Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2017, 08:00 AM   #1

Possibly moving to Houston

Hi,

It's on the cards we maybe moving to Houston with work.

Not sure of the duration yet so don't know if we will purchase or a rent a house.

We will be working full time so will be in the area most of the year.

I have looked online and see various state parks within 100 miles and the Texas hill country/big bend area within 250 miles. Trips would be from 2 to 7 nights.

What could I expect to pay for both outdoor and covered storage for a 35ft coach in the area?

In Michigan I normally drive my class A at 60mph but from what I gather if I drive that speed around Houston I will get blown off the road.

Would I better off with a small class C on a sprinter chassis? I think a B would to small for us. Do your winnebago View 24g recently and liked it.

To be honest I am not happy about the weather but it would be a big promotion for my wife.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 01:28 PM   #2

We're about 80 miles east of Houston but know a bit about it and the surrounding area.

I think if it were me, i'd talk to a realtor first to see what all is out there. If you're thinking buying, then be sure to ask about properties that are ok to park your rig on. Can't help with offsite parking since we park ours at home.

State parks, Brazos Bend is one of our favorites. Don't believe sewer is available but water and 50 amp electric is. The George Observatory is there if you like astronomy. Huntsville and Livingston have full hookups and are nice parks as well. All are popular so made ahead reservations are needed most of the time.

Although it is a bit slower than normal traffic, 60mph is usually fine in the right lane. As with all big cities, traffic does get hectic at times, especially when people are going to and leaving from work. I normally run about 60 but tend to run about 65 (going with the flow) when i'm in Houston. I guess because i learned to drive around Los Angeles, driving Houston seems to be fairly easy. By the way, i'm pretty sure that 65 is the max speed limit (not that very many people abide by it) in the Houston area.

A smaller rig is usually easier to maneuver in traffic but you'll find that it doesn't make that much difference on the highways. There's plenty of signage along along the way so watch ahead and get over early to make your exits. Some do go out from the left.

Weather,, you're just in time for summer. Hot and humid is the word for the day..
Old 05-23-2017, 01:33 PM   #3

Thanks Mudfrog,

We will definitely speak to a realtor.

At what temp is it too hot to be outside?
Old 05-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Thanks Mudfrog,

We will definitely speak to a realtor.

At what temp is it too hot to be outside?
I don't like being out when the temp is above 80°.

I think the weatherman gives a forecast for bad ozone days but i don't know if anyone pays that much attention to them. Just depends on the summer,, there may be a few 100° days around mid/late July. Averages are in the 90s during summer. Sounds hot but people just keep on a trucking.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #5

I am from Ireland where 75f is a heatwave :-)

It's does get to 90f here in Michigan at times, but not so much.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
I am from Ireland where 75f is a heatwave :-)

It's does get to 90f here in Michigan at times, but not so much.
Houston's sorta like Ireland, except 50 degrees warmer. It's humid and they get a lot of rain compared to the rest of Texas. Traffic is generally a mess with lots of road construction. There's lots to do there though.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Houston's sorta like Ireland, except 50 degrees warmer. It's humid and they get a lot of rain compared to the rest of Texas. Traffic is generally a mess with lots of road construction. There's lots to do there though.
I had to laugh at that one.

:-)
Old 05-23-2017, 02:54 PM   #8

Moving to HOUSTON ???

Most state parks have a 15 day maximum stay. Some will/can extend that, but that may or may not happen.

There are several Corps of Engineer Campgrounds in the area. They too have a limit, but it depends.

See the app Allstays and this will show you the name and locations where they are located. The shorter the drive in Houston the MUCH MUCH better it is!!

I would hate to live in Houston without a Chauffeur.

But of course I am OLD!
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi,

In Michigan I normally drive my class A at 60mph but from what I gather if I drive that speed around Houston I will get blown off the road.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
I can assure you there are plenty of Class A's driving around the area doing 60'ish in the right lane
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:30 PM   #10

Thanks both, I am not relishing living in a major metro. I lived in two European capitals and had enough of the traffic.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:37 PM   #11

Be sure and get a tolltag quickly after you get a residence...save you some bucks and billing hassles. Works all over TX and in OK also.
Check out Cagle Recreation Area north of Conroe--its a very nice FS campground with full hookups.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:41 PM   #12

In your other thread you mentioned your wife's potential work being in the Freeport area, which I don't really consider as being part of Houston, but more of a satellite community, just a little too far out to be considered a suburb being about 60 miles out from the center of downtown (and perhaps 2+ hours driving time at rush hour), with a substantial amount of undeveloped land in between. Freeport is also on the coast so temperatures can often be mitigated by the gulf breeze, so the summers on the coast are not as hot, and the winters are not as cold.

I can't say much more about the area as I have not spent time around there in decades, the closest I have been recently would be Pearland or Alvin about 30 miles closer in to downtown.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:56 PM   #13

The state parks in Texas are generally very good. If you intend to utilize them a lot, you can get a yearly pass to enter. (You will still have to pay for a spot separately). The weather in July - Sept is very hot and very, very humid near Houston, not so bad in the Hill Country. Go to the Texas Parks and Wildlife website for detailed info on state parks.
Skipjack47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:16 AM   #14

Hi Issac,

W heave bend advised by work colleagues to move to a Houston suburb and commute each day, to be honest I would not be happy with that as my current commute is 15 minutes.

Hi Skipjack,

The hill country is definitely on my radar. Thats a good idea about getting a pass.