Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2017, 08:17 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation Prepaying at the pump - lesson learned

As many know if you use your credit card to buy a large amount of fuel such as diesel at the pump likely you'll get stopped at some amount such as $75. I learned from others here to go in and prepay for the fuel then pump. I've been told to date that I'll only be charged the amount pumped. I filled at a Marathon in OH a week ago and have been watching my CC online and still see the prepay amount. It was never adjusted for the amount pumped. I had to call the station, they said it depends on the CC machine they use whether it's connected to the pumps or not. The cashier did not instruct me to go back inside after I was done pumping.

Sharing the lesson learned, be clear and/or verify after you prepay that the exact amount will be reconciled to your card. The station did not have record of my actual amount pumped, I even recalled the pump number but they could not verify the amount pumped and I don't have the receipt with me. We settled on an amount refunded. I pumped on 11/25 so it was only 4 days ago and they cannot reconcile their gas! So beware!
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2017, 08:28 AM   #2

Give it some more time. I always prepay and have never had a problem. It can take upwards to a week for the transaction to reconcile itself. The other option you have is to call your credit card company and let them know of your problem.

ps. It's always beneficial if you have a receipt
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I can't prepay inside or I will lose my 5% cash rebate on the PenFed card!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:31 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
No, I talked to the station and you had to go back in. The machine the cashier used did know the amount pumped and for some reason the cashier did not handle it. Had I not called it would have remained as is at $200. As a business owner myself I hate when people do credit card disputes and I didn't want to put them out $200 but instead contact them and work it out as was done. So again, not all stations will auto reconcile the actual amount pumped. Don't leave without clearly knowing and definitely keep the receipts.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:51 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
I keep a log of my miles along with fuel fills and I always get and keep all fuel receipts. I also get a charge alert for the exact amount through apple pay within a minute or two of completing transactions, but I pay at the pump (my tank is a tiny 40 gallons).

I concur with others that it usually takes longer than 4 days for charges to reconcile.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have always had to make 2 trips inside the station.
1st trip to put XXX amount on pump. Receipt for that amount is given.
2nd trip to get receipt that shows gallons and amount pumped, and refund to card.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:01 AM   #7

When I prepay, I always go back inside to settle up and get the final receipt. It's pretty much required and the station attendant should have reminded you to come back inside. The final cost should be the only item showing on your CC bill.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #8

I just fill up often enough to avoid hitting the $75 limit at the pump. On the rare occasion when I do go over the pump limit I've never had an issue with reinserting the card for another $75 worth. Seems most systems will allow you to insert the same card twice but balk at a third use.

When you think about it $75 is 20-25 gallons of fuel (gas) and at 8MPG that's around 150-200 miles. I need to stop for a little stretch after driving that distance anyway. Heck, that's usually my daily driving limit.

I never allow anything on my credit card without getting a valid receipt. I even print receipts for on line purchases.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pays to keep the receipts

Keep the receipts!
Several years ago I filled up at Winchester, VA on my way to a three month stay further south. Used two gift cards and cash at the inside counter. Didn't use that brand again until we continued our travels west. Next stop none of my Credit nor Rewards cards would work at the RV pump so I had to go inside. There I was advised that I was a "nonpay drive off" from stop at Winchester. Their resolution was going to keep me there longer than I wanted to dealing with the home office. I finally said make a copy and fax it in. Must of worked.
Still have the receipt....
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Simple rule to remember when prepaying for fuel. Regardless of the payment method, cash or credit, treat it as cash. You have to consider that probably 99.9% of prepaid purchases are cash and the customer filling up to the prepaid limit and leaving. The attendant will then close out the sale for the prepaid amount unless the customer returns for their change.

Personally I find it easier just to run my card, or cards if necessary, multiple times to refill the tank.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #11

I have found that only a few stations make the adjustment for actual amount paid. Even when they say they will make an adjustment, I usually go back in and get a receipt. The confusing thing is that once it has been done automatically for you, it is easy to assume that all stations do it.

In some cases, I pump to the limit allowed by credit card pre-pay. Then I try a second time. Sometimes it works, but when it doesn't, I use a different credit card. I usually hate to go in those stores, especially when they are crowded and you have to wait 5 to 10 minutes.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:04 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post

...Personally I find it easier just to run my card, or cards if necessary, multiple times to refill the tank.
Same for us. It seems in the last few years, the amount that credit cards allow has gone up, so having to reswipe is not the problem it used to be. Back then it was a problem, we used two different cards, if the swiping one card twice was not enough, we would then use the second card. Never had to swipe the second card twice.

BTW, getting behind someone who went in to pay because they were using cash bothered me, but not near as much as getting behind in line people who went in to get authorization, then back in to settle up. Would be nice if places had pumps for pay at the pump only. Good thing I am not in a hurry since I am retired.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #13

I use 2 credit cards.. different accounts... even different banks.

1 for Fuel ONLY.
1 for everything else.. and for fuel if needed.

I do not want to go inside for anything...
over priced and weeks to months OLD on the shelf.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:18 PM   #14

Neal, here in OH we find any way we can to keep tourist dollars. As you discovered some are more creative than others.

Like Chuck I despise going into the station if I don't have to. On occasion I have tried to pump gas without going in to prepay and many times the pump will be turned for me to use. Other times I just swipe the credit card a couple times if necessary. Now that gas prices are lower I haven't reached the cutoff limit for quite some time. When prices were higher and I had a diesel I always had to swipe twice.

TomC
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote