Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2014, 05:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I don't think you can use a tuner on any GM vehicle with the HD designation. If you know of one that can be used and will improve torque and HP, I would love to check it out.

Bruce
Contact Wait4meperformance.com and ask about your truck. Odds are he has developed a tune for your particular engine.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco23FB View Post
I understand that fuel with alcohol has more valve deposit issues.....???
Actually no, that stuff is an aggressive cleaner. Your valves will look as good as new after a hundreds thousand miles.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #17

Ford V6 after 158k on the clock. No fuel system cleaners other than 87octane
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131108_111848803_HDR.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	355.8 KB
ID:	58238  
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
If you want to use 92 octane fuel get a tuner from 5StarTuning to take advantage of the higher octane. The new tune will gain you about 25 HP+ 25 FT.LB. TQ. Premium fuel burns slower and can leave un-burnt deposits in your emission system if tuned for regular gas. (shorten the life of your Cat)
Higher the octane, the more it resist pre ignition. Octane is a measurement and the lower the octane, the easier it ignites. Compression ignition happens on high performance engines if high octane (premium) isn't used and that is bad for the motor (unless it is a diesel). That is why racers with high compression motors use 106 and higher race fuel. Using higher octane than required does not produce more power. It actually robs you of power. My motorcycle mechanic proved it on a dyno for some skeptics in our Victory club. His advice is to use the grade high enough to prevent pinging but no higher. He also tore down a motor that had a bad slap to it. The guy used premium and rode it like a slow poke. Turned out to be a layer of carbon that would break loose and would slap the top of the piston causing the noise. The guy now opens it up on occasion to clean it out.

By changing the tune, you can start using premium to match. An easier thing to do is to mix grades of fuel to get an acceptable mixture. If you pump 10 gallon of the regular with 10% ethanol and 10 gallon of premium without ethanol, you cut it to 5% ethanol and split the difference on the octane (89 - 93 = 91 octane). Here in Florida the higher octane gasoline in the better stations have more cleaners added than the lower grades. We have the choice of 3 to 5 grades depending on the station. I can use the lowest grade on my bike during winter, but in summer, the heat requires me to get mid grade to prevent pinging. This is an air cooled motor, it is more sensitive than a water cooled v8.

As to the higher grade being alcohol free, when traveling to Sturgis last August I noticed the higher octane was ethanol free in SD. I guess it was for the ATVs I saw everywhere. I used it in my bike while there. The grade I use in Florida wasn't enough for the altitude out there even though it has an ECM to adjust for needs of the motor.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #19

Two great apps / links for low cost, ethanol free gas are Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada and gasbuddy.com

When they sell ethanol free gas around here they automatically lower the octane rating so it's a wash.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebaldeagle View Post
Are you 100% positive that the 92 octane has no Ethanol? I know that over a year ago all the terminals were forced by EPA to add ethanol or face a rather large fine! Many stations still don't post the required notice that the fuel contains ethanol and several still have the "Our fuel contains no ethanol" signs up. It tickles me while I am hooked up delivering gasoline and a driver tells me that they buy gas there because it's one of the few with no ethanol. Next time you see a fuel driver delivering where you think it's ethanol free, ask him to see the Bill Of Lading. Or just ask the station to see the last BOL. I think you will get a surprise!

As for not filling up while a tanker Is delivering, when was the last time you heard of anyone that actually had a problem with this? Today's technology has improved to where we have fiberglass tanks in the ground and much better filtration systems. Also after that truck leaves it would take several hours for anything that was stirred up to settle. Ethanol will hold water for DAYS. Again, the filtration systems take care of it much better now!
Yes - It is a big thing around here. Station advertise "No Alcohol" and it is tested.
Jayco23FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re: using premium. It will cause no problems with the engine, The only possible problem with using Premium is this: Modern engines have a device called an anti-knock sensor this tells the computer to adjust the timing so as to prevent what is called per-ignition knock. If you are running premimum, which is highly resistant to per-ignition knock, and that sensor fails, You might never know it. (The problem is if you ever have to fill up with regular then you gonna notice it big time) There is no problem running "High Test" in a low test engine, The reverse however, is not true.

Oh, and then there is the cost.. but some folks on here do not worry about cost.. I mean look at the folks bragging about OPTIMA batteries.. The most expensive battery you can reasonably put in an RV (There are more expensive types but they are still classed as "Exotic") Some folks just like to spend more money than they have to.. more power to 'em I say.. American needs the tax income.

Tags
fuel