Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #1

Preparing for Repairs?

We need some work done which I think will involve:

1. Leaving the coach.

2. Having techs inside the coach.

3. Accessing the engine through the bedroom.

We are not familiar with the shop other than it's a Freightliner dealer. It's located in sort of an industrial area in Jeffersonville, Indiana and while we did see a couple of older motorhomes sitting against a fence (looked like they had been there awhile), we didn't see any other motorhomes but there were a gazillion semis sitting neat rows. We stopped when the problem first started but they couldn't not look at it then so we left. Now, we're having the fan clutch repair done that I've posted about previously.

I'm worried about ... everything.

The slides, the tile, the mess, the TVs (especially the one outside). I know the bedroom slides will have to be extended and I imagine at least one front slide will have to be extended so they can get parts in & out.

I'm thinking about just staying with the coach while it's there! Not sure how'd that go over at home though.

Anyway, what do you do to prepare the coach for strangers in greasy oil boots & clothes tromping through with new parts & old parts?

traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have mine worked on at my local CAT shop and they are extremely sensitive and lay down papers for the workers to walk on so they do not touch the flooring. Even put a plastic cover on the driver seat so as not to soil the leather. If it is a reputable shop, they should be well versed on keeping your rig like it was when it rolled in. They don't want to have to pay for a detail on the interior. Randy

Old 10-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
1. Leaving the coach.

I'm thinking about just staying with the coach while it's there! Not sure how'd that go over at home though.

Anyway, what do you do to prepare the coach for strangers in greasy oil boots & clothes tromping through with new parts & old parts?
Karen
I feel your pain.
It is nerve wracking having techs at $100+ an hour shops rutting around in, and under, your "baby".

In my experience having professionals work on your coach is much like playing Russian Roulette.....(I have had my Kwikee steps broken, my battery wiring messed up, found paint in my toilet bowl, my wheel cover retaining nuts stripped, as well as unsuccessful work performed at supposedly "reputable" shops).

BTW, "strangers in greasy oil boots & clothes tromping through" has been the least problematic...(cleaning up grease and oil is an inexpensive DIY project).

Mel
'96 Safari, 134k miles (105k mine)
Old 10-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #4

Is this Republic Diesel?
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #5

Have you discussed your concerns with the service manager? He's the one you'll be working with if something does go wrong. If that discussion doesn't go well, I'd be nervous too....

Other than that, suggest you do a walk through prior to paying the bill. A few pictures taken of the areas they'll be working in might help prove the coach wasn't "already like that" if there are any disputes.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post

1. Leaving the coach.

We are not familiar with the shop other than it's a Freightliner dealer. It's located in sort of an industrial area in Jeffersonville, Indiana and while we did see a couple of older motorhomes sitting against a fence (looked like they had been there awhile), we didn't see any other motorhomes but there were a gazillion semis sitting neat rows. We stopped when the problem first started but they couldn't not look at it then so we left. Now, we're having the fan clutch repair done that I've posted about previously.

The slides, the tile, the mess, the TVs (especially the one outside). I know the bedroom slides will have to be extended and I imagine at least one front slide will have to be extended so they can get parts in & out.

Karen,

The good news is that you have a very specific problem being addressed. The more you can do to cut down on the shop time putting down floor protection the better. Cheap painters drop cloths taped down is good.

Many Freightliner shops have electric hookups & will let you spend the night. I even got to stay in the coach in a bay while work was being done. May depend on the shop.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Have you discussed your concerns with the service manager? He's the one you'll be working with if something does go wrong. If that discussion doesn't go well, I'd be nervous too....

Other than that, suggest you do a walk through prior to paying the bill. A few pictures taken of the areas they'll be working in might help prove the coach wasn't "already like that" if there are any disputes.
Great idea!
That might disprove the often used exclamation "WE DIDN'T DO IT"!

BTW, don't forget to snap a pic of the water in the toilet bowl in case they decide to spray some silver paint in there when doing an oil change....
Believe it or not that happened to my toilet at a Cummins shop.
(Of course they DIDN'T DO IT)!

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #8

Take photos of everything first...
Old 10-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If it's a Freightliner OASIS (RV qualified) dealer, you can expect they are at least familiar with motorhomes rather than trucks, but ask the service manager/advisor about how they protect the interior as a reminder that you are expecting it be returned clean. If not an Oasis dealer, I would be very worried and think about going elsewhere if possible. If you can't, have a veryfrank discussion about your concernsand ask how you can help make things go right, e.g. by putting down your own floor covering, etc.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Is this Republic Diesel?
It's Kentucky Truck Sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
If it's a Freightliner OASIS (RV qualified) dealer, you can expect they are at least familiar with motorhomes rather than trucks, but ask the service manager/advisor about how they protect the interior as a reminder that you are expecting it be returned clean. If not an Oasis dealer, I would be very worried and think about going elsewhere if possible. If you can't, have a veryfrank discussion about your concernsand ask how you can help make things go right, e.g. by putting down your own floor covering, etc.
Kentucky Truck Sales isn't on the FL/Oasis dealer network listing and I don't see any mention of Oasis on their website.

We are supposed to take the coach tomorrow (Wed) afternoon and they'll get us in line to be checked 1st thing Thursday morning. Gary asked about security and they do have a fence, security lights & cameras but nothing was said about security guards. He asked about parking the coach inside and was told they didn't know about that.

I'll take pictures in the morning & talk to the service manager when we get there.

And worry till we get home with the coach!
Old 10-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

We just left our coach for a week at a body shop for some paint work, while we camped nearby in a suites hotel. I had no concerns at all, but the shop specializes in motorhome work and the owner (and his dad) are RVers themselves. They keep it plugged in whenever practical (they have 50A outlets all over the place), drive the coach better than I do, and always keep it in locked area (inside or at least fenced). They are pros when it comes to RV work, which is why I choose them over competitors.

By the way, it is Mike's Collision & Frame in Wilmington, NC.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:09 PM   #12

If you're full-timers, be sure to take all your valuables and medicines with you. We lost medicine on one visit for repairs. So, thereafter we remove all jewelry and medicines from the cabinets. Seems there is always someone around with sticky fingers.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #13

Our baby spent the night with a bunch of semis in the lot at the FL dealer. We got her there yesterday. The fan never did kick on and Gary had to pull over twice to let it cool and the alarm went off another time just as he was merging onto the interstate. Fortunately, we merged at the top of the hill so he was able to "coast" down the hill a little which brought the temp down right away.

The motorhomes we saw there before were gone and there was a Discovery inside being worked on. The shop was clean which was encouraging. In fact, when we walked in, there was a guy running some sort of floor washer/cleaner machine in one of the bays. The service manager used to work at a local RV dealer so he is familiar with the need to keep them clean and over worried parents. He said the techs hate to work on them because of having to keep clean but they take every precaution and put plastic down everywhere. He said they don't want to have to detail the inside of a motorhome! I took a gazillion pics of the interior before we left her there.

They were not familiar with the Service Solution though which makes me think this is the first one they've done but I showed them the email that I got from FL and they made notes. I asked about them being an Oasis dealer too and the Service GM said that FL had been talking to them about it but there is a lot involved and they didn't know that they wanted to commit until they were sure the RV market was really on the upswing. They had put in a body shop recently though and if they kept seeing positive growth for RVs, they may tackle Oasis too. I encouraged them to do so! The nearest Oasis dealer to us is 2+ hours away.

I've managed not to call today to see if she made it though the night okay but no guarantees that I won't call tomorrow or even go by and check myself!
Old 10-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Check around for A Cummins Coach Care facility near you. They handle all kinds of motorhome work - not just Cummins engines.

Tags
repair, repairs