Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2017, 06:20 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
As much as we hate going inside, we hate handing our credit card over to any merchant blindly even more. Too much fraud with that. So normally the DW goes in with the card and gets them to start the pump. I pump the diesel. She settles the bill. Card is always in sight. Works for us.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
I solved this problem by buying a Walmart gift card for $500 at a time so when I fill up their fuel, I am limited only to the balance on the card, plus they give a 3 cent per gallon discount for using their gift card.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:30 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Since you are using diesel, get a flying J / Pilot rv credit card. It works at the pumps and you can pump much faster. Before I got the card I would have DW go inside to pay and we would communicate via cell phone to make sure we didn't over pay.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #18

I have been using Pilot for several years, applied for a card. No longer pre-pay, swipe card for $.05 discount on diesel, pump fuel then go inside and pay with credit card. 40' towing, so I don't have a lot of options about stations. Never had a problem.
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:52 PM   #19

Getting ripped off on NYS Thruway for gas.

Years ago our family was traveling in our station wagon for the Thanksgiving holiday. My dad had the attendant fill up the gas tank. The attendant said the dollar amt. owed. I was in the third seat and saw the pump said less $.Inother words he tried to help himself to a nice tip. I caught him and we only paid what the pump said.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #20

I always prepay inside since I have a 100 gal aux tank in the pickup bed. If I did swipes at the pump, it could be 4+ times which will also trigger a card stoppage. At only 6-8 fill ups a year, it's no big deal taking the extra time to go inside.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
As much as we hate going inside, we hate handing our credit card over to any merchant blindly even more. Too much fraud with that. So normally the DW goes in with the card and gets them to start the pump. I pump the diesel. She settles the bill. Card is always in sight. Works for us.
We do that too, DW likes to shop around while I'm pumping diesel.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
My dad had the attendant fill up the gas tank.
I don't understand. I've never heard of an attendant filling up a gas tank. I thought they just sat behind the counter and took your money.

Come to think of it, what's a "station wagon"?
Old 11-30-2017, 07:29 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I don't understand. I've never heard of an attendant filling up a gas tank. I thought they just sat behind the counter and took your money.

Come to think of it, what's a "station wagon"?
Obviously a youngster in our midst... Some of us old farts remember those days. And it was really neat when someone started a gas war. Prices would tumble. Always interesting to see how low they would go.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:35 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm with the group that swipes the card at the pump again if needed. I detest going into the store if I don't have to. Usually only go in to use the restrooms.

Years ago, when I was traveling a lot and pay at the pump came in, I made it a rule that if the pump didn't print a receipt and forced me to go inside to retrieve the receipt, then I wouldn't spend a nickel in their store. I think a lot of stores purposely killed the printers to force people inside hoping they would buy stuff when they came in. I still adhere to that rule.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:35 AM   #25

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Obviously a youngster in our midst... Some of us old farts remember those days. And it was really neat when someone started a gas war. Prices would tumble. Always interesting to see how low they would go.
jt
Yup,.. and when we got married, we got our first set of drink tumblers, and steak knives as free gifts for getting fill-ups at the gas station. That was 47 years ago, and I think we still have some of those knives.
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:37 AM   #26

Go to NJ and try to pump gas. The attendant will run over and tell you to stop.
You can only pump your own diesel, if its on a seperate island with no gas pumps.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:57 AM   #27

I also hate going in the station but one time I wanted the cash discount. I gave the lady $200 and walked out to pump. The pump was OFF, went back in and the lady said I'm turning it on now. Went back out and the pump was still off. She then said that I pumped $82 and I'll get your change. I told her I didn't pump any fuel and then she started to argue with me. The boss came out and as my voice started going up he said he was calling the cops! I said don't bother, I'll call them, the sheriff, my lawyer, the local newspaper and the local radio station. The boss then said he would look at the camera tapes. I was not going to move away from the pumps if it took all day. I could tell that the lady was getting nervous and when the boss came back out he fired the lady and apologized to me up one side and down the other! What am I supposed to do, take a picture of the lady taking my money?? Now I get a receipt!
Old 11-30-2017, 08:08 AM   #28

I have always gone back inside and gave them my card, and they would adjust the Pre-payed amount to the actual amount pumped. I thought I had to?
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote