Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
Premature de-winterization

We dewinterized our TT last weekend and went camping. At the time the long-range forecast did not look too bad. Unfortunately it has taken a turn for the worse and the low for tomorrow night is 20 (followed by a low of 22 the night after). :bang head:

Unfortunately I am out of the pink stuff and haven't been able to find any at the usual sources on my side of town. So far I have taken the following actions:
* emptied the fresh tank and hot water heater
* drained the water lines from the low point drains and opened all of the faucets
* Poured my remaining amount of pink stuff (wasn't enough to run through all the lines) into the traps
* disconnected the shower hoses (both inside and in outdoor shower) and removed the inline water filter housing.

I have 3 options I can consider:
1) Roll the dice and hope it will be ok
2) Run the furnace set to as low a temp as possible overnight on battery power. There is no electricity in the storage lot where I store it. I have used the furnace on battery power overnight before, but never when it was this cold. I don't know if the batter will last long enough. I would have to take the battery home to recharge it during the day so I could repeat it the following night.
3) Park on the street in front of my driveway overnight so I could run an extension cord to it and keep the heat on overnight. Due to a bend in the road this is best situation, but my 2 neighbors are nice and would not complain. This would be a pain in the butt as I would have to put it back in storage again in the morning (and repeat the whole thing the next night).

I would love to think I my prep work will be enough to get through it, but I am skeptical enough to be worried about it. Any ideas on how I should proceed? Unfortunately driving further south for the weekend is not an option.

Thanks for any advice you may have!

itscottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #2
Option #3.

Do you have an air compressor, you could also blow out the water.

Shawn and Donna
2014 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ, 2014 Hyundai Tucson
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have to agree with option #3 also. 20 degrees is a hard freeze, so any water left behind will freeze. I have had water lines replaced just once in 35 years of moho'ing, and trust me when I say you do not ever want to go thru that process.

Plug her into your extension cord to the house, use the furnace and/or small portable electric heaters up to the amperage on your cord and outlet on the house.

Next time, buy a case of the pink stuff and keep extras in the moho and in the garage. All of the above is so much easier than the worrying you are putting yourself thru now. I learned the hard way, too.

Good luck, hopefully it will be fine in the morning. Let us know.

Bruce & Judy, living the dream in Salida, CO!
2005 Nat'l Dolphin W22 Chassis, 2004 Jeep Liberty
"Let's Roll 'em, Let's Roll 'em!"
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It's a shame your not in the Detroit area. I could give you some pink stuff. ACE Hardware had it on sale for $2 a gallon with your ACE card last fall, and I got a little carried away buying it. I vote for option #3 with a heater of furnace on lowest setting.
Tricia & Dennis Lockhart
2010 Ventana 4333
Spartan MM w/Cummins 360 ISC
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
Air compressor

I have a friend that never buys the pink anti-freeze when he winterizes his RV...I have never done this myself but this is what he does and tells me he has never had a problem...He connects his air compressor to his fresh water pump suction line...He then removes the anode from his water heater,opens all the drains and faucets starts the compressor and lets it blow air through all the water lines in the RV for an hour...He says it work for him...
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #6
Never used pink anti in 30 years, blow out lines and pour windshield washer antifreeze in traps and shower.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
Personally, I would not trust using compressed air. The volume is fairly low, and may leave some water in low or restricted spots. Based on what I have seen as far as workmanship in the RV industry, I would not trust the builder to have run all the lines with a downward pitch.

I would think that the trick of removing the anode and then blowing the system with a leaf blower (high volume, low pressure) might well work.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
1. Open up all drains and all fausets.
2. Drive down the road, hopefully up and down some hills draining water.
3. Blow out your lines at about 40 PSI.
4. You are good to go. Worked for me at 10 below zero last winter. This winter was not as cold.
Mo Fred, South Central Missouri
1990 32' Barth Regency
8.3 CTA Cummins, 4 Speed Allison
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:25 PM   #9

I believe your option #3 is the best one. you will be able to keep the furnace on without worrying about the batteries going dead. It may be a pain in the neck. But nowhere near the pain if you have to start replacing plumbing.

Best of luck. Let how know how you made out.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:28 PM   #10
I'm in the same boat. I de-winterized the MH a week ago. Tonight the low is forcast to be 17*F. I know our RV garage stays about 10* warmer than outside, but that will be for a couple hours in the early morning. I'll rise early and start the LP salamander heater to heat the garage about 5 in the morning. Open the wet-bay doors and start the rear furnace for an hour.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:02 PM   #11
I've never known any instance where air froze. You're okay for the current conditions.

I left my trailer earlier to day with temps expected at 26 degrees tomorrow night. I drained the hot water heater, opened all faucets and drained the water at the low point.

It's important to cut off the hot water heater circuit breaker to avoid burning out the heating element. (Don't ask me how I know about this tip.) Upon my return, step #1 is to flood the hot water heater until the pressure/temperature valve overflows.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:40 AM   #12
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I brought it home and parked it on the street in front of my driveway last night so I could run an extension cord to it and run the heat. It ended up getting down to about 18 degrees. Even if it wasn't completely necessary it certainly helped me sleep better not worrying about it last night!

The low for tonight looks to be about 24, so not as bad. I haven't decided if I am going to repeat this process tonight or not.
itscottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:45 PM   #13
I use the belt and suspenders method and have had no issues ever!

After in drain all water, I use my air compressor (belt) to blow any water out, the suck in the pink stuff (suspenders) until the system is full.

Shawn and Donna
2014 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ, 2014 Hyundai Tucson
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote