Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #15

MH's that have been used for living in have more than 10 times the wear and tear that a normally used rv has. Used 365 days a year versus 30 or less. I would never consider buying a unit that has been used to live in unless the price was adjusted accordingly.

Three things I always ask when looking to buy, pets, smoking and fulltime.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 09:41 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
MH's that have been used for living in have more than 10 times the wear and tear that a normally used rv has. Used 365 days a year versus 30 or less. I would never consider buying a unit that has been used to live in unless the price was adjusted accordingly.

Three things I always ask when looking to buy, pets, smoking and fulltime.
Gonna have to disagree with you a tad on the FT issue.

Because I (an other FTers) LIVE in these we have to take care of them. I've upgraded and repaired mine to be better than it was when we got it and it was in very good shape then. Keep in mine we know it much better than week end warriors for the most part.

Now...I'm not saying a FT RV can't be a POS but I wouldn't be so dismissive of that factor. Especially if they have good maintenance records to go with it.

BTW...I've seen many "low miles/seldom used" RVs that were in horrible shape. Either they were neglected or the owners just didn't keep them up because they could tolerate minor issues (that sometimes turned into big issues) for short periods of time.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:12 PM   #17

I assure you that looking at our 8 yr old full-timers motorhome you would not be able to tell we were full-timers - inside or out. We loved our home and it showed.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Why don't you just buy a plane ticket and fly over? If you like what you see you can sign a deal, then bring your m/h back for consignment.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:51 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryl View Post
Thanks everyone for their input and suggestions. It never occurred to me that some rigs go on sale for a week or so, and then go back to the regular price. Now it makes sense. Just good marketing, I guess. Being the cynical person that I am, I thought they bumped the price up when someone showed interest in a particular vehicle. I also appreciate the comments on the actual role of the salespeople, and the sheer volume of business that they do. Unfortunately, it also makes me wonder why the rig I am interested in has been sitting there as long as it has.

I still have some real reservations about jumping in my RV and driving 3 days and 1200 miles just to see if a vehicle is "as described." I had planned on doing my own detailed inspection once I got there, but if it turns out visually to be a bit of a turd, I would not be interested at any price. If a handful of things don't work, that can be negotiated. I understand it is a used vehicle. But if it looks like it was lived in full time for 5 years, that would be a deal breaker. I am also pretty specific on the size and floor plan that I am looking for, so the chance of just walking down the row and finding another similar rig is pretty slim.

Do any of you fine people have the name and phone # of any of these individuals or companies who can give it a quick once-over?
Ed with RV Survey is who I used. $500, but his checklist is around 22 pages and complete report was 33 pages.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
Why don't you just buy a plane ticket and fly over? If you like what you see you can sign a deal, then bring your m/h back for consignment.
I haven't priced a short-notice return flight from Mesa, AZ to Houston and back, but I would have to add 4 cab or shuttle rides (two at either end), probably at least one motel stay in Houston, and boarding my golden lab here at home for the time I am gone. Probably cheaper to hire one of the RV inspectors in the area. Plus, their report would be much more comprehensive than any inspection that I could do in an afternoon.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:07 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryl View Post
I haven't priced a short-notice return flight from Mesa, AZ to Houston and back, but I would have to add 4 cab or shuttle rides (two at either end), probably at least one motel stay in Houston, and boarding my golden lab here at home for the time I am gone. Probably cheaper to hire one of the RV inspectors in the area. Plus, their report would be much more comprehensive than any inspection that I could do in an afternoon.
THIS IS WHAT I'M DOING RIGHT NOW LOL!!

I literally am in the supershuttle from IAH to my hotel. At 12am.

I live in Scottsdale.

US airways flights PHX-IAH are $139 each way. I booked this one last night. I bought a one way ticket, hoping to drive home!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to long distance RV buying. Interesting that you are coming from AZ to Texas to shop. Most of the units I was most interested, were in the PHX / Tucson area. I was contemplating traveling to AZ. Fortunately I found what I was looking for in the DFW area, about 4 hours away. Austin is kind of a dead zone for looking at large DP's.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
THIS IS WHAT I'M DOING RIGHT NOW LOL!!

I literally am in the supershuttle from IAH to my hotel. At 12am.

I live in Scottsdale.

US airways flights PHX-IAH are $139 each way. I booked this one last night. I bought a one way ticket, hoping to drive home!
That's great news, GearGirl! Best of luck. Hope everything goes smoothly. Have a safe trip back to Scottsdale, and keep us informed on how things went at PPL. And thanks for the pricing info on the RV inspection and the airline ticket.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
We deal with the Houston store. I haven't purchased a MH from them but since they are 110 mi from our driveway and 23 mi from the S-I-L driveway, we get over there often. We purchased our ref from them when our old one died. Later we purchased a 15,000 BTU Coleman ac. Both had a very nice price and were installed on time in a workman like manner. We set both installations up when we were going to be beginning one of the trips out west so they were "on the way". They offered us a 50 amp parking space but we elected to go to S-I-L. I think they have 5 or 6 slots.

I would very strongly recommend them to any one needing anything to do with rving.

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We bought our Motorhome from them in March...New Braunfels. They are nothing but a consignment dealer. It was a pleasure to be able to spend half a day in the lot looking at all the inventory, and discussing things with the other customers on the lot. And no Mickey Mouse, lying, BS artist,commission salesman following you around (been there done that too many times).

If you are looking to trade in....you are going to get angry. But buying out right, couldn't have been better.

We had delays with our financing, and they were very patient and supportive with the original owner. I thought they were friendly, helpful, and very professional. I will look to them first, if I am ever in the market again.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEFFY View Post
We deal with the Houston store. I haven't purchased a MH from them but since they are 110 mi from our driveway and 23 mi from the S-I-L driveway, we get over there often. We purchased our ref from them when our old one died. Later we purchased a 15,000 BTU Coleman ac. Both had a very nice price and were installed on time in a workman like manner. We set both installations up when we were going to be beginning one of the trips out west so they were "on the way". They offered us a 50 amp parking space but we elected to go to S-I-L. I think they have 5 or 6 slots.

I would very strongly recommend them to any one needing anything to do with rving.

So they are just a go between the buyer and a private seller? They don't own any of the inventory?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
They sell parts too, the bit you quoted, but they are otherwise a consignment dealer. They don't own what is on the lot.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
They will buy your MH but you are better off to let them have it on consignment. They do own, but very few, some of the MHs on their lot.

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes