Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #1

PPL Motorhomes

I contacted PPL Motorhomes towards the end of September, regarding one of the units advertised on their website. In my e-mail, I asked several questions about the RV I was interested in, as well as some basic inquiries regarding deposits, inspections, etc. I also mentioned that I would be bringing a Class A some 1200 miles, and leaving it with them on consignment, assuming that the vehicle I was interested in checked out okay.

I received an e-mail back on Sept. 23, acknowledging receipt of mine, and stating that a salesperson would contact me shortly. A CC was also sent to a particular salesperson.

Well, it is now Oct. 2, and I have heard nothing. In addition, 4 days after my inquiry, they removed the RV I was asking about from the "rock bottom" price list, and raised the price by 2K. It is still on their website at the higher price.

Does anyone have any opinion as to whether this is standard operating procedure at PPL? I have read some positive reviews on them, and others that were not so good. I am having an uneasy feeling about this already based on what has taken place so far.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Other than a sales guy who isn't keeping up with his assignments, I'm not sure what "operating procedure" you mean. Disappointing, though, and I would probably send another email saying you've had no contact.

The RV was put on sale. Nobody bought it, and the sale period ended. I would be pretty confident that an offer at the sale price would still be accepted, though. They already signalled that the lower price was acceptable.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you contacted the one South of Fort Worth, good luck getting an answer!! We went there to look for a DP. Walked around for an hour and no one even came out to visit with us. We were looking at used coaches. However we did notice that there were several sales people driving customers around to look at the new luxury DP's. Guess our price range wasn't high enough lol!!
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I think PPL is a good place to see and compare used coaches. My experience with them (New Braunfels) was pleasant, although we didn't buy from them. However, they were responsive to my questions. Their policy seemed to be to let you browse 1st and then answer questions.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
if you know the salesman name I would just pick up the phone and call him and not count on e-mails.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5711 View Post
if you know the salesman name I would just pick up the phone and call him and not count on e-mails.
I understand your point and appreciate the comment. I do have his name. However, in dealing with an RV salesperson (or any salesperson for that matter), I want all promises, or even claims to be in writing, especially before driving 1200 miles (or 2400 round trip for nothing if things go bad.) Even more so when they are relieving me of 60K+.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #7

Which of the PPL lots was the MH at?
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Which of the PPL lots was the MH at?
Sorry, I should have mentioned that. It is the main Houston lot.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I have dealt with PPL several times - buying and selling. I live close to the main facility in Houston and have never used email with them, always phone or in person. They are honest and fair dealing. I am guessing that someone just dropped the ball.

The company is very good, but understand it is a consignment-only operation. Pretty much anything they can tell you about a coach is in the listing. They make no promises about any RV.

The "salesmen" are really facilitators and order writers. They will help you if you have an offer for the owner, but are very neutral and do not really have additional information about a coach or trailer.

"Rock Bottom" prices are typically temporary to give a coach a bit of extra attention for a particular weekend or week. It often is used when a coach has been there a while. Even though a rock bottom price is gone, it tells you the owner agreed to that price once and probably would do so again if there was an offer. Actually I would offer under the rock bottom price.

I hope this helps.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:06 PM   #10

We recently sold our motorhome within one month's time at the Houston facility. It was an excellent experience for us and everything was dealt with very professionally.

I, too, would call them rather than emailing.

You need to understand though that this is a consignment facility. They are not heavily into aggressive selling. They don't come out to the lot with you to look at different ones unless you're really interested and you are. Basically, they don't follow you around while you look. If you then have questions, they'll try to answer as best they can but it all depends on the information the previous owner gave them.

In our case, they suggested a price. However, we set our own price taking into account the selling fee. We got what we asked. The new owner flew in from Florida to look at it, asked a few questions of us through the PPL employee. We had supplied all of the manuals and service and maintenance receipts. The buyer made the comment that it was a plus for him. It would be a plus for us to if we were buying.

They do have occasional 'sales' as you noted but then the price returns or is changed by the owner. PPL doesn't do the pricing. You deal through the owner.

It is a VERY busy facility. We were amazed on just our few hours there how many people were looking, dropping off RVs to sell, and driving their new ones out. They get a lot of traffic.

Bottom line, we had a good experience. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:51 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Total newbie here...about to pull the trigger on buying my first RV! I've got a contract on one at the Houston PPL as we speak. I paid an independent inspector to give it a thorough once-over and test drive, and he came back with several things to negotiate about (W/D combo not functional; broken awning bracket; dash AC not working; dining table broken) so I'm pulling together another price to offer the seller based on findings. I understand it's an '04 so I need to factor in the reality that this is NOT new and components are NOT new, but if you advertise having these things then they better be functional! I'm hoping seller will go halvsies with me on repairs. We'll see.

FWIW, in their contract you have 24 hours after inspection to make a decision, and our closing date was set for October 5, but I spoke with the sales manager Craig and he said don't sweat it, when I re-negotiate the price it'll restart the clock.

And YES their format is more "here's a list of RVs and a facility map, knock thyself out" but once you decide on one they are helpful.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Re-negotiating after your inspection is a good idea. If the owner won't budge, just wait. Either another will come along or the first one will still be there and you can go back with a new offer. RVs go in and out of there like they have a revolving door.

I used to go up every Saturday. I would check the listings on Friday night, make note of the ones I wanted to see and be there in the morning.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for their input and suggestions. It never occurred to me that some rigs go on sale for a week or so, and then go back to the regular price. Now it makes sense. Just good marketing, I guess. Being the cynical person that I am, I thought they bumped the price up when someone showed interest in a particular vehicle. I also appreciate the comments on the actual role of the salespeople, and the sheer volume of business that they do. Unfortunately, it also makes me wonder why the rig I am interested in has been sitting there as long as it has.

I still have some real reservations about jumping in my RV and driving 3 days and 1200 miles just to see if a vehicle is "as described." I had planned on doing my own detailed inspection once I got there, but if it turns out visually to be a bit of a turd, I would not be interested at any price. If a handful of things don't work, that can be negotiated. I understand it is a used vehicle. But if it looks like it was lived in full time for 5 years, that would be a deal breaker. I am also pretty specific on the size and floor plan that I am looking for, so the chance of just walking down the row and finding another similar rig is pretty slim.

Do any of you fine people have the name and phone # of any of these individuals or companies who can give it a quick once-over?
Old 10-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #14

Think of the trip as exploring new territory. Even if the RV doesn't pan out you could still make a 'vacation' of the trip and see new things. You don't have to drive there and back immediately. Get off those interstates!

Also, what's wrong with getting a RV that a full-timer had? A full-timer needs to keep it running and all appliances in good working order so things are going to be repaired. The one we sold was lived in for 8 years and the new owner didn't seem to care. Chances are slim that it would be completely neglected.

To me, it's even better in some ways in that it's not sitting somewhere unused or just used a couple weeks a year. A engine that's used is better.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes