Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #1

Evergreen Owners Club
Power cord question

The more campgrounds that I visit, the more places I find the utility box located. Some are at the rear of the site, some in the middle, others are near the road. A few are shared by several adjoining sites. Having just bought a trailer that is 4 feet longer than my previous unit, I want to be prepared for all utility box locations. I already have (2) 25 foot 30amp power cords. Question is, if I plug them together to get 50 feet, would there be a power loss through the male and female center connection? Would the same hold true for 50amp cords? The trailer is 50amp twist lock connection. As you might have already guessed I'm not an electrical wizard.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #2

You will be fine with the connections. Try and keep the connections up out of the water.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very little, if any. Watch for them heating up.

If they heat up it means there is some resistance in the connection. At that point you should clean the blades.

Occasionally I have to use my extension 30 amp extension cord and have not noticed any reduction in power.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #4

While camp hosting I have run mine for 100ft and everything worked fine and the wires never got hot. I don't believe you will have an issue.
gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a single 50' extension cord from CW and even it has issues with the connections, if you ever get a scorched blade, it's like a disease, it will infect whatever you plug it in to.

I have no issues with the 50', but I can imagine at 110-115 heat and low CG voltage tied to high A/C demand at the coach, there might be an issue. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #6

I guess I don't understand something. If your TT is wired fo 50 amp why would you use 30 amp extensions? Your best option is to use 50 amp extensions and use a 30 amp adapter at the pedestal if the pedestal only has 30 amp.
As far as power loss at a 30 amp connection you would have less loss using 50 amp extensions and an adapter because of the heaver gauge wire used for the 50 amp cable. Howeve I don't think it would be won ugh to make much difference.
Still, why not use all 50 cables?
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #7

He said he already has two 30 amp cords and probably doesn't want to spend the extra if not needed esp. if it's only for the occasional use.

Make sure the plug blades are kept clean and aren't pitted. Don't plug into the pedestal unless it is turned off as it will cause pitting, higher resistance and eventually, a possible meltdown. Yes, there would possibly be a small voltage drop but not enough to worry about. The fewer the connectors and plugs the better. I'd at least get a power line monitor so you can see what the cg supply is doing. Sometimes, the cg voltage can get low, especially in the summer. Much better, get a Progressive Industries EMS. Many campgrounds have pedestals that are well-used, tired and dirty & pitted. 50 amp pedestals can be in better shape than 30 because 30's get more use. If you were to plug into a 50 amp pedestal outlet, you may be better off as far as potential overheating goes.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #8

Oh... Good point!
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #9

Evergreen Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the great advice. And myredracer, I'll check into the power line monitor thing.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I have a single 50' extension cord from CW and even it has issues with the connections, if you ever get a scorched blade, it's like a disease, it will infect whatever you plug it in to.

I have no issues with the 50', but I can imagine at 110-115 heat and low CG voltage tied to high A/C demand at the coach, there might be an issue. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.
On the subject of burnt blades, I noticed the other day that one of the blades on my 30 Amp power cord on my Winnebago was burnt looking and pretty discolored on the yellow housing. The other blade is fine as is the ground prong. Any ideas on the cause of it and sounds like it should be replaced? Any advice would be helpful as I'm no electrical genius.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosenose View Post
On the subject of burnt blades, I noticed the other day that one of the blades on my 30 Amp power cord on my Winnebago was burnt looking and pretty discolored on the yellow housing. The other blade is fine as is the ground prong. Any ideas on the cause of it and sounds like it should be replaced? Any advice would be helpful as I'm no electrical genius.
I would just clean the blades with emery cloth or steel wool until bright and keep an eye on it. The hard part is cleaning the slots inside a receptacle. For flat bladed outlets, probably just a nail file would work and maybe cut the tip off. No idea on twist-lock ones. Maybe the only sure way is to replace it? If the metal is pitted on the plug blades, it'll be same inside the receptacle.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
I would just clean the blades with emery cloth or steel wool until bright and keep an eye on it. The hard part is cleaning the slots inside a receptacle. For flat bladed outlets, probably just a nail file would work and maybe cut the tip off. No idea on twist-lock ones. Maybe the only sure way is to replace it? If the metal is pitted on the plug blades, it'll be same inside the receptacle.
Thanks Gil, I will try and spiff it up and keep a close eye on it. I didn't notice any pitting but I will re-check just to be sure and replace it if needed.
Dee
Old 01-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep an eye on the plugs and outlets when you disconnect them.. Keep spare plugs and outlets in your tool box (At least one of each).. I just had to replace a set here.

With that much cord I'm not so much worried about losses in the plugs and outlets as the length of the cord.. Should be minimal though.. But if you are close to max (say over 20 amps) it can start to add up..

Keep an eye on the voltages when using all the cords. and again, Check the plugs, EVEN IF JUST USING THE RV's cord,, Clean or replace as needed.

Tags
power