Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
"mwwade"......With a Class B like yours, they're always trying to save space. Do as others stated and make a shorter cord.

My Monaco had a power cord reel and it worked well. Occasionally, I had to make sure it was spreading out evenly on the reel. My new coach, has a 50', very flexible cord that rolls in and out without issue.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't know of this will be of any help to any one, but on my Itasca 35F with 50 amp, I don't have the room to install, nor do I want to spend the money to obtain a power reel. When I first got the unit last year, I did what we called, when I was in outdoor work, giving the cord a "suntan". Parked the RV power cord on the sunny side so it got all day sun and heat exposure. First, I stretched out the cord on the asphalt pavement, being careful to get all the twists from the factory curling it up and storage. I left it out in the sun for the greater part of one of our Las Vegas sunny days. It was hot enough that day that I had to put on gloves to rewind it. Got the wife to help on the first roll up to help feeding the much more supple cord back into it's storage bin, being careful to ensure that each coil was as flat as possible and did not lap up against the walls of the bin. As it cooled, this helps "set" a manageable curl in the cord. Now on each set up, we only pull our just enough to get to the pole, then drag it back and feed it through the enclosure, ensuring we keep the cord reasonably straight. It has worked well enough that on a lot of our stops, my wife will pull the cord so that we can get the a/c on as soon as possible.

Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #17
When winding lay cord straight so it can twist as you roll it up.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I just looked them up. Holy cow they better work good at that price!

X2. Yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sally, Hailey (Shih Tzu) and Me!
08 Revolution LE 40E
12 Jeep Wrangler,10 FLHX
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:40 AM   #19
I guess I'm lucky! 30' 50a cord fits and had room for a 50' /50a extension, 4 adapters (30a to 50a, 15a to 30a, 20a twist to 30a, 30a to 15a,), a 110v 15a extension cord, and have room for a little more too. Trailer was originally a 30a, but previous owner didn't like how the cord would get a little warm on these hot Florida days and rewired to 50a power cord. He is a professional electrician for high tension power lines and a perfectionist and goes for overkill on anything he does, so I'm confident it was done right.
Bob and sometimes - Nina - a Staffordshire Terrier/a SPOILED pit and her kitty Spaz
2006 Dodge SLT 2500 4x4 Cummins Quad Cab w/AT and 3.73
2007 Salem Sport LE 26FBSRV (TH) w/ my Victory Motorcycle in it or a EZ GO Shuttle cart.
NFlcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #20
To the OP, I don't know what (if anything ) you ended up doing. I finally, just last week, added a hard wired surge protector and automatic transfer switch. I also cut my original shore power cord, now coming out of the newly installed surge protector, turning it into a pig tail cord, which connects to what is now an extension cord. That eliminated having to run the whole cord through the py-hi hole in the bottom of the compartment. There is plenty of room in the space, but it was a real pain running the cord in and out. I got a chance to use it this past weekend - much better set up.

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote

power, storage