Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd2 View Post
It's not really my coach. Most of it belongs to a bank in California
In will bet the bank is not the one that will take it in the shorts if things are damaged!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not use a pressure washer on an RV. The pressure can drive the water into joints and cause serious damage. It can also lift the stick on graphics.

Ken

Old 10-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #17

If the nozzle is set to a fan and it's held no closer than a foot or so it's really no worse than driving down the road in a hard rain. You just have to use some sense around electrical connections, the edges of decals, caps on fluid reservoirs, peeling clearcoat, and gasketed joints.

I've never had a problem that wasn't caused by my inattention. That said, I pay close attention!

I find it indespensible when dealing with diesel grime. Makes working on just about anything much easier - I don't strip stuff, snap stuff off when I can actually see the condition of the items I'm working on. Not to mention that you come out a lot cleaner as well!
Old 10-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought a gas one at Costco about five years ago. Really great for doing lots of stuff. I don't know offhand what the pressure is but I can drill holes in wood real fast.

It came with about 6 nozzles, however, I only use one of them. Has a Honda engine that always starts.

I don't use it on my coach nor cars.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:36 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I'm another who feels that a pressure washer is the wrong tool for washing a coach. Several risks and no advantages that I can see (and I do own a 1200 psi electric for other jobs). But it's your coach...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd2 View Post
It's not really my coach. Most of it belongs to a bank in California

Then Go For it !
No all kiddin' aside I used a pressure washer on a Freightliner tractor once never again. Almost got fired.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
If the nozzle is set to a fan and it's held no closer than a foot or so it's really no worse than driving down the road in a hard rain. You just have to use some sense around electrical connections, the edges of decals, caps on fluid reservoirs, peeling clearcoat, and gasketed joints.

I've never had a problem that wasn't caused by my inattention. That said, I pay close attention!

I find it indespensible when dealing with diesel grime. Makes working on just about anything much easier - I don't strip stuff, snap stuff off when I can actually see the condition of the items I'm working on. Not to mention that you come out a lot cleaner as well!
I agree 100% with what you are saying. My old pressure washer was rated at 1200PSI. The unit was even furnished by the manufacturer for the specific purpose of washing the 5th wheel and my old unit even had stick on graphics. There were also special connections on the trailer for using the washer.

Anyone who would use a 2500 or 3000 PSI washer on their coach with the same tip used for cleaning concrete deserves what they get. One of my previous units came with a tip to be used with the soap that was made specifically for washing

My local car wash uses 1500 psi wand for all the bays. The last 4 bays are for large truck and trailers and they are always in full use and believe me there are some very expensive tractors going thru the bays.

At the RV park I stay at in Florida there are guys with mobile units that are in there every day using washers on everything from a 20' pull behind to one half million dollar coaches. The one exception is that they do not go near the roof with the PW they use a soft brush. They would not be in business long if they were doing damage.

I fully understand the concern many of you have expressed and agree with you about the possibility of damage if used incorrectly. I am sure we all have enough common sense to use a tool correctly. Many manufacturers have warnings about the incorrect use of pressure washers or, any tool for that matter.

I have been going back and forth about this for the last week or so and have decided on a unit mentioned earlier by VanDiemen. AR North America - TRX It may not be able to do some of the other jobs I talked about around the house, at least not as quickly, but I am sure in the end it will be able to get the job done.

Thanks for all your input

Dick
Old 10-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Pressure Washer Qualty

Based on my experience with 2500 psi gas washer - Honda engine, there are (at least)two quality levels. The $350 washer I started with did a good job on decks and driveways, concrete walls and the sun-baked crud on my boat gunnels. 2500 psi WILL peal paint. After just a couple of years of regular use it suffered a catastrophic pump failure. Since I had a perfectly good Honda engine I looked for a replacement pump. The guy at the on-line pump store told me the identical replacement (fine ceramic pistons) would be good for 50 hrs, just like the OE pump. I bought an oil lubed replacement pump like the more expensive commercial units have. Still running great well past 50 hours (but you have to watch the oil level).
My 2 cents: for extensive use - buy a commercial grade unit.
BTW: a great accessory is a turbo-tip nozzle, much faster cleaning of large surface areas like driveways without wearing your arms out

2007 NEWMAR 3613 VTDP
2015 WRANGLER JKU toad
Doodlebarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebarge View Post
Based on my experience with 2500 psi gas washer - Honda engine, there are (at least)two quality levels. The $350 washer I started with did a good job on decks and driveways, concrete walls and the sun-baked crud on my boat gunnels. 2500 psi WILL peal paint. After just a couple of years of regular use it suffered a catastrophic pump failure. Since I had a perfectly good Honda engine I looked for a replacement pump. The guy at the on-line pump store told me the identical replacement (fine ceramic pistons) would be good for 50 hrs, just like the OE pump. I bought an oil lubed replacement pump like the more expensive commercial units have. Still running great well past 50 hours (but you have to watch the oil level).
My 2 cents: for extensive use - buy a commercial grade unit.
BTW: a great accessory is a turbo-tip nozzle, much faster cleaning of large surface areas like driveways without wearing your arms out
I agree, the best unit I ever had was a Mi-T-M. A friend offered me a good price for it and I sold it. Big Mistake............
Old 10-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 1700 psi Husky electric that I bought from Home Depot or Lowes (whichever one sells the Husky) that I've used for several years. I use it to clean the driveway, curbing, pool deck, landau frame, eves and siding on the house, and etc. I don't use it on the coach. For the pressure I would use washing the coach a water with a good nozzle works just as well. It came with a couple of different nozzles and works well. Be sure and do not leave soap or anything else in the dispenser bottles (it has two) after use. Make sure they are empty and well rinsed.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #24

There's nothing wrong with a power washer to clean your MH. That is basically what htey use in a commercial car wash.You do have to be careful of what kind of nozzle (fan spread preferred) and how close you hold it. There is also a misconception that pressure (PSI) is important and while it does to a degree matter the more important factor is GPM gallons per minute it is the amount of water that determines how fast it will clean. Unless you're trying to strip paint off metal super high pressure is a waste of money. Go for water flow