Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2018, 06:40 AM   #1

Post Preparing for our first RV

My wife and I are going to buy an RV in a couple of years, and we are learning all we can right now. It looks to me like buying an RV can be a really expensive mistake if you don't know what you are doing, so we want to learn all we can. Part of that is hanging out on forums like this, watching videos on YouTube, subscribing to newsletters, etc.

We just took our vacation for this year, and we found an RV we could rent through AirBNB. It was in the Leelanau Peninsula area of northern Michigan, and gave us a week of RV living. The rig was stationary on the owners' property, so we didn't drive it anywhere, but since we don't have the truck right now to tow a travel trailer that was not a problem. What we really wanted to do was experience living in one and see if we still liked it. We did, and we also got further in deciding what features we want when we buy ours. It was a good experience, and well worth the cost (about $800 for the week). The next thing we need to do is decide if we want a travel trailer, a fifth wheel, or a Class C motorhome. We want to stay at no more than 30 feet so we can go to National Parks.
Ahuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2018, 06:57 AM   #2

Did you have a question?

In general, you are on the right track. I hung out here for 2 years before we went full time in a Class A. I personally think the forums are a better place for information than YouTube. In a forum, you get an open discussion and multiple opinions. On YouTube, you generally get the opinion of one person. Countless times here someone will post, with absolute resolve, how something is or how something must be done. Countless times my experiences are quite different. So with an open discussion you get more feedback and are then able to make the best choice for you with the information gained. You also get to ask follow up questions to get a better understanding of your particular issue.
Good luck in your research. Let us know if we can help.
J
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:19 AM   #3

Your budget is going to be the decision maker for what you purchase. Let us know what you are thinking for a budget and we can give you some ideas.

As far as expensive goes... try to avoid trading in. Most of us understand that we can’t afford a million dollar rig as our first purchase. So we start with a trailer and trade up as life changes such as kids moving out, divorce or death. Life happens, you just have to suck up the cost and move on.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahuka View Post
My wife and I are going to buy an RV in a couple of years, and we are learning all we can right now. It looks to me like buying an RV can be a really expensive mistake if you don't know what you are doing, so we want to learn all we can. Part of that is hanging out on forums like this, watching videos on YouTube, subscribing to newsletters, etc.

We just took our vacation for this year, and we found an RV we could rent through AirBNB. It was in the Leelanau Peninsula area of northern Michigan, and gave us a week of RV living. The rig was stationary on the owners' property, so we didn't drive it anywhere, but since we don't have the truck right now to tow a travel trailer that was not a problem. What we really wanted to do was experience living in one and see if we still liked it. We did, and we also got further in deciding what features we want when we buy ours. It was a good experience, and well worth the cost (about $800 for the week). The next thing we need to do is decide if we want a travel trailer, a fifth wheel, or a Class C motorhome. We want to stay at no more than 30 feet so we can go to National Parks.
We started out looking for something under 4000 lbs to tow behind out Ford Flex. We found this trailer and boy was I hot to buy it. The "Little Guy" looked great behind my Flex, was in our budget and was small enough to park in my yard. Then we discussed what my Mrs wanted/needed and we ended up with this Grand Design 2670MK. (No, my Flex could not pull it. Not even close) and my new Ford F-250 superduty. I'm glad we got the bigger camper. It's really our home away from home. We're as comfortable in it as we are at home. The point being, do your homework, watch as many YouTube videos as you can and hit every show. In the end after we decided on the Grand Design, we just waited till we found our deal. Believe it or not, it wasn't much more than the "Little Guy". Here's wishing you the best of luck with your choice.
Neil and Liz Click image for larger version

Name:	max-clip3.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	217111Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0713(1).jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	217112Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0814.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	217113
AKA...Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:37 AM   #5

you lived in one for a week.

NOW it is ALL about the floorplan that SUITS you guys

doesn't matter if 5th, TT or MH or Class B or C etc.

floorplan that works for you guys is tops on all this.
buy what will work for your lifestyle.

you can easily get 30 ft in TT or toyhauler or 5th or (more rare on size for an A but they are out there) or a big old Class C for that size.

just look.....and when that one floorplan bites ya and it is what you want and feel you can easily live in, go for it.

and if it is not you deal for a while, change up your expectations of what you want and how you travel, then you go for the ever-loving fun trade and it is fun, while we all know money can be burned in all this.....we also know that the money spent is also what makes this lifestyle a hoot and fun as heck

hope you find what you love and want and if not, down the road shop again and learn thru it all
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:49 AM   #6

Quote:
doesn't matter if 5th, TT or MH or Class B or C etc.
In my opinion, it does matter, a lot!

The initial cost, ease of driving/maneuvering, ease of set up/take down, license costs, insurance costs, and maintenance costs all add into the decision making process. The need for a vehicle (tow vehicle vs toad) to run errands in once at camp is another thing to think about. Each type has its pros and cons.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:22 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

You've come to the right place for an RV education! Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:58 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
What are you driving now? Is it something you could tow behind a class A orC. That would be in the savings column.

If you go for a TT or 5th wheel you need to add a truck to the cost to tow them. There are pluses and minus to either Motor Home or trailer. We started out trailer and are now MH, I now prefer MH class A
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:05 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome. You are certainly off on the right foot. Try renting a few others including a Class C for a short trip to see how they "feel"

You have lots of time so don't be nervous about finding one...it will find you
Good luck and enjoy the adventure.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:11 PM   #10

We researched for a couple of years before we bought our first one. We went to a couple RV shows every year. Looked at the floor plans in person. But we also researched how the RVs were built, framework, thickness of walls and insulation, quality of finishes, etc. You get the picture. What ever you decide to pick, new or used, go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything works.

The dealer we bought ours from (it was a smaller mom and pop type dealer) knew that we were newbies and they advised us that we pick it up on a Friday and take it out for the weekend to a near by campground to make sure everything was in working order. They said if something is wrong they would work on it right away. You don't get that from places like Camping World or other big name RV dealers. When we picked it up they also had one of their workers walk us through "everything". They even advised us to video it with our phones so we'd have something to reference. They were super. From what I've read on these forums you'd be hard pressed to find a dealer like we had. There are a few people that like Camping World, but for the most part, most people will tell you to stay away from them. All they are interested in is selling you their product. After you sign on the dotted line they don't give a S@@t about you. Before we went full time our neightbor had bought a nice class A from the Colorado Springs Camping World. The first 6 months of ownership it was "in the shop". They kept telling him it would be ready "next week"....well that turned into 6 months of being in the shop!!!

After 14 months of full timing in our travel trailer we were experiencing a brake issue with the camper brakes. We just happened to be back in the area of where we bought our TT and we called them up. They had us bring it in and they fixed it on the spot.

I guess my point is to not only research what type, brand, etc of RV you want to get, but also research the dealer!!! It'll make all the difference in your world of after the sale experience.

Good luck in your research!!! That's half the fun!
Old 09-01-2018, 04:54 PM   #11

[QUOTE=Whirrlly;4376107]you lived in one for a week.

NOW it is ALL about the floorplan that SUITS you guys

That is certainly important for the Spousal Approval Factor. We had looked into Airstream, but she wants more space and that means slideouts. And we know we have to have recliners and more counter space.

I'm trying to focus more on quality of construction.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #12

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

You've come to the right place for an RV education! Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Thanks for the welcome. I have been lurking for while to get to know how the group interacts.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #13

Need new vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
What are you driving now? Is it something you could tow behind a class A orC. That would be in the savings column.

If you go for a TT or 5th wheel you need to add a truck to the cost to tow them. There are pluses and minus to either Motor Home or trailer. We started out trailer and are now MH, I now prefer MH class A
If we go for a Class C, I would need to get a new vehicle as what I have now (Mazda 3) is not towable. If we get a trailer, I would need to get a truck, but since I work for Ford that should be pretty easy to pull off.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmrad View Post

The dealer we bought ours from (it was a smaller mom and pop type dealer) knew that we were newbies and they advised us that we pick it up on a Friday and take it out for the weekend to a near by campground to make sure everything was in working order. They said if something is wrong they would work on it right away.
That is a concern for us as well. But I think we will probably by a gently used RV so that we don't have to eat all of the depreciation. But I want to find a quality dealer.