Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Pot Holes and roof mounted Air conditioners

I saw it too late and hit a pot hole on I-10 on my way south for the winter.The speaker (mounted above the windshield) broke every hole of the mounting screws and fell the length of its attached wires and began swinging directly in front of my vision. The DW jumped up and pulled it to one side thinking I would probably hit something else. The force of the jolt actually broke the plastic around each screw allowing the tightly torgued screws to hold 4 newly made plastic washers tightly to the coach.
We have since noticed that the center roof mounted Air Conditioner has a rather strong rattle. I suspect the mount was loosened there as well.
We have a 2012 Winnebago Journey 40U. Anyone know the procedure to re tighten that air conditioner?

Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just four bolts. Snug them all up evenly.

Mark & Carole RVM54
What a long strange trip it's been
2002 Fourwinds 5000 26Q 496 ci. Chevy towing 2004 Jeep Wrangler,2016 Starcraft AR One 18', 2016 F-150
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:57 AM   #3

Wow, if the jolt was that bad.....maybe you should have the alignment and/or tires checked.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:28 AM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
More likely the intgernals were damaged, Either the blower or the fan (Thankfully two of the lowest cost "internals" and easiest to replace)

Short story: Neighbor here at Cathead Creek was up working on his Carrier Air V (Air Conditioner) Same symptom, bad rattle.. I helped him remove the inner covers (I had two of 'em stil have one) and he quickly found the blower hub was cracked and allowing it to rattle.. Late Friday, RV stores closed save for CW and that's a hundred mile hike. Where is he going to find a replacement?

My basement. You see I had two, and when the other one was replaced (The one I no longer have) I scrapped out a few parts. That was one of 'em
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote

air conditioner, roof