Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #1

Power steering pump

1996 Safari Motor Home Lost Power Steering and Power Brakes. I do not have air brakes. Where should I look for the problem ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #2

I guess I'll have to ask , gas engine or diesel pusher ??
Chassis manufacturer ?
If diesel pusher, engine type ? , side rad or rear radiator?

Old 09-28-2016, 07:11 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Your chassis may have hydroboost which could give those symptoms. The power steering pump provides the pressure for both steering and the brakes.. This may help: Hydro-Boost Power Assist Systems: Operation Diagnosis and Repair
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I guess I'll have to ask , gas engine or diesel pusher ??
Chassis manufacturer ?
If diesel pusher, engine type ? , side rad or rear radiator?
300 HP Caterpillar turbo Serial # 1WM07239 , pusher, Magnum Chassis, Allison Transmission Model 3060. If I can help with any other info. please feel free to contact me. Again, thank you my friend.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #5

Because you don't have air brakes ; as I do ; and I believe your older 300 HP Cat engine is different than mine, I can't say for sure where the hydraulic pump for your steering and brakes, is mounted , or if its belt driven or gear drive .

I'll describe my set up any way , low on the passenger side of the engine just above oil pan height, the air compressor is mounted to the timing gear cover on my 3126B, the hydraulic pump is mounted to the back of the compressor , the pump supplies the pressure for the cooling system rad fan ( side mounted rad) and P/S. The fluid reservoir for the system , is high on the passenger side and visible with the engine access door open on the rear of the coach .

First thing to do is, find & check the fluid level in the reservoir , if the level is up , then you should be able to follow the hydraulic hoses to the pump, it may be gear driven and mounted in a similar place; only visible from under the coach.

I have this number for Cat RV engines support ; sorry I can't say if it's still operational. Have your engine serial number handy if you call.
1-877-777-3126
If it is; they could answer questions about the pump and having it tested, or supply a part number for a replacement.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #6

I am new to RVing. Gasoline motors I know & diesel Motors I'm learning. You are right. I do not have air brakes. I found the hydraulic pump lower passenger side of the motor. The reservoir was on the out side in a compartment, very easy to get to. I checked that and found out it was low on fluid. I fill the reservoir to the mark level. I started the RV and worked the brakes and steering to get any air out of the system. It is working great, but the reservoir has fallen below recommended level. Added more fluid and now everything is great. Now I will follow the hydraulic hoses to make sure there is no leak. My friend I want to thank you for your advise, time and troubles for you to help me.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:40 AM   #7

Diesels don't produce any vacuum required by power brake systems.
If you have a diesel engine and no air brakes, the power steering pump will also supply fluid to the brake system.

On light diesel pickup trucks, there's a Bendix Hydroboost system with 2 hoses going from the p/s pump up behind where the power brake booster would usually be. On my F250, Mercon automatic transmission fluid is used.

That's where you would look for any problems to come from.
__________________________________________________ _______
I recently blew a teflon gasket in a hose, so I replaced the hose, pump and steering gearbox. On the Ford, the remanufactured parts were downright inexpensive. I couldn't believe how much better my brakes work after flushing the old 135K mile fluids with fresh juice. It's very important that any diesel with this type brakes have the fluids changed every 30-40K miles.

Tags
power, steering