Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2018, 11:14 PM   #1

Power lift spare tire storage

Since we were getting ready to start toading the Prius, I wanted to get the spare tire out of the way. My first thought was a winch like many of us have under their pickups and SUVs. After much searching and seeing the prices , I started looking at ATV winches. The same mounting would work either way. I started looking, but I took a trip through a Tractor Supply that had opened while I was killing time and I found a 2000# ATV winch discounted to $61.99. On Memorial Day, SWMBO and I went to another Tractor Supply and lo and behold, they had a 2500# winch discounted to $42. CHA-CHING! Between TS and West Marine, I had the winch, spring, 23 feet of 6AWG for + and -, 30 amp breaker, and connectors. After sitting down and looking, I made a nut and bolt list and off to Lowes Hardware. The hardest part was finding a 50" piece of 4 inch C-channel. I went to one place in Raleigh and they had the 4", but when I went to get it, it was on the bottom and would have taken two of us 30 minutes to get to it, but they had a 6" at the top, so I took that. I kept looking and finally had a chance to get to the shop a mile down the road, and he had exactly what I wanted. He was also putting new springs under a trailer and gave me the small leaf to use to lift the tire. I cut an opening in the channel and drilled my holes. Then I sanded, primed, and painted the pieces. Today, I got everything together and ran my wiring. I ran off of the coach batteries with a short lead to the 30 amp breaker, then put the control in the back storage on the curb side. I placed the assembly on the frame extension as far forward and to the curbside as I could. The control is free and I can take it under the coach.

It works really well, but I need to do a few more things. I need a little longer leaf spring and put a couple of studs to go into the lug holes on the wheel as the spring wants to slide to the side, and the other is getting two rods to drop from the channel to go through the lug holes where I can use two lug nuts to support the spare rather than relying on the winch. One other thing may be unspooling the winch and cutting the cable shorter by half. I have way more cable than I will need and I worry about the cable fouling.

It's not a bad setup to have less than $150 in it. The winch was less than half what a manual crank would have been, but I had to get wiring and connectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1333.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	205608   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1337.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	205609  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1345.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	205610   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1348.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	205611  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2018, 06:22 AM   #2

When thinking of cutting cable make sure it is long enough to lower spare to ground then move rig before you unhook. Much easier to handle the spare if not under the rig...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:43 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
When thinking of cutting cable make sure it is long enough to lower spare to ground then move rig before you unhook. Much easier to handle the spare if not under the rig...
(Only prob) is that now, even if tire went flat overnight, by moving rig, you just 100% guaranteed no repair, you must replace tire?
Old 09-03-2018, 12:54 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Nice mod.....typically the coach will be jacked up to change the tire and the spare can then be retrieved.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Nice mod.....typically the coach will be jacked up to change the tire and the spare can then be retrieved.
Thanks. It has 25 feet of cable so I don't think that will be a problem. Still debating about shortening the cable although keeping he entire run just because I might need it for something else.....
Old 09-03-2018, 03:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
(Only prob) is that now, even if tire went flat overnight, by moving rig, you just 100% guaranteed no repair, you must replace tire?

Tire go down overnight, moving a couple of revolutions will ruin the tire? Not likely. I have moved more than a few across the lot to shop instead of using the portable equipment.

Quote:

WHAT?!? Get the tire out before you jack it up! Why on earth would you want to get under while it's on a jack?
Old 09-03-2018, 05:39 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"ScoobyDoo"......First off, it's got dual rear wheels. If it's an outer dual, he can run the inner up on blocks and change it. If it's an inner dual, he can use wood, jack stand or coach jacks to safely retrieve spare. Lastly, with the length of cable he's using, he really doesn't need to crawl under the coach to grab it. Getting it out from under the coach safely isn't difficult.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:54 AM   #8

Quote:
"ScoobyDoo"......First off, it's got dual rear wheels. If it's an outer dual, he can run the inner up on blocks and change it.
There is no magic in MH wheels that is not in truck wheels. Likely more truck wheels are changed in a day than MH in month. The inner on block, change outer has been found problematic for decades. Bud wheels, even if you re-torque the inner nut/studs, the next time the wheel needs to comes off, it's almost a sure bet you will have the inner nut in the outer wheel. (A indication the inner was not torqued right) If as much more likely, he has hub-piloted wheels, when the nuts are removed, nothing is holding the inner to hub. If a little shift, space between wheel and hub, torque the nuts, roll the wheel and a little shift, now you have loose lugs. Few hundred miles, you have ruined a couple of wheels.

Quote:
If it's an inner dual, he can use wood, jack stand or coach jacks to safely retrieve spare.
The time you are placing stands, whatever, then retrieving them, is more time on the shoulder, with all the risks that involves.

Quote:
Lastly, with the length of cable he's using, he really doesn't need to crawl under the coach to grab it. Getting it out from under the coach safely isn't difficult.
This. From the time of bumper jacks it has been drilled into my head. If going under a vehicle be sure that is setting on the ground, on ramps that will hold the weight, or jacked up, then lowered onto stands. To change a tire, jack it up, but don't get under.
And over the years I have learned that a flat on single wheel, park it on a block. Takes much less jacking to get off block, move block to put wheel back on...
Old 09-04-2018, 05:45 AM   #9

I would not rely on the inner wheels staying in place when the outer is removed. Unlike a big rig with inner and outer lug nuts, his rig only has outer lug nuts.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:54 AM   #10

With my tail height, I can remove the spare easily even if both RR are down. To raise it, first option is the leveling system and second it a heavy bottle jack, third is both at the same time.

Tags
power, storage