Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

Pressure washers

Looking for a new pressure washer for the coach. I would like one that I can also use for other jobs around the house that has different tips not only for the coach but as an example washing down the driveway.

I was thinking about one that is around 2500 PSI

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance.
Dick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Electric or gas?

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Electric or gas?
I have always had gas but if electric can do the job that works
for me. There are lots of horror stories about pressure washers both
gas and electric and even some of the big names, which is the reason behind my asking the question of the board members. I know I will get some straight answers

Thanks
Dick
Old 10-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #4

A while back after spending 50 bucks on various repair kits for my POS Husky unit from Home Despot, along with a dozen or so hours of taking the thing apart and reassembling multiple times, I decided to get a unit I didn't have to worry about any more. The Husky only had about 10 hours on it at failure.

I didn't want another big gas unit to mess with and store, and the big electric units from Northern Equipment required a dedicated circuit. But Annovi Riverberi had a really nice 115/15A unit. lower pressure but higher volume, and a really compact size. It's a professional quality unit and would store well in an RV:

AR North America - TRX

I can't say much for their customer service - a couple of sales guys I talked too were truly obnoxious - but it's a first class rugged as hell product. It has a plunger pump instead of the cheap radial pumps found on the stuff you get in the stores.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
A while back after spending 50 bucks on various repair kits for my POS Husky unit from Home Despot, along with a dozen or so hours of taking the thing apart and reassembling multiple times, I decided to get a unit I didn't have to worry about any more. The Husky only had about 10 hours on it at failure.

I didn't want another big gas unit to mess with and store, and the big electric units from Northern Equipment required a dedicated circuit. But Annovi Riverberi had a really nice 115/15A unit. lower pressure but higher volume, and a really compact size. It's a professional quality unit and would store well in an RV:

AR North America - TRX

I can't say much for their customer service - a couple of sales guys I talked too were truly obnoxious - but it's a first class rugged as hell product. It has a plunger pump instead of the cheap radial pumps found on the stuff you get in the stores.
This is a very impressive unit. The heart of any washer is the pump and
the fact that this one has plunger pump with ceramic pistons and connecting rod system is a good indication of quality

I was not able to find a price and I don't want to talk to that obnoxious
person. What would I expext to pay?

Thanks
Dick
Old 10-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
My washer has a fixed pressure that is controlled by the size of the tip. Smaller the hole, more intense spray. Mine is 3000PSI and that will remove paint. In fact when spraying my deck it removed wood! I would not want much pressure on the surface of my MH so I believe the smaller washers that plug into the wall would be enough to clean the MH. Also, it is easy to ruin the pump if the water supply is not on. Running the pump when dry will blow a pump within seconds. I did that and found that taking it to the authorized repair shop cost me just a few dollars less than completly replacing the whole thing. I also found that there were 1 or two manuf of the things and buying the ones that were considered for professional use over the homeowners type gave you a much better washer. I also must admit that all my research happened 3 or 4 years ago and many of the details now escape me. You also need to winterize the darn thing as freezing it will again require a trip to the repair shop.
I believe if I were to do it again I would get one of the small ones and rent a large one from a rental yard should I have a need for larger jobs. My son-in-law has a small one and finds it adequate for his needs to clean his deck and driveway.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #7

I'm thinking it was around 400 bucks. Three years ago that was the only model like that that they carried, but now they have several variants. Google around you can find retailers.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
CD

I agree with Larry B. 2500psi will remove mud, paint, wood, and caulking etc. I was also concerned about blowing water past the siding joints (allum siding). I just use a long handle brush and a bucket of soapy water.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
My washer has a fixed pressure that is controlled by the size of the tip. Smaller the hole, more intense spray. Mine is 3000PSI and that will remove paint. In fact when spraying my deck it removed wood! I would not want much pressure on the surface of my MH so I believe the smaller washers that plug into the wall would be enough to clean the MH. Also, it is easy to ruin the pump if the water supply is not on. Running the pump when dry will blow a pump within seconds. I did that and found that taking it to the authorized repair shop cost me just a few dollars less than completely replacing the whole thing. I also found that there were 1 or two manuf of the things and buying the ones that were considered for professional use over the homeowners type gave you a much better washer. I also must admit that all my research happened 3 or 4 years ago and many of the details now escape me. You also need to winterize the darn thing as freezing it will again require a trip to the repair shop.
I believe if I were to do it again I would get one of the small ones and rent a large one from a rental yard should I have a need for larger jobs. My son-in-law has a small one and finds it adequate for his needs to clean his deck and driveway.
Larry..

Thanks for the input. I had a small electric that was part of the equipment furnished on my old rig. It was fine for washing the coach but not for much else and it has since gone the way of all inexpensive small units and is in its proper place in a landfill. My thought was to purchase a good quality unit with multiple tips that could handle any pressure washer job I needed done. Most small units come with a wand and not tips which makes the spray pattern hard to control for other jobs besides washing the coach. I am not to concerned about weight due to the fact that I will not be taking it with me on trips but obviously lighter is better. I usually wash the coach at home before and after trips. Most washers that are around 2500 PSI have tips suitable for washing the coach and other tips for doing jobs around the house.

Gas is another possibility. If I needed one to take in the coach, electric,
light weight, and around 20 amps would be the obvious choice.

Thanks.

Dick
Old 10-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Be careful using a pressure washer on an RV, it will blow out caulk and sealant, and peel back your stick on graphics.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I'm another who feels that a pressure washer is the wrong tool for washing a coach. Several risks and no advantages that I can see (and I do own a 1200 psi electric for other jobs). But it's your coach...
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd have to join the crowd for not using a pressurewasher on your coach.
Not only for the reasons mentioned but it can also force water where you don't want it.
I wash my coach by hand, may use a mop type head when I'm feeling lazy.
May use a low pressure washer on the underside but that hasn't had to happen yet.

Regards,
RovinOn
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #13

The old washer I had was an electric and was rated at 1200 PSI. It used an adjustable wand in place of different tips. When you opened up the wand it was like a garden hose with good pressure. It did a good until it died. My graphics are painted on and have never been a problem. I would suppose that if you
placed the wand 6 inches from the surface you could cause some damage. The quality of the washer was such that it was hard to control the soap. You either had too little or too much with no happy middle ground.

It does not appear that there is a washer that will be adaptable for both uses. I guess I will end up doing what I always did, which is break out the soft brush and the mitt. Itís not like I could not use the exercise

Thanks for the input

Dick
Old 10-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I'm another who feels that a pressure washer is the wrong tool for washing a coach. Several risks and no advantages that I can see (and I do own a 1200 psi electric for other jobs). But it's your coach...
It's not really my coach. Most of it belongs to a bank in California