Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #1

Possibly Diet Coke Exploding in Camper?

I need help!!!!

I left about 10 cans of diet coke in the closet of our 2012 Keystone Outback Travel Trailer two weeks ago. It has been very cold about 19 degrees at night for about 4 or 5 days in a row in Western NC and we are up in the mountains. What are the chances that these cans have exploded? I am leaving in the morning to check on the status.

I am hoping that it is insulated enough to prevent it from exploding.

Would anything on the floor and below would had been ruined by the explosion if it happened?

Please help this a brand new camper that we purchased on December 30, 2011.

Thank you for any assistance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I left a can of Sprite in the refrigerator over the winter in Ohio last year. It blew up, left quite a mess in the bottom of the refer for me. Get back to it before the frozen coke melts.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The chances of your soda exploding is low. However I would go out and fetch them just to be sure, Low = not zero.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's probably a toss up. Continous 19 degrees will for sure freeze them up. If the temp in the day got into the 40's, or had bright sun, you could be ok. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh boy! Welcome deenad to the forum. Are you asking for words of encouragement or help cleaning up the mess? I can help with the first but am too far away to assist with the second. Like stated above, probably won't explode. But also, like about, if they do try to get back before they thaw out. Good Luck!!!!
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #6

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Oh boy! Welcome deenad to the forum. Are you asking for words of encouragement or help cleaning up the mess? I can help with the first but am too far away to assist with the second. Like stated above, probably won't explode. But also, like about, if they do try to get back before they thaw out. Good Luck!!!!
You must had been reading my mind....I need words of encouragement!!
Our first travel trailer that we bought as our second home and it is up in on our property in Western NC. We leave for the first time to go home in GA and when we see that it will be real cold and more real cold. We set high on a mountain under trees not much sun and all I can think aoubt is my camper filled with diet coke and yes we now remember we left 4 bottles of red wine on the floor by front door. Hubby said it wouldn't freeze. I am having seconds thoughts. We are leaving at 4 AM to drive to make sure since this is our first camper/second home to us for a very long time. It has got to be perfect and as pretty as I had bought it!

Thanks everyone....I will come back tomorrow night and let you know how we came out.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deenad View Post
You must had been reading my mind....I need words of encouragement!!
Our first travel trailer that we bought as our second home and it is up in on our property in Western NC. We leave for the first time to go home in GA and when we see that it will be real cold and more real cold. We set high on a mountain under trees not much sun and all I can think aoubt is my camper filled with diet coke and yes we now remember we left 4 bottles of red wine on the floor by front door. Hubby said it wouldn't freeze. I am having seconds thoughts. We are leaving at 4 AM to drive to make sure since this is our first camper/second home to us for a very long time. It has got to be perfect and as pretty as I had bought it!

Thanks everyone....I will come back tomorrow night and let you know how we came out.
First, welcome to the forum! Hopefully all is well with your new camper. Even if some of the cokes exploded, you can probably clean it up easily...maybe a carpet shampooer or whatever. Good luck.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've had cans and leak in my garage and car with the temps slightly below freezing and only for overnight.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #9

We leave stuff like this in our shower...makes the clean up easier ; )
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #10

Heartland RV Club
Diet soda has no sugar in it ,it will freeze before regular soda. as you can see in the picture ,the bottoms and ends of the cans are made to expand out with pressure. If you have one that has popped out ,be careful with it. You may get wet.

I have worked in the beverage world for 32 years.

Wayne
www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #11

Yep, you will be cleaning up soda in your closet, I do believe you should take some water, bucket, and some rags. But don't worry, when it warms up the bugs, ants and critters will have something to snack on.
The good news is, that brand new looking closet will have that lived in look. The first stains in a new trailer are the worst.

Kevin
Old 01-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Actually you shouldn't have bug/ants issue if it is a diet beverage. Nothing there for bugs except water & brown coloring. I've had a couple of Diet Coke leakers & a 2 liter that fell out of fridge & broke. The spills actually cleaned up fairly well from carpet...unlike diet Dr Pepper which stained my area rug & grout between tile. Hopefully they were all still frozen when you arrived. Best of luck.

Marilyn
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #13

Definitely easier to clean up diet stuff. Doesn't leave the sticky mess that sugared drinks leave. And, unlike us humans, bugs and mice are smart enough not to eat artifical sweetners.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:47 AM   #14

I don't know about soda, but have left beer(i like it cold)in the freezer too long(overnight) and they didn't explode. You couldn't stand them up any more.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote