.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #4

If your purpose is to use it for gray and black water, then get something engineered and designed for gray and black water. You are asking for trouble with one of those folding ones that are meant for clean water. Whats the worst that could happen if it bursts inside your toad? Oh yes, you will ruin your toad with sewage or in the best case scenario spend a heck of a lot more money having it cleaned and sanitized than you saved by getting the flexible bladder type tank. My vote is to get a gray/black water tote. I know, much more expensive but do you really want to gamble $100 on whether that bladder will hold all that? And how long until it bursts? Will you get two months, six? Spend the extra $100, loose a bit more storage space, get the sturdy tote that is engineered for your purpose and avoid what could potentially be a very costly mistake. Just my two cents.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I was looking at this Arizona RV Parts Center- 45 Gallon Folding Fresh Water Tank for a possible solution for gray water. A camper in a site next to us last year had something similar he used along with his macerator. He simply put the bladder type tank in the back seat of his toad, pumped his tank (both gray and black I think) into it then went to the dump station and used gravity to empty. While we really want something for the gray so shower and dish water can be dumped without a great big blue thunder or breaking down and going to the dump station, it would be nice for the black if it worked out without any spillage. We already have the macerator.

Rinsed out at the dump station and folded back up it should store nicely and there is a cargo space in the back of our toad so it will not be on the seat like his. Thoughts?
Am I missing something here? Are you Boondocking? otherwise why can't you dump @ the camp site? And can't you dump Gray water anywhere?
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Am I missing something here? Are you Boondocking? otherwise why can't you dump @ the camp site? And can't you dump Gray water anywhere?
We frequently stay at state parks with water & electric at the site but no sewer connection. Sure, there is a dump station but that means unhooking and breaking everything down. The ones we have been at frown upon dumping the gray on the ground. We both feel that having an RV means not using a public bath so the gray fills quickly. We can get over a week out of the black so it is not as much of a problem.

We also don't have or want to make the kind of room the blue thunder plastic totes take up. The folding one sounded like a good idea that is compact. I have yet to find one that is not custom made. Until then I guess we go with driving to the dump station and being frugal with water.

Leak wise unless there was a catastrophic failure the gray water would be unpleasant but livable if the "bag" could be quickly dumped. I now wish I asked the guy that had one where he got it from. If anyone has info or a link to where I can get a portable waste tank like that it would be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowreef View Post
If your purpose is to use it for gray and black water, then get something engineered and designed for gray and black water. You are asking for trouble with one of those folding ones that are meant for clean water. Whats the worst that could happen if it bursts inside your toad? Oh yes, you will ruin your toad with sewage or in the best case scenario spend a heck of a lot more money having it cleaned and sanitized than you saved by getting the flexible bladder type tank. My vote is to get a gray/black water tote. I know, much more expensive but do you really want to gamble $100 on whether that bladder will hold all that? And how long until it bursts? Will you get two months, six? Spend the extra $100, loose a bit more storage space, get the sturdy tote that is engineered for your purpose and avoid what could potentially be a very costly mistake. Just my two cents.
The money isn't a problem. If we didn't mind the amount of room the blue boys took up, I would have one. Haven't seen a price on a bladder tank meant for it.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
I know I would like to have 45 gallons of black or gray water in my towed! You do realize that this much water is going to weigh nearly 400 pounds.
I really don't care what you do, but think this through with all the 'what ifs' before you get into a mess.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Let me see if I understand this correctly. You're going to put 375 pounds of greywater in a GEO Tracker along with yourself?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Let me see if I understand this correctly. You're going to put 375 pounds of greywater in a GEO Tracker along with yourself?
Why not? That is about the same as 2 or 3 passengers.

Actually I have located a company that makes bladder tanks for gray water and in a more manageable size, 25 gallons so only about 200lbs full. Made from Elvaloy (I had to Google it) it looks much more sturdy than the one I linked. At $160 it is a little more but worth the peace of mind. It is also better fitted in size for the small car.

If we decide to get one I will keep everyone posted.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we started camping in 1968, It was OK to dump gray water on the ground. We always wiped the plates and cookware clean before washing. When we left a campsite, there was only a wet circle to show we had been there. Some other campers never made an attempt at cleaning up. There was cut up food and garbage in the gray water. I told my wife that one day the rules would be changed and no more grey water dumping. Because of the actions of a few all the campers had to pay. The same things have happened at the dump stations at many rest areas. Because some have put bottles and trash in and around the dump station, many of the states are shutting down dump stations.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #11

Why not get a regular tote that can be stored in your toad, and have a small hitch put on the toad, to pull the tote. Then you don't have to break camp or fire up the coach.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLJKansas View Post
Why not get a regular tote that can be stored in your toad, and have a small hitch put on the toad, to pull the tote. Then you don't have to break camp or fire up the coach.
We have a hitch on the toad to launch a small boat. The problem is finding room to carry the blue thunder. While on the road the toad is full of lawn chairs, rugs, hoses, a couple of plants from the stick house and an ice maker. I hoped a collapsible tank would fold up and go in there too.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #13

I have a 5 gallon plastic jug sold on chemical supply sites. I attach a short piece of garden hose to a "flush" out type cap and drain gray water only. That way we can stay on site at a state park for the week.

Tags
tank, water