Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Powering a 24Volt CPAP with Humidifier?

We are about to order a Black Stone travel trailer from ORV. My wife uses a 24volt CPAP with humidifier. Power usage varies from just under 2 amps to just under 4 amps. I can't tell what the humidifier uses because there is no identification for this so I assume total usuage would be under 4 amps. Any suggestions as to the best way to power the CPAP? What type and number of batteries would I require for 8 hour usage and solar panels for recharge? We are planing on getting a 2000w portable generator to assist the solar panels. Anyone have experience dry camping with a CPAP?
Island Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #2

The Cpap is 24 volt but it has an integrated converter and plugs into a 120v outlet in your house right?
So at night you would need to power it with an inverter and house battery bank.
Inverter size would be determined buy other AC draw in the coach at night. Especially a household frig.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #3

My DW's CPAP is a 12volt model with a removable humidifier, we purchased the 12 volt hook up with the unit , it's 10 years old and we'll have to shop carefully for a replacement if the newer models are 24v.

It would be best if you contacted the CPAP manufacturer , and see , what if anything is available , for use in an RV.
Installing a small inverter , dedicated to the CPAP may be required.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #4

I had a 24v ResMed CPAP. They have a 12v dc to 24v dc power brick available for purchase. It worked well, but I cannot tell you what the load is. I did not have any trouble operating overnight on coach battery.

I now have a Phillips CPAP. It is 12v dc and they have a lighter type plug power cord. It works well, too.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't advise you on that.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #6

Unless your coach has a 24V system so you can power it direct from the batteries, you need to know what the draw from the mains is.

Normally the humidifier is the main power hog so many users are able to survive OK with the humidifier turned off.

If you are going to be running via a large inverter, then the overall efficiency will be quite low so accurate current draws will be required.

I would suggest you charge the coach batteries at home, disconnect shore power and have the coach running in night time mode ie fridge on if that is normal, plug the CPAP in early in the morning and let it run all day simulating nighttime use as far as possible. Measure the battery voltage every 2 hours with a digital multimeter. At the end of the simulated night, measure the battery voltage again, then hit the salesmans switch and turn off the inverter, wait one hour and measure the battery voltage again.

Then go back on shore power and return everything to normal.

The voltage readings will give us a very good idea of what you can expect in the field, but of course the proviso is that once you have depleted batteries over one night, that you can get them back up to near full charge during the next day.

A better system might be to contact the dealer and buy a 12V adaptor so you can run it direct from your house batteries and so get better efficiencies by eliminating your big inverter
Old 04-22-2018, 12:12 AM   #7

Powering a 24Volt CPAP with Humidifier?

I have a ResMed c-pap and purchased the battery backup that they suggested. Works great and rechargeable on 12v plug. If completely drained it will take about 4 hours to recharge. I can go two 8 hour nights until recharge is needed, but I don’t use the humidifier either.
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:27 AM   #8

While my RVing CPAPs are 12V without integral humidifiers, I recently got a 24V ResMed Air10 with integral heated humidifier. There is a 12-24v brick available from CPAP.com for $80, but I plan to stick with my older CPAPs for RVing. The new one never really powers off so it would always be consuming energy. However, if a humidifier is necessary for comfort, there are passive cold water trays available which use no electricity. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/res...fier-hose.html
My suggestion is to either get a DC cord to plug into a 12v receptacle, or buy a small no humidity CPAP and 12v supply to use in the RV, and a humidifier tray if desired. The beauty of 12v is that you don't even notice a campground power outage and you can still dry camp easily. Go with a minimum of a Group 27 battery. If you want solar get a minimum of 200w mounted on the roof as portables only charge when they are set out and not while driving down the road.
My 12v CPAP uses very little of the RV battery over night. If I start with the RV battery fully charged (12.6v), it is only down to 12.5 in the morning and that includes the parasitic draws of the stereo, CO detector, etc. I do have a pair of 6V golf cart batteries though.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:33 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Yes the 12v plug in power adapter is availableClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6031.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	493.0 KB
ID:	200122Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6037.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	200123 I bought mine from my cpap provider or you can buy on on Amazon
Old 04-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for all the great recommendations!

Now to implement them. The trailer we are purchasing has multiple ports on the roof for solar panels. Any recommendation on roof mounted solar panels? One dealer said not to bother with them, only get a portable panel. Judging from comments here we will need larger batteries and I would guess we will need a generator to assist the solar panels for charging. BC Provincial Parks limit the hours a gen set can be run so this complicates things a bit. Plus they are annoying. Also my wife uses a mobility scooter that would require charging too. I think we could use a Mr. Fusion or nuclear reactor.
Island Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Range View Post
Now to implement them. The trailer we are purchasing has multiple ports on the roof for solar panels. Any recommendation on roof mounted solar panels? One dealer said not to bother with them, only get a portable panel. Judging from comments here we will need larger batteries and I would guess we will need a generator to assist the solar panels for charging. BC Provincial Parks limit the hours a gen set can be run so this complicates things a bit. Plus they are annoying. Also my wife uses a mobility scooter that would require charging too. I think we could use a Mr. Fusion or nuclear reactor.
What your dealer knows about solar might fill a thimble and he proved it when he opened his mouth. I like Renogy as you can easily get the parts or kits as needed. I've heard they have good tech support as well. See if you can find a solar person in your area with Google. But, I started with the Renogy 100W portable suitcase kit that makes it easy. I learned from that and installed two 100W panels on the roof and a solar charger a year or so later.
Trailers and fivers usually come with an inadequate Group 24 12v battery. Get your dealer to upgrade that to a Grp 27, 29 or 31 (bigger is better).
As for a generator, get an inverter type for quiet running. Honda makes the best and just updated the 2000w to 2200w. However, there is nothing wrong with the Champion 2000 and it is a lot cheaper.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power