Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2014, 10:00 AM   #1

Question Pre-Delivery Inspection Issues

Question: If I find a serious problem during the PDI of my travel trailer do I have the option to cancel the sale if the dealer cannot fix the issue in either a timely fashion or to meet OEM specification?

Furthermore, if I took possession and then find an issue that the dealer SHOULD have found, what are my options? I'm thinking the customer is stuck with the unit or else will have to wait forever for repairs.

I'm aware I could ask the dealer but frankly I do not trust them anymore. Sad, the place has a good reputation (I won't name them in case they end up doing the right thing).
Holladay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Here's the only example I am aware of where the customer walked away from the deal at the point of PDI:
Winnebago - No Sale of Special Ordered Coach - Lack of Build Quality | Outside Our Bubble

Overall I would say better to get it right before taking possession than to attempt to get it right after...
Old 04-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Dealers will try to make things found right, since they want to close the sale. Once you've driven off the lot, your pretty much on your own (unless it's a new one with warranty). Once you've left, they can claim most defects were caused by you. That's why a thorough inspection by yourself and not a dealer is the single most important thing anyone should do before signing and taking delivery.

Don't trust what a dealer's done for an inspection. I found one of the marker lights corroded out after towing our Montana home last year, and I'll bet they never even looked at any exterior lights. What's really difficult is a dealer will usually not want to put water in systems so you can check for leaks and operation. Why they don't want you to do this is beyond me (unless there's a winterizing that would have to be done afterwards if you don't buy). I suppose it's just what they've been able to get away with.

If you don't know where to start with doing your own PDI, try RV Consumer Group. Even if you think you've got a handle on everything, think about how much you're spending on the RV.

Oh, and I've heard of several people who walked away from the deal after PDI. USUALLY a dealer will make things work to close the deal, but sometimes not.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just make sure your sales contract with the dealer specifies that you only accept the rig after the PDI and your satisfaction with how any issues are addressed.

Has always worked for us.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #5

Thanks guys. Sounds like it's mine now. Lesson learned. They rushed me through the PDI and gave me a very uninformed person to do the walk-through. I found some items that should have been addressed before I took possession of my NEW TT.
-HW Heater DOA
-All GFCI outlets dead
-No batteries in CO or Smoke detectors
Couple other nit-picky things that should be fine.

I'm worried that the electrical issue could cause them to have my trailer a while. If the wire problem is in a wall how else can they fix it but tear my wall apart? Then, things never go back together they way they should. They said it happened after I took it off the lot... 3.9 miles to my house. I'm calling BS on that one...
Old 04-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holladay View Post
Thanks guys. Sounds like it's mine now. Lesson learned. They rushed me through the PDI and gave me a very uninformed person to do the walk-through. I found some items that should have been addressed before I took possession of my NEW TT.
-HW Heater DOA
-All GFCI outlets dead
-No batteries in CO or Smoke detectors
Couple other nit-picky things that should be fine.

I'm worried that the electrical issue could cause them to have my trailer a while. If the wire problem is in a wall how else can they fix it but tear my wall apart? Then, things never go back together they way they should. They said it happened after I took it off the lot... 3.9 miles to my house. I'm calling BS on that one...
Much of what you found may be minor to fix (hopefully!). Was this a new or used unit? For ALL the GFCI outlets to be dead, there may be a tripped breaker or something else going on. Is your hot water heater gas and AC? For the AC part, there's usually a switch or little breaker inside the outdoor panel, as well as one in your breaker panel. For the gas part, could be propane not turned on, flue blocked, gas jet blocked (even a dead bug laying on it may cause it not to work), etc. Then there are the on/off switches inside.

I had a semi-knowledgeable person with me also for my Montana. That's what dealers seem to do! If nothing else, you learned a great lesson!
Old 04-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #7

Be careful if your dealer is in Indiana. Laws there are very protective of the RV industry. Lemon law for example does not apply to RVs.

We backed out in a deal in Indiana two days after Purchase Agreement. We agreed that we would lose our $1,000 deposit. Dealer was happy to point out the very fine print on the back that said we owed 10% of purchase price if we backed out.

Letters to the manufacturer and a uprising that I caused on a RV forum resulted on the dealer giving up and even refunding my deposit.

Just be careful. You may not be able to refuse delivery just because the unit is not perfect.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #8

New unit. I did all the GFCI stuff already - looked at all outlet wiring; there's a short somewhere. The HWH had a corroded thermostat wire.