Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #1

Premium Fuel

My truck (2007 Chev 2500HD 6.0L) needs only 87 octane fuel. The regular fuel in my area has up to 10% ethyl alcohol. The premium is 92 octane without alcohol. Is there any problems running prem. fuel in my truck to aviod the alcohol? I know years ago running prem. fuel could mess with the knock sensor operation.
Jayco23FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #2

Why spend the bucks as the computer will keep it correct.

Should be new enough to be good on the fuel.

Check with your local auto dealer to have them confirm it as non ca vehicles may be later with the fuel system compatability.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #3

I understand that fuel with alcohol has more valve deposit issues.....???
Jayco23FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #4

Plenty of other stuff to need not worry about that.

Only need to worry about the fuel system compatability.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #5

Ethanol "enhanced" fuel comes with a 10% mileage penalty. As long as the premium costs less than 10% more, you will be ahead.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #6

If you want to use 92 octane fuel get a tuner from 5StarTuning to take advantage of the higher octane. The new tune will gain you about 25 HP+ 25 FT.LB. TQ. Premium fuel burns slower and can leave un-burnt deposits in your emission system if tuned for regular gas. (shorten the life of your Cat)
Old 03-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see any problem in using it, but doubt the value of doing so. Your engine is made to run with a variety of fuels, including E10 gasahol, and the engine computer will manage nicely. Yeah, the mpg goes down, but in my area the premium costs 10% more anyway, so it would be a break even. And much of the time, the "up to 10% alcohol" is in fact little or no alcohol at all.

The chances of the engine ever knocking on premium fuel are about zero, so the knock sensor doesn't ever get a chance to play.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
If you want to use 92 octane fuel get a tuner from 5StarTuning to take advantage of the higher octane. The new tune will gain you about 25 HP+ 25 FT.LB. TQ. Premium fuel burns slower and can leave un-burnt deposits in your emission system if tuned for regular gas. (shorten the life of your Cat)
I don't think you can use a tuner on any GM vehicle with the HD designation. If you know of one that can be used and will improve torque and HP, I would love to check it out.

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
Ethanol "enhanced" fuel comes with a 10% mileage penalty. As long as the premium costs less than 10% more, you will be ahead.
That would be true if the ethanol had no fuel value. It does, so the loss in mileage will be much less than 10%. Now if you are running E85, you will lose more than 10% in "gas' mileage. Newer autos are designed to run on 10% ethanol. Don't worry about it. A bigger worry is filling up when the tanker is dumping fuel in the underground tanks, possibly stirring up the junk that has settled to the bottom.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I don't think you can use a tuner on any GM vehicle with the HD designation. If you know of one that can be used and will improve torque and HP, I would love to check it out.

Bruce
Bruce:
Try talking to Mike at Got a GM/GMC ยป 5 Star Tuning.
He is trusted tuner in the RV and truck industry. (also a Sponsor here) I trust him 100% and so do 99.99% of his customers.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #11

Are you 100% positive that the 92 octane has no Ethanol? I know that over a year ago all the terminals were forced by EPA to add ethanol or face a rather large fine! Many stations still don't post the required notice that the fuel contains ethanol and several still have the "Our fuel contains no ethanol" signs up. It tickles me while I am hooked up delivering gasoline and a driver tells me that they buy gas there because it's one of the few with no ethanol. Next time you see a fuel driver delivering where you think it's ethanol free, ask him to see the Bill Of Lading. Or just ask the station to see the last BOL. I think you will get a surprise!

As for not filling up while a tanker Is delivering, when was the last time you heard of anyone that actually had a problem with this? Today's technology has improved to where we have fiberglass tanks in the ground and much better filtration systems. Also after that truck leaves it would take several hours for anything that was stirred up to settle. Ethanol will hold water for DAYS. Again, the filtration systems take care of it much better now!
Thebaldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ethanol fuel in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #13

All stations hereabouts have 10% ethanol corruption no matter the grade. I have confirmed, as have other riders, that my KLR650 lost five MPG - from 53 to 48 MPG. I haven't tested the MPG loss in my two vans.
I do buy non-ethanol-corrupted gas for my gensets and lawn equipment.
Ethanol in gasoline is one of the most heinous scams the goobermint has foisted on us. It's always a bad sign when a civilization begins burning their food!
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Ethanol in gasoline is one of the most heinous scams the goobermint has foisted on us. It's always a bad sign when a civilization begins burning their food!
Couldn't agree more...A few months back I signed a petition because they wanted to raise the % of junk gas. The corn lobby needs a way to unload all it's subsidized excess corn...We're now at what is know as the "Blend Wall". They have to find some way to trick us into drinking up more of this corn and waste product their blending.

My last tow vehicle took regular 87 octane, but usually I put in mid grade to get a little better mileage. But with that said, I did go threw 3 oxygen sensors in 9 years with only 53 k miles.

My new tow vehicle is E85, but there is no way I'll ever put any of that junk in there. Tried to order my new Tundra without a E85 engine...they said you had to take it, even thou there was a non-E85 5.7L engine listed on the order form...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel