Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #1

Question Power cord

I have 50 amps and a down to 30 amp adapter and then a 15 amp adapter. My question is what size power cord do I need if I am plugging in to my house with the 15 amp adapter?

RVBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Get a good heavy cord with #12 wire in it. No heaters, no a/c units, just enough power to run the fridge (on electric) and keep the battery's charged

Old 03-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Depends on what you plan to run and how long the cord. A 14 gauge would normally be enough for 15 amps. 12 would be better of course but if you are just keeping the batteries charged there is no need to overkill it.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
A 15 A adapter is a bit of a misnomer as the amps are dependent on the circuit breaker wall outlet and attendant wiring. I do not have any circuits in my house or garage that are less than 20A. All of the wiring is 12Ga but none of my extension cords are less than 10Ga. You can if you are limiting to 15A use 12 Ga. Why risk an electrical fire?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Depends on what you plan to run and how long the cord. A 14 gauge would normally be enough for 15 amps. 12 would be better of course but if you are just keeping the batteries charged there is no need to overkill it.
When it comes to electric cords and electric power there is no such thing as "over-kill" in my book.......
Old 03-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you have the space on your home panel, plan on living there a while, and plan on owning an RV... why not just install a 50 amp outlet? Then you can run everything if you want right in your driveway. I installed one at my house in about an hour and my total cost was about $75.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #7

Thumbs up Power cord

Now Steve you are assuming I know anything about electrical issues much less self installing something! however I want to thank you and everyone else for their input! I love this forum, you guys get all my questions answered!
RVBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #8

The question we should be asking is: How far away is the RV from the electrical connection at the house? (HD4Mark said it)

You have a voltage drop due to resistance in the power cord and it increases with length. I think you want to provide your RV with at least 105 volts at all times. The bigger the power cord conductors the less the voltage drop so you can't determine the proper cord size without knowing the length and current. In this case I would use 15 amp for current.

Google "power cord voltage drop caculator" and you will find several caculators to determine power cord size/length for current being drawn.

I like this site Voltage Drop Calculator, Amperage Tables, Wire and Cable Technical information for voltage drop caculator.

Also, make sure connections are clean, a dirty connection will be resistive and get hot and burn itself up after a while.

good luck
Larry

Tags
power