Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2019, 06:21 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Simply put, you can afford the camping unit but you want to scrimp on the correct tool? I don't get! 😗
ezdavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2019, 06:35 PM   #58

Ford Super Duty Owner
If I have a tool that worked why buy another one???
Old 11-28-2019, 09:19 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Do you see any reason these pliers could not be used to crimp the cinch-type PEX fittings?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-VISE-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
But, those will work perfect for clamping other hoses, particularly air lines.

https://www.amazon.com/Proster-Singl...SIN=B07KPGW9X8
Old 11-29-2019, 08:47 AM   #60

Sir, you are correct. The other responders to your question might not be familiar with “Ortiker” or step down clinch type clamps with are used for pex in addition to the ring clamps, one or the other. The clinch pliers is what’s used to set them. I’ve been using them for years even in aviation.
Your link for the tool didn’t work but after reading one poster calling them wire cutters, I had to just smile...
6flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:34 AM   #61

Possible PEX tool?

Okay, it appears I'll have to go out to the online tool store and order a Pex tool. Do I have to ask for a metric or SAE model? Knowing that many RV parts come from outside of our borders, it would be beneficial to obtain a compatible tool to allow proper installation of these items. As it stands now, I've placed my Black Friday online wish-list orders to include ambidexterous #! and #2 screwdrivers, right-handed fiberglass SAE hammer, and a metric crescent wrench to complete this year's shopping list. Currently waiting for that call from Customer Service to verify my SAE VS Metric orders.
Happy Holidays to all!!
2014FR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:50 AM   #62
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014FR3 View Post
Okay, it appears I'll have to go out to the online tool store and order a Pex tool. Do I have to ask for a metric or SAE model? Knowing that many RV parts come from outside of our borders, it would be beneficial to obtain a compatible tool to allow proper installation of these items. As it stands now, I've placed my Black Friday online wish-list orders to include ambidexterous #! and #2 screwdrivers, right-handed fiberglass SAE hammer, and a metric crescent wrench to complete this year's shopping list. Currently waiting for that call from Customer Service to verify my SAE VS Metric orders.
Happy Holidays to all!!
I think you've got it covered!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #63

those things have a slight curve to the cutting ends which would prevent a good grip on the inside part of the fitting and would leave a gap. but worse is that it lacks a good way to apply the squeezing force necessary to make a proper fit.
This would be an emergency tool only and I would remove the fitting and reinstall with the proper tool at my first opportunity.
To all you newbies, if you can afford an RV, you can afford the proper tools to maintain it.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:57 AM   #64

Quote:
Do you see any reason these pliers could not be used to crimp the cinch-type PEX fittings?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-VISE-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Your kidding right, that’s a nail puller, you have two different clamps for pex lines 1 is a compression ring, the second common is a cinch stainless steel fitting, almost all I have seen used are the stainless steel type, to get the correct pressure you need a calibrated or one you can calibrate to fit, then you just squeeze it and they close tight and no leaks, I wouldn’t trust a compression fitting anyway. You can by one that can be calibrated and is a compression type with a 3rd handle on it to release it kinda like how vise grip release works, I got one at Ace hardware for 21.00 bucks on sale, but when you use that there is no leak possible when calibrated correctly. Also why your there pick up some brass 90 degree elbows and some brass connectors with the bands, and start to change over to brass instead of that cheap plastic ones they use. They will not break if they freeze and your good to go, just some advise to you.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #65

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
My coach was plumbed with "real" PEX and all the fittings were the screw-to-tighten plastic ones; no PEX clamps were used. Whenever I make a change or do a plumbing repair I replace the plastic fittings with SharkBite ones. Sure they can be expensive, but there really aren't so many to replace at any one time. And at least I can count on them to last and not to leak.
And with the proper sized plastic clip the Sharkbites can be disassembled and reassembled if necessary.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #66
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Your kidding right, that’s a nail puller, you have two different clamps for pex lines 1 is a compression ring, the second common is a cinch stainless steel fitting, almost all I have seen used are the stainless steel type, to get the correct pressure you need a calibrated or one you can calibrate to fit, then you just squeeze it and they close tight and no leaks, I wouldn’t trust a compression fitting anyway. You can by one that can be calibrated and is a compression type with a 3rd handle on it to release it kinda like how vise grip release works, I got one at Ace hardware for 21.00 bucks on sale, but when you use that there is no leak possible when calibrated correctly. Also why your there pick up some brass 90 degree elbows and some brass connectors with the bands, and start to change over to brass instead of that cheap plastic ones they use. They will not break if they freeze and your good to go, just some advise to you.
I wasn't suggesting that folks use this instead of a ratchet-type crimper. Just wondered if these pliers might work on the cinch clamps in an emergency.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:10 PM   #67

Quote:
I wasn't suggesting that folks use this instead of a ratchet-type crimper. Just wondered if these pliers might work on the cinch clamps in an emergency.

I understand, but I would say no myself, spend 10 more bucks and get the right tool. Never get it tight enough so you wouldn’t leak, I can’t see how that would help in a emergency, best thing in an emergency is to shut off the water source, then go to a hardware store and rent one, they all offer rentals that I know of, even my small town here , Ace will rent you one for 5 bucks
Old 12-03-2019, 09:50 AM   #68
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I understand, but I would say no myself, spend 10 more bucks and get the right tool. Never get it tight enough so you wouldn’t leak, I can’t see how that would help in a emergency, best thing in an emergency is to shut off the water source, then go to a hardware store and rent one, they all offer rentals that I know of, even my small town here , Ace will rent you one for 5 bucks
That's good info! Thanks!
Old 12-04-2019, 05:36 AM   #69

Quote:
That's good info! Thanks!

I hope you didn’t take my comment “are you kidding” as a insult, cause I surely didn’t mean to insult you it just my dumb way of saying no it wouldn’t work. I guess I could have worded it better, have a great day.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:05 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
Are you guys confusing real PEX tubing with the soft RV water supply hose? I don’t see how a worm drive clamp would ever be able to clamp onto a fitting without leaking. Now the RV hose, yeah for sure. I think people see red and blue RV hose and assume it’s PEX.
Two different kinds of clamps.
ijon is offline   Reply With Quote