Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
The discussion in this thread leaves me wondering whether this exercise is to protect the property vs reduce costs. We shut down the water to the washing machine, set various lights on timers and turn the thermostat down (but still leave the furnace running) when we leave town. We've installed enough "remote management" capability to be able to check the internal temperature of the house while we're away to be able to confirm that the heat is on - and make arrangements to ensure that somebody checks on the house every 3-4 days. The idea of completely shutting down the water system and the heating plant would be a stretch for us.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2016, 11:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
The discussion in this thread leaves me wondering whether this exercise is to protect the property vs reduce costs. We shut down the water to the washing machine, set various lights on timers and turn the thermostat down (but still leave the furnace running) when we leave town. We've installed enough "remote management" capability to be able to check the internal temperature of the house while we're away to be able to confirm that the heat is on - and make arrangements to ensure that somebody checks on the house every 3-4 days. The idea of completely shutting down the water system and the heating plant would be a stretch for us.
Since our summer house no longer has heat, draining the system is the only option. Electric rates, for heat, are way to high in NY.

I suppose we could reactivate the propane furnace and hire someone to plow the 300 ft driveway, so the propane truck can get there.

Your right, I'm too cheap for that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Since our summer house no longer has heat, draining the system is the only option. Electric rates, for heat, are way to high in NY.

I suppose we could reactivate the propane furnace and hire someone to plow the 300 ft driveway, so the propane truck can get there.

Your right, I'm too cheap for that.
Agreed ... I'd be winterizing in the manner being discussed if I were in that situation too! My comments were based on my situation - house in a suburban setting, heated via natural gas, etc. Way different than the scenario you're describing!
Old 11-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #18

I call the internet provider and water and sewer before we leave and our bank that has our debit account.. You may get a cut rate on internet and utilities while your gone.. we do.. We winterize the house as others have mentioned. neighbor has house key and sometimes parks visiting relatives car in our garage.. We leave the heat on at 55 degrees.. lights on timers, lots of outside lighting on photocells..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:42 PM   #19

Our homeowner insurance requires that the residence be checked once per week otherwise insurance is invalid.
emuller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #20

In winter we turn off water, and drain the water lines. We leave the hot water heater on and the furnace set for 50 F. Turn off the ice maker. As for mail, our mailbox is mounted in a stucco covered wood framed housing which is about 32" x 32" x 60" high. I removed the bottom of the mail box and the mail accumulates below, and inside the housing. I used to let it accumulate for several months but now I have a friend remove it and place inside our home every 2-3 weeks. 90 percent of our important mail is online. We have done this for 10 years w/o a problem.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:39 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our plumbing and water heater are in the basement. I turn off the water, shut off the water heater, set the furnace to 50. The basement is unheated, but never gets below 40 even in the dead of winter. I do leave the wate r faucets in the kitchen and baths open. I have a relative check on the house weekly.