Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Pre-purchase Inspection on RVs?

Hi All,

As you see from my info and the large number of posts (read that with a bit of tongue-in-cheek), I'm relatively new to the IRV2 forum. I have really enjoyed it and used it to help educate myself on this brave new world or Rving.

My lovely bride (of 37+ years) and I in October 2014 purchased a new to us 2003 Revolution 40C which is also our first MH. It took use several months of searching and learning what we could about MHs before we finally decided this was "the one".

We had worked toward the purchase of two other MHs but in retrospect, it was good those deals fell apart. I know we wouldn't have been as happy with the other ones as we are with this one. Guess we some how followed advice we read online that you should try to make your first MH the one that normally takes people three tries to get the right one for them.

With that as a backdrop, I've read many other posts where people are looking at used MHs. It can be a tough task to determine if the MH is a good one especially, if you're buying from a private seller. Hopefully, if you buy one from a dealer, they'll have corrected many of the issues and will stand behind the MH after the sale.

Please note that I'm not a vendor and the following is just my musings on RV inspections.

When you buy a stick home, it's pretty much a sure thing that you'll have a home inspection but never heard about the same thing for a MH. Wouldn't that be a good service?

Well, as I've been wading through the countless articles and vast array of information on the RV lifestyle, I came across some information about RV inspection services. I'll be darned but there seems to be a growing field in providing these inspections.

Interesting concept on the inspection. I see how it would be especially useful for those not that inclined in the areas of mechanical, plumbing, HVAC, electric (12V/120), chassis, and drive train.

I was a newbie when we bought our motor home in October. Iím pretty good with all the systems I mentioned above because of my Army and civilian experience as a Clinical Engineer type, but was impressed with the number and variety of small systems that work together to make the motor home possible.

I spent 4 hours over 2 days going over the MH and checked everything I could think of or had read about as I did my research on what to look for when purchasing a used MH. Now, that Iíve had it for 2 month and have gone over every thing in it and fixed many things, Iím a bit better versed in it.

In fact, I bumped into another person looking to purchase a MH. We got to chatting and I was able to share several things to look at when evaluating potential purchases. He was very appreciative and it made me feel good I was able to help our someone just starting in their journey.

So, to help those that are looking for their first or a replacement RV I put in a link to one company that provides this service. RV Inspection Connnections provides this service and I'm sure there are others but I like that their inspectors are certified by the National RV Inspector Association. Heck, it even has me thinking about doing some more training and getting certified. Might be a good way to make a few bucks doing something I enjoy to supplement my retirement income!

One final note is the RV Inspection Connection even has an arrangement with Tom Johnson for doing your fluid analysis. For those following the Allison Forum, Tom is also know as "Mr. TranSynd". That thread, Former Allison Fluids Engineer, is a long one but is packed with good information.

Tom also did an article about having your fluids checked as part of the inspections. Here's the article for your reading pleasure. RV Daily Report Article.pdf

Take care and look forward to participating with the forum members!

Dave & Young
2003 American Coach Revolution 40C
Link to Projects on our 2003 Revolution 40C
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
May the light of dawn's early light fall upon all the unwashed members.

RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Mr. Dave, thanks for that information. I asked that question in another thread. I am in construction and we often purchase used heavy equipment, sight unseen. There have been reliable 3rd party inspection services for many years, that do precisely what we are talking about. Even the automobile industry has evolved with Ebay and other web based sales and offer a network of inspection services. It seems like it has been a relatively untapped market in the RV industry.

I didn't get a reply to my question so did some searching. I came up with only a few services and with a very broad price structure. One even had a list comparing 3 levels of inspection services offered. The highest level included 2 oil samples. IMO you need at least 3 - 4 if you include the generator and differential. Seems like a business that may be ripe for the picking. One of the service even offered a guide book for DIY inspections for $19.99. I wonder how different, if any, that it is from the many PDI list that are available on these forums?
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

purchase, rvs