Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Power question

I have a 2014 Alegro Bus in which we recently celebrated our 1 year anniversary of full time RV Living. Although it has a built in surge protector, I was advised to purchase a surge guard and never thought twice since I wanted to protect our new home. I got the Model 34750 for 50 amp and never had a problem at the campgrounds that we have visited, until Now. We left for a day of jaunting and when we came back, discovered the bus on Battery and the surge guard flashing red. It was showing low voltage and fluctuating between 113 and 116V. I tried reseting the post breaker and after observing it cycle several times to reset, I contacted the Park Manager. He advised me to bypass the surge protector because since it showed power at the post, there was not a problem. When I argued with him, he said that since the electrical company provided the power to the grounds, there was nothing he could do and I would have to live with it. I finally convinced him to get the electric company out to check it. I pulled the surge guard off and checked the only two open 50amp spots in which it showed 118v from one and 116 from the other. I did not attempt to bypass the surge protection and since I need to stay in the area until Mid March, I am alternating using my batteries and generators. I am not an electrician and it scares me, My question is, has anyone else experience something similar and what advice can you give me. Thanks in Advance.
NoAgenda2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm somewhat confused by your report, since 113v-118v is quite normal voltage. Anywhere in the 110-120 range is considered "good" and "acceptable" runs all the way from about 105-125.

It sounds as though there was a momentary voltage drop or other abnormality and your Surge Guard power monitor did its thing to protect you. Then power returned to normal, which is what you saw when you returned. The Surge Giard says it restores power 128 seconds after the fault condition clears up. Did yours do that?

http://trci.net/media/125324/506-000...50-001-lcd.pdf
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:12 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
No it would not restore power from the post that I was on. It just kept recycling. after the 128 seconds, it would turn green for about 2 seconds and then go into fault again. When I tried it on the open spots, it would turn green and stay, of course that was just the surge guard.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:18 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Actually, allowable range is 108-132. That's 120 +/- 10%. Nominal voltage hasn't been 110V for many years.

You should call Surge Guard. Those voltages should not trip the protector. Are you sure it was a Low Voltage alert and not something else? Does it have an actual display or just a warning light? I have a Progressive with an actual LED readout.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I just went and plugged the surge guard back in and L1 is showing 117v and L2 is the one that is showing low voltage with 090v. sorry I should have reflected those in the beginning.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, that's definitely bad. What about those other sites? Same? Show that to the CG manager...
Old 02-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I appreciate the quick responses. I'll remain on generator and battery until its either checked or its time to leave. there is one other site showing the same symptoms as mine.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:00 PM   #8

Get yourself a good voltmeter and learn how to use it.

Regardless of the surge guard or other manufacturer the internal voltmeters may be great but cannot and usually ate not acceptable for "comnercial" use , meaning claiming problem with line power as the device could be wired wrong or defective.

Measuring the voltage at the pedestal takes just seconds and if the operator is confident in their presentation of the situation it is difficult for anyone to argue the point.

Just 2 things needed...good voltmeter and ability to use it.

Many tips on the forum so search "checking pedestal voltages" and "quality voltmeter" for more help.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:53 AM   #9

Perhaps it's a bad breaker? I am not even a novice when it comes to electricity, but experienced a problem when I arrived at the current park where surge protector ran thru 120 second delay turned green then immediately started blinking red.

Went thru a couple of iterations of recycling breaker then notified park management. Maintenance came over and changed breaker and all is working well. I've learned more on this forum than I can ever pay back. Lots of experts on here who have guided me to resolve a problem more than once.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:41 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would check the voltages with a good voltmeter. If one side is still showing 90VAC, insist that the manager confirm your readings, then INSIST strongly that he have the electrical company fix the problem.

If he still refuses, ask for the name and phone number of the CG owner, then call that person.

There's no reason you should pay for service you're not getting!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
That is exactly what was happening to me. I didn't understand what I was seeing on the surge guard until it was explained to me. L1 - 114v, L2 - 090v. You are so right about learning from this forum. I was advised to turn to this forum for any issues and so far they have helped me each time. I only hope I can assist others as they have me.

Tags
power