Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-27-2015, 06:09 PM   #1
Power Gear Thin Rack Slide Failure

When I bought my Excursion I thought good it has a Power Gear slide not Schwintek like the 5th wheel I was getting rid of.

You read a lot of issues with Schwintek online but I must say in the years I used them I never once hit the switch and it did not come in. Yea I had it get out of alignment but I always got it to come in to go home. I can no longer say that about my Power Gear set up in the Excursion. I had a motor failure this weekend while camping, when I hit the switch to bring in the slide no go. Long story short it has a bad motor on one side. Sad thing is it has not been used much. I bought it last November and the previous owner put basically no miles on it and it still had factory stickers in the shower and florescent stickers on the walls below the windows about use of the blinds.

Anyway I was looking to contact Power Gear because they warranty for 2 years on factory installed slides and wanted to see what the warranty policy was but no contact numbers, just a fax and a e-mail. I Kinda see where this might be going but I did e-mail them and will see what there response is.

I already have the motor out as that was the only way to get her home but if I have to pay a shop to troubleshoot and repair I may as well just by the parts outright because at this point I would have to put the bad motor back in for them to tell me it is bad and pay them to replace it.

2014 Excursion 35B
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
Well 24 hours later no reply to my e-mail in request of how to process warranty. I guess a e-mail back from someone who don't list a phone number is a little to much to expect.

2014 Excursion 35B
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you use info@powergearus.com ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Power gear is not big on customer service calls.. As I recall they work through dealers.. You can go to any dealer who handles that make of RV or to Camping world.

The motor may be one you can get for less from other sources but as I recall the Power Gear motors have a electromagnetically released brake on them and the alternative does not.. I do not know if this is fixable. (the lack of brake) or how important it is sice I use lock bars when traveling on my Power Gear.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
I just had a go 'round with Power Gear concerning a problem with my Kwikee system. In my case they were very responsive and provided all of the information I needed to be able to order the correct motor for my system. The even included all of the drawings relevant to my system. My system was well out of warranty, so that may make a difference in the response.

There is an email response form on their web site that I used to make the initial contact. Your response will be from Lippert as they apparently now have the Power Gear and Kwikee brands.

You can also use the email address given above by Cliff.
Tom and Barb
'07 Winnebago Voyage 35L
Workhorse W22 chassis FMCA 219315
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:19 PM   #6
Allow me to bump this thread. I am looking at a Fleetwood Flair 26D that has the power gear slide system.

I have heard the woes of the Schwintech system and also that they seem to have worked the bugs out. What is the verdict on the Power Gear brand? If I am looking at it right the rack is plastic!!! Is this true and is this a good thing or a bad thing.

Am I also reading now that Lippert owns both systems?

Whats the skinny on the power tech systems?
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:54 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
What was wrong with the motor?? Did it just quit working?

I had one quit ~3 years ago, I narrowed it down to the motor but had to head out of town. My wife was driving the RV to a friends house so I went ahead and ordered a new motor and had it shipped to her friends house. Her husband installed, no big deal. I told her to keep the old motor.

Probably 6 months later I got a chance to take the old motor apart. The Power Gear motor has an electric brake on one end. When I took the motor apart I couldn't find a problem. Put everything back together and tested using a battery charger. It worked fine. Reversed polarity and it worked in the opposite direction.

It might pay to take it apart, look for a problem, and put back together. Never know, you may get lucky.

Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote

power, power gear, slide